• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 4,288
  • Replies 36
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted_171835

OP

“The way that we work with Monster Hunter games is that we see them as single entities, so we don’t develop for one platform and then think about porting it to another platform. The situation with the 3DS and the Wii U is that we wanted people to play this game a lot, so that’s why we have taken this [multi-platform] approach with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But it doesn’t mean we’ll do that with new entries.”

“The series did start out on Sony platforms, but it’s just realistic to think that it can’t continue on one platform forever,” says Tsujimoto. “With Monster Hunter 4, it actually just came down to timing - we were developing a new Monster Hunter and the 3DS hardware had just come out, so we figured it was probably the best platform for us to develop it on. You have two screens, with action on top and menus on the bottom, and there’s the 3D view as well. It just made sense to put it onto 3DS.”

http://m.ca.ign.com/...-multi-platform

The real reason it's on the 3DS:

3ds-it-prints-money.gif

Reactions: 3 people

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Capcom would have chosen DS if it was powerful enough to run it. Soon as they saw the beefier 3DS, they banked on 3DS to be a success in next gen handheld consoles.

Now seeing the Vita struggling I'm sure they are not regretting their decision.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would not rule out a Vita version of MH4 just yet, albeit it would see the light of day much later.

Notice what the official said - "The 3DS just came out, so it made sense to develop for it." - they are quite clear on the issue, it was a matter of timing.

inb4MonsterHunter4G? That'd be pretty cool.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

OP
I would not rule out a Vita version of MH4 just yet, albeit it would see the light of day much later.

Notice what the official said - "The 3DS just came out, so it made sense to develop for it." - they are quite clear on the issue, it was a matter of timing.

inb4MonsterHunter4G? That'd be pretty cool.
Keep dreaming. Vita Monster Hunter is never happening because for one, they'll be splitting the user-base. Monster Hunter is a local-multiplayer centered game and splitting the userbase on two platforms doesn't make sense. And two, the Vita is selling horribly.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Keep dreaming. Vita Monster Hunter is never happening because for one, they'll be splitting the user-base. Monster Hunter is a local-multiplayer centered game and splitting the userbase on two platforms doesn't make sense. And two, the Vita is selling horribly.
They already split the user base. Monster Hunter was released for the PSP (Portable 1, 2, 3), Wii (Tri), XBox 360 (Frontier Online), PC (Frontier Online) and PS3 (3 HD) at the same time, what makes you think that they will magically change their strategy now? Heck, There's even an iOS version (Dynamic Hunting).

The only reason why Monster Hunter was not on the DS was due to its specs.

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I would see Monster Hunter Portable 4 on Vita.

Monster Hunter 4? Very low chance. So far each MH games have been a company exclusive. Eg Portable 3rd on PSP/PS3, Tri Ultimate on 3DS/WiiU, Portable series exclusively on PSP etc.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For whatever reason, that second quote annoys me.
"but it’s just realistic to think that it can’t continue on one platform forever,"
Yeah, but there's no reason to move it completely between companies like that.
Why not just have MH4 on the Vita and 3DS? Are they really saying the 3DS has better hardware? :O

D

Deleted_171835

OP
They already split the user base. Monster Hunter was released for the PSP (Portable 1, 2, 3), Wii (Tri), XBox 360 (Frontier Online), PC (Frontier Online) and PS3 (3 HD) at the same time, what makes you think that they will magically change their strategy now? Heck, There's even an iOS version (Dynamic Hunting).

The only reason why Monster Hunter was not on the DS was due to its specs.
All the portable Monster Hunter games were on the PSP. The PS3 game is just an up-port (to a console so they aren't splitting a user-base). The 360 game is an MMO and like I said, the Wii one isn't splitting the userbase since it's on a console and there is no local play.

"but it’s just realistic to think that it can’t continue on one platform forever,"
Why not just have MH4 on the Vita and 3DS? Are they really saying the 3DS has better hardware? :O
Reading comprehension, you lack.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Vita and 3DS are unique in their own ways, really. There are some things which the Vita version can't do, and there are some things which the 3DS can't do as well.

For example, the mapping solution for Tri U. The Vita can do that, but it will be a lot of hassle for the player. 3DS/WiiU can do that perfectly as it has the second screen for much easy access.

I'm not saying the Vita won't get a MH, it's quite obvious that it'll have one. Maybe they'll use the rear pad to do some stuff? Who knows?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All the portable Monster Hunter games were on the PSP. The PS3 game is just an up-port (to a console so they aren't splitting a user-base). The 360 game is an MMO and like I said, the Wii one isn't splitting the userbase since it's on a console and there is no local play.
...what are you talking about?

Monster Hunter games were released on a myriad of platforms - that's splitting the fanbase. To have all Monster Hunter games, you had to own a number of consoles. That's the very definition of the term you used. They've done it before and I don't see why they wouldn't do it again - regardless of whether the games were up-ports, down-ports or not ports at all. Not to mention that Monster Hunter games originate on the PS2, not the PSP.

D

Deleted_171835

OP

Monster Hunter games were released on a myriad of platforms - that's splitting the fanbase. To have all Monster Hunter games, you had to own a number of consoles. That's the very definition of the term you used. They've done it before and I don't see why they wouldn't do it again - regardless of whether the games were up-ports, down-ports or not ports at all. Not to mention that Monster Hunter games originate on the PS2, not the PSP.
Portable Monster Hunter games have a heavy local multiplayer focus. The portable ones were all for the PSP just like the future portable ones will all be for the 3DS. Releasing a Monster Hunter game for multiple portable platforms will just cannibalize sales.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

He literally meant the [Monster Hunter Portable] series.
All the [Portable] series Monster Hunter games have been PSP/Vita exclusive with the exceptions of the HD up ports.
All the Tri games (Tri on Wii, Tri G on 3DS and WiiU) will likely be Nintendo exclusive.
If the trend follows then all the "4" series games will be Nintendo exclusive too.

Reactions: 4 people

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm wondering is whats with the Cell shaded graphics well it looks sorta cell shaded or is it just me lol :P I mean we've seen what the 3DS is capable of sure in time the system will get pushed even further. I can't wait to see what the Wii U version of MH3 will look like man its gonna be epic!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Portable Monster Hunter games have a heavy local multiplayer focus. The portable ones were all for the PSP just like the future portable ones will all be for the 3DS. Releasing a Monster Hunter game for multiple portable platforms will just cannibalize sales.
Portable games are subject to the same rules of marketing as non-portable ones. It would not cannibalize anything - Monster Hunter was not released on the DS only because the DS was too weak to support the game. There is no reason whatsoever to not release any MH games on the Vita.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Portable games are subject to the same rules of marketing as non-portable ones. It would not cannibalize anything - Monster Hunter was not released on the DS only because the DS was too weak to support the game. There is no reason whatsoever to not release any MH games on the Vita.
Er, it would. Portable games focus heavily on local multiplayer because they're on a portable platform. Console Monster Hunters don't have a heavy local multiplayer focus because they're on a console...which is well stuck in your in living room. And aside from splitting the userbase being an issue, the Vita's horrible sales is another factor.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
More platforms a given piece of software is available on = wider userbase = more sales.

Nobody's crying over the fact that Vita gamers would have to play with Vita gamers and 3DS gamers would have to play with 3DS gamers. Welcome to the world of multiplats.

Platform exclusivity makes sense only when it's a first party or if the company is paid to make the game exclusive.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Not necessarily. The portable Monster Hunter games are quite popular in Japan because of the local multiplayer. Releasing on both platforms would just split the userbase. If you have some friends that own a Vita and Monster Hunter Vita and other friends that own a 3DS and Monster Hunter 3DS, which system and game do you get?

Keeping the game on one system doesn't split the user-base (keeping Monster Hunter customers on one platform) and just makes more sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM