• Replies 39

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They should make Resident Evil...IN SPACE.
Oh wait...
They tried that with dino crisis 3.... it did not go well.

Anyway Operation Raccoon City seemed to be an alternative universe in all but name and I could see a reboot working.

Also "not enough bullets"..... I am willing to face that I might just be bad at games but RE5 on harder modes saw me have to conserve ammo, go for knee shots and finishing moves and more.

Reactions: chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also "not enough bullets"..... I am willing to face that I might just be bad at games but RE5 on harder modes saw me have to conserve ammo, go for knee shots and finishing moves and more.
That's what I love when I play games like these, is having to actually take precise aim to conserve bullets. There's always that feeling of regret when you totally waste a bullet by accident or when you miss.
Ammo conservation was always a must in the older games, these newer ones seem to have a lot more lying around. However, you do have to search for it still, so it's not that bad. Perhaps just making extra ammo much harder to find would suffice more.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's what I love when I play games like these, is having to actually take precise aim to conserve bullets. There's always that feeling of regret when you totally waste a bullet by accident or when you miss.
Ammo conservation was always a must in the older games, these newer ones seem to have a lot more lying around. However, you do have to search for it still, so it's not that bad. Perhaps just making extra ammo much harder to find would suffice more.
I never tried to conserve ammo.
They are everywhere!!
Even Dogs carries ammo ....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, thats the thing that irks me, finding ammo in such random places and finding so much of it.
I mean, why would a dog be carrying 50 rounds of TMP ammo? ._.

I know some things take a suspension of disbelief but we have been training dogs to carry things for years

St+Bernard.jpg

redogsod.jpg

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Remember those old days, where you had about 6 bullets in one measly little pistol, and there were small groups coming toward you? Not even Hordes, just small groups, that you didnt know if you'd be able to fend off with what little ammo you had?
ZombiU is like that. If there's a group of 3 or more zombies in an area, you either avoid the area and sneak around it, or run through and hope you find a ladder or a narrow enough choke point where they'd be forced to come at you in single file. Because if they spot you, you're pretty much fucked, even with a pistol.

I mean, the game is called RESIDENT Evil. As in, trapped in a Residence with small hope of escaping without fear of being trapped in a corner and being eaten alive?
Revelations did a good job bringing that back a bit.
The game was developed in Japan and released there first, where it's (more appropriately) called Biohazard. Not quite sure why the title was localized to Resident Evil for the West. But I guess at the time they couldn't possibly have anticipated that the game would eventually grow into an entire franchise too large to be contained in a residence.

*ON TOPIC*
I wouldn't mind a reboot as long as they return the series back to its roots in "survival horror" and they don't screw it up. Though I would miss Ada Wong :wub:

The upcoming Tomb Raider reboot looks amazing. Game reboots don't have to be bad.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
That happened with Street Fighter II. That awful movie with Raul Julia as M. Bison and Jean-Claude van Damme as Guile had a game made after it. So it was a game, based on a movie, based on a game.
Same thing with dragonball evolution on PSP, I think there's even a spin-off RE game based on the newest movie, not a fully fledged game on a console but still, we can't rule out that possibility.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I love the RE series as much as the next guy, but I wish they would give it a break already and give some time between the releases.
Maybe then they can pick up Breath of Fire again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That happened with Street Fighter II. That awful movie with Raul Julia as M. Bison and Jean-Claude van Damme as Guile had a game made after it. So it was a game, based on a movie, based on a game.

I remember seeing it, I sometimes wonder how much it was made thanks to Mortal Kombat doing well at the time.
I do not know if I can call the live action street fighter awful though, by no means was it great but I do find it quite watchable. Of course Raul Julia being in it (our younger and less informed readers- if you had to look him up on IMDB then for shame and best not to cop to it, still you probably know him as Gomez from the Addams Family) means I would have probably enjoyed it regardless.

Upon reflection though I do actually reckon the films could be adapted (about as heavily as the films themselves were) to make something nice. Some of the CGI resident evil films could work quite well and would also do well in the "bringing it back to the roots" some have been calling for.

Edit- as for time between releases. Main games and might as well be main games (0 and code veronica) have been fairly evenly spaced from what I have seen. Now remakes, "director's cut", gold versions and actual spinoffs might paint a different story but I am surprisingly OK with that- I know I have not played one since sunshine but it is like Mario for me in that I can just ignore the party games and other nonsense.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, the game is called RESIDENT Evil. As in, trapped in a Residence with small hope of escaping without fear of being trapped in a corner and being eaten alive?

I believe the "resident" part is referring to evil that is present, as in residing in the game's world. I believe it's used more as an adjective here.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
They don't know how to make a scary game; it's all about killing a lot of zombies, kill the big bad bosses, go to the next level, upgrade weapons, loot ammo from everywhere all to kill more zombies. You can just walk in to a room that has 5 zombies in it and just blast them all like they're nothing. There is never a sense of danger, the story is lame and the world of resident evil is awful.

When the last of us comes out for ps3, naughty dog will show everyone how a survivor horror action game is really done.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't know how to make a scary game; it's all about killing a lot of zombies, kill the big bad bosses, go to the next level, upgrade weapons, loot ammo from everywhere all to kill more zombies. You can just walk in to a room that has 5 zombies in it and just blast them all like they're nothing. There is never a sense of danger, the story is lame and the world of resident evil is awful.

When the last of us comes out for ps3, naughty dog will show everyone how a survivor horror action game is really done.
It wasn't always like that, the older games actually showed good promise.
tbh, Res 4 is one of my favorites of the whole series, even though it's when the series started becoming a bit too action packed.
And also, it isn't very easy to make a game scary. And I'm talking true fear, not just things hopping out of nowhere at you.
But I will agree with your last bit, I think the last of us is going to shed some good light on how survival horror should be done.

ZombiU is like that. If there's a group of 3 or more zombies in an area, you either avoid the area and sneak around it, or run through and hope you find a ladder or a narrow enough choke point where they'd be forced to come at you in single file. Because if they spot you, you're pretty much fucked, even with a pistol.
I have zombi-u, I've experienced all that and enjoyed it thoroughly ^.^ That's how survival horror should be done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk