Capcom Releasing Fan-made Street Fighter x Megaman for Free

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Capcom hasn't exactly been making buddies with the Megaman fan community (or Megafans) in the past couple of years but it may look like they're trying to patch things up a bit. To celebrate the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary and the upcoming Megaman 25th Anniversary, they're taking the best of both worlds in Street Fighter x Megaman.

The game plays like classic Megaman, except this time you'll be squaring off against some of Street Fighter's iconic characters. Ryu, Chun-Li, Blanka, Rolento, and Dhalism are all making appearances as bosses. And in Megaman fashion defeating each boss unlocks their power.

Street Fighter x Megaman was originally the fan project of Seow Zeong Hui, whose also a professional Street Fighter player. Capcom's Christian Svensson noticed Hui playing it on his laptop during this year's EVO tournament, and officially endorsed it as part of the anniversary.

The game will be available for free on the PC on the Capcom Unity website on December 17th.

:arrow: Source

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
^Not like they're, you know. Charging for it. Kind of gives off the perception that they made it though.
I know that they're both fangames and I appreciate all the effort, I'm just saying that this peaks my interests a little more. :lol:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of cool, but at the same time... seriously? How f-ing lazy can Capcom get???

We shouldn't really piss all over a good thing. They could have easily C&D'd the entire project but instead they're helping its creator make it a reality. I'd say that's quite good.

Reactions: Issac and lufere7

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It's a new MegaMan game, they are releasing it for free and they're giving credit to the original author. Give them a fucking break.

My only complaint is that they seem to be stuck in the Classic MegaMan style with the last 3 games being essentially rom hacks.
I'd really like them to experiment more, the variety of MegaMen is one of the things I love (or loved, we'll see)about the games. I hope the announcement they make with the release of this game is a brand new MegaMan.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
We shouldn't really piss all over a good thing. They could have easily C&D'd the entire project but instead they're helping its creator make it a reality. I'd say that's quite good.
I understand and agree with what you're saying, but what did they do, honestly? Endorsed it as an "official" Mega Man 25th Anniversary game and hosted it on their website. It sounds like a piss-poor attempt to please the fans to me, honestly. Like a douchey boyfriend recycling flowers he gave to his ex for his GF's birthday. :P
It's a new MegaMan game, they are releasing it for free and they're giving credit to the original author. Give them a fucking break.
They didn't release it for free. It was already available free. They're just endorsing it and hosting it on their site.

Edit: My apologies. I was misinformed regarding the game's release. Feel free to not acknowledge any other posts I make regarding the game already being available. :P

Reactions: XPro

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still want a new Megaman Battle Network game, those were my favorites out of the entire series. I've completed the 6th one about three times and I'm still considering playing it again. Sure, there's Star Force, but it's just not quite the same. A new game like Zero would be nice too though.
Edit: This is nice though, companies should do this kind of thing more often instead of just C&D'ing everything to hell and back.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love blind hate.
These days Capcom can do no right it seems.
You know what would be doing "right"? Actually releasing a freaking true Mega Man game in one of the "core" series (or else an entirely new series). Not releasing a social RPG spinoff available only for those with iOS devices and endorsing a fan game that was already available.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't say it better myself.

Capcom could throw $100 bills at their fans and they'd complain that they weren't lightly tossed underhand instead.
Nah, in that case they'd obviously be "too lazy to actually put love/effort/whatever's hip these days into a project and just pump in money" or something :P

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't say it better myself.

Capcom could throw $100 bills at their fans and they'd complain that they weren't lightly tossed underhand instead.
What part of "they didn't do anything," don't you understand? Endorsing a fan project that was ALREADY fully available is NOT doing anything except advertising it. Can you imagine if for Zelda's 25th Anniversary, Nintendo just took the Parallel Worlds Hack and "endorsed" it as an official game for the 25th Anniversary? It would be ludicrous, and there would be a huge uproar.

Honestly, if they just didn't acknowledge Mega Man's anniversary, it would suck, but I would be fine with that. But no, instead they're begrudgingly acknowledging the anniversary and trying to skate by with as little as they think they can get away with. "oh, if we release an iOS-only spinoff, they'll calm down." Or "Maybe if we remind them of a fan game that was already fully available for them to play, they'll stop bugging us." If they're not going to care, they shouldn't pretend to. I'd rather they not do anything at all than throw together a couple half-assed "gestures" that show they're barely even trying.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize there's a reason they don't do Megaman? Because it doesn't sell? They're not gonna take a dive just because a bunch of grumpy fans want a new big budget Megaman game.

Everyone's just a continual pessimist with Capcom. Any other case of "Big company supports fan creation instead of shooting it down" would receive applause, but not from Capcom. Instead it's "OH THEY'RE SO LAZY FOR NOT WASTING A TON OF MONEY ON A MEGAMAN GAME."

Even then, I bet you $100 that if they made a new Megaman, people would just goddamn whine about it and say "CAPCOM IS KILLING THE FRANCHISE FOR GOOD" or some bullshit. Why should they bother catering to a fanbase full of whiny, self-entitled kids?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whilst I am somewhat dubious that Capcom themselves are not doing anything for the Megaman 25th anniversary, it is wonderful that they are supporting this great looking fan project officially.

There have a number of great MegaMan fan games on PC, such as the de-makes of MegaMan 7 and 8 (which incidentally I find to be far better than the SNES and PSX originals), and even a small MM2 based PC game where you challenge all 8 robot masters at once. It's craaaaazy.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

MegaBassBX

The Noble Sate User
Trophies
XP
Country
You do realize there's a reason they don't do Megaman? Because it doesn't sell? They're not gonna take a dive just because a bunch of grumpy fans want a new big budget Megaman game.

Everyone's just a continual pessimist with Capcom. Any other case of "Big company supports fan creation instead of shooting it down" would receive applause, but not from Capcom. Instead it's "OH THEY'RE SO LAZY FOR NOT WASTING A TON OF MONEY ON A MEGAMAN GAME."

Even then, I bet you $100 that if they made a new Megaman, people would just goddamn whine about it and say "CAPCOM IS KILLING THE FRANCHISE FOR GOOD" or some bullshit. Why should they bother catering to a fanbase full of whiny, self-entitled kids?

Actually it's not that they don’t want to make a new games but that they just can’t as the creator of the MegaMan universe left Capcom to start his own Company, and he did make some new RPG game that featured some kind of robot girls I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: