Capcom to shut down all projects at their Vancouver studio

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 18, 2018.

Front-page
    IMG_1459.PNG

Capcom Game Studios Vancouver, an offshoot of Capcom which is known for creating games like Dead Rising 2, 3, and 4, is facing further difficulties. Earlier this year in February, 30% off the studio's workforce had been reportedly laid off, leading to the cancellation of an unnamed Unreal Engine 4 title. An official press release dated for today, September 18, 2018 states that Capcom will be facing losses by shuttering all in-development projects at the Vancouver studio, to the tune of 4.5 billion yen. None of the terminated games were officially announced at any point, nor were the number of projects disclosed, but at least two games were being worked on. A Dino Crisis reboot had also been thrown around as an idea at the company before the layoffs had begun. Capcom's main branch is currently assessing the future of their smaller, Canadian studio. Despite the losses incurred from this, no other projects outside the aforementioned studio have been affected. Capcom Vancouver was previously known as Blue Castle Games, and has created The Bigs, Puzzle Fighter, and all Dead Rising content after the first entry.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (20 replies)
  1. JamiePashley

JamiePashley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2011
    United Kingdom
    England
    Hopefully they'll keep throwing around the idea of a Dino Crisis Reboot.. hell i'll take a remaster

LuigiXL and KiiWii like this.
  2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    capcom going brokeCOM? :creep:

NutymcNuty likes this.
  3. Digs

Digs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    It's a shame, that studio always seemed like they had a lot of talent that was squandered on ok-ish games, or maybe they were just mismanaged.

Last edited by Digs, Sep 18, 2018
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Dinocrisis reboot would be amazing.

Metoroid0, Y0shII, RedoLane and 2 others like this.
  5. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    This so much! That game gave me creeps lol

KiiWii likes this.
  6. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    I can't say that anything of value was really lost with this, but who knows what they were developing at the time.

7. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Replace zombies by fast running raptors. Resident Crisis. Dino Evil.

Profit on nostalgia factor.

MartyDreamy likes this.
  8. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    RIP Puzzle Fighter :cry:

Last edited by LuigiXL, Sep 18, 2018
  9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    we need a dino crisis reboot or even remaster the first 2 games i will take those even on current gen remastered.

Wrathcaster and LuigiXL like this.
  10. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    I wouldn’t worry about it, from what I’ve heard they gave their employees some notice or at least dropped hints my one one of my friends from college dan was working their he recently mentioned he already got picked up by EA already.
    Plenty of game studios have Vancouver branches the talent will go elsewhere

Last edited by dude1, Sep 18, 2018
  11. chartube12

chartube12 CPT Chazz 713

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Maybe Nintendo or Sony will buy them out!

12. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Dead Rising 2 was alright. Outside of that, bleh... They will not be missed.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Curious to see so many remembered and enjoyed Dino Crisis. While I did not think I was alone I thought it to be a fairly small club and one history had largely written off as "poor resident evil clone" (though I would say most that got that never aimed to be resident evil and instead actually tried to give it their own spin).

Anyway Capcom's financial woes have been the subject of discussion for several years now ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/capcom-has-152-million-left-in-the-bank.354497/ ). I know they tried to claim this last year was not so bad but... yeah.
    That said that they are shuttering rather than selling or spinning off (don't know why Tencent is not involved in all this as they seem to be everywhere else) raises an eyebrow for me.

14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh dear god no! I hope some 3rd party Japanese company merges with them. I'd rather see Capcom stay 3rd party.

15. CrossOut

CrossOut GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It is a shame that those people will likely lose their jobs. Hopfully they will get jobs elsewhere. A Dino Crisis reboot would be welcome in my eyes the games where not great after the first one.

16. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Yeah its always sad to see companies letting people go like this.

17. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    As always, what worries me is people losing jobs in the creative industry. It's so hard to make the climb to a studio, and then it gets shut down... hopefully they will handle it like some other firings in which most people were transitioned elsewhere.

18. Spunky247

Spunky247 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    Germany
    I hate CAPCOM for not bringing VR experience of Resident Evil 7 to PC Version!!! They said its time exclusive, but after waiting for so long i am totally pissed of them :-(

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Capcom is gonna have to find the magic they lost from the nes and snes days. If they dont they are gonna slam and go the way of Konami. Some of that magic came from games made from their own engines. not unreal 4

20. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    They're nothing like Konami who has a CEO that doesn't even like video games. They are doing fine with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry etc.... This is just one studio that was making tired Dead Rising games. Not a big loss.

I mean think about it this is a Capcom studio in Canada. Not exactly their bread and butter.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Sep 19, 2018
    Xzi likes this.