Capcom ransomware leaks suggest Resident Evil 4 coming to VR, more

capcom-logo-1605529655560.jpg
After being hit by a ransomware attack last week, stolen documents have begun to emerge from Capcom, detailing plans for future releases. While nothing is set in stone, a statement released on Capcom's website has confirmed that "development documents" were stolen as part of the recent attack, lending some possible credibility to the leaks. Some of the highlights include:

-Resident Evil 4 will be getting an Oculus-exclusive virtual reality release
-Resident Evil VIII: Village is aiming for an April 2021 release date, and will release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as well as PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC.
-A new multiplayer Resident Evil codenamed "Project Highway" or "Village Online" that appears to be some sort of battle royale game.
-New Ace Attorney collection for Nintendo Switch and PS4, compiling the first three Ace Attorney games and localizations of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban ("The Great Ace Attorney") games. The Dai Gyakuten Saiban games were released in 2015 and 2017 and have been Japan-exclusive thus far. They focus on an ancestor of series protagonist Phoenix Wright and take place in Japan and Great Britain near the turn of the 20th century.
-A new IP codenamed "Guillotine" will be coming to the Switch as a timed exclusive in February, other platforms in May
-The source code for Devil May Cry 2 and The Umbrella Chronicles has leaked
-Google Stadia paid $10 million for Capcom to put Resident Evil VII: Biohazard and Village on the platform. Sony paid $5 million for the PSVR version, the timed exclusivity on DLC and the demo.

In their original ransom letter, Ragnar Locker claimed to have over 1TB of data belonging to Capcom. These leaks amount to only about 60GB, so it’s possible we’ll be seeing more leaks from Capcom in the near future.

Downloads for these files cannot be provided, though they are making their rounds across the internet, and have not been taken down from their original source yet.

:arrow: Source: 4chan

Last edited by Costello,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Uwabami Will this affect if your team continues the translation process?
I already bought the Japanese 3DS game, but if the digital switch version is sold at a fair price, I will buy it as well, hopefully the save can be transferred.

Last edited by Wuigi,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just hoping last night that we would be getting a Resident Evil VR sometime-
Specifically 4 :rofl:
I'm still annoyed that the Switch version didn't optionally allow you to have similar motion controls to what the Wii version had to offer. To this day I still think the Wii version is the best version of RE4, as its one of the third party games of the time that absolutely nailed how motion control was implemented and actually makes the experience all the more immersive. Woulda been nice to get that level of control on a modern HD version of the game.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They can't release Great Ace Attorney in English because they never bothered to unmangle the westernization/bastardization of the original translations, and the characters all come from the USA, they are not Japanese, remember? CALIFORNIA HOT ROLLS Y'ALL!

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't release Great Ace Attorney in English because they never bothered to unmangle the westernization/bastardization of the original translations, and the characters all come from the USA, they are not Japanese, remember? CALIFORNIA HOT ROLLS Y'ALL!
Why can't they translate them for the first time now? Wouldn't be the first time a game went unlocalized in the west in it's first release only to receive localizations later when the game sees a rerelease or remake or whatever.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may be just projects, anyone with a slight experience in the gaming industry knows that companies have lot of experimental projects but they will not necessarily see light.

Ps: I have no experience in gaming industry :P

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Uwabami Will this affect if your team continues the translation process?
I already bought the Japanese 3DS game, but if the digital switch version is sold at a fair price, I will buy it as well, hopefully the save can be transferred.

Reactions: Wuigi and relauby

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Resident Evil VIII: Village is aiming for an April 2021 release date, and will release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

YEEEEEEEEES !!!!!

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Great Ace Attorney leak is true, I'm concerned about how they're going to localize it. Props to the fan translation team's work before, but just keeping character names in Japanese is something I never agreed with. I very much hope the official localization finds a clever way around this.
I don't want this to go the direction of the latest Jake Hunter, it's confusing to have to re-learn a bunch of character names.

They avoided copyright by naming the character "Herlock Sholmes" and that's an absolute big brain move, I love it.

But more importantly ransomware is pretty terrible and I hope Capcom can get this situation resolved. Leaks are fun but not if it may be jeopardising the projects at the same time.

Last edited by xatzimi,
Reactions: Kwyjor

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I hope they do localize those 2 Ace Attorney games although part of me thinks they'd really need to make Sherlock Holmes as someone else due to copyright.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why can't they translate them for the first time now? Wouldn't be the first time a game went unlocalized in the west in it's first release only to receive localizations later when the game sees a rerelease or remake or whatever.
The games use Sherlock Holmes, which is still copyrighted in the US. They can probably just call him Herlock Sholmes like they do in some anime.

Last edited by fvig2001,

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games use Sherlock Holmes, which is still copyrighted in the US. They can probably just call him Herlock Sholmes like they do in some anime.

According to one of the leaked screenshots that's exactly what they appear to have done. I think it's very much in line with the series' humour, but jeez copyright sucks.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where does it say that The Great Ace Attorney will be localized? Heck, it even say on the picture "Japan only".

It says the physical release will be Japan only, which would imply a digital release overseas. There are also other slides that mention getting voice actors for the game and changing character names for international copyright law.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs