OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5044010/capcom-explain-r...t-participation

In case you missed it, Nintendo and 54 other companies are engaged in a legal battle against the forces of evil. Evil being the R4 cart for the DS. One of those 54 other companies is Capcom, and in a conference call they explained the reason behind their participation in the suit:

There are companies that sell downloads without any license in the U.S.A., while a considerable number of pirated copies of game software are available in the Chinese market. In response to these situations, this lawsuit took the initiative for the whole industry in terms of taking countermeasures. It does not necessarily have a great effect at this stage, but we intend to send a wake-up call to such companies in the future.

That last line's interesting. Particularly if you're involved with the R4 - or other similar devices - and your boots were previously shaking. Their heart's not really in it!

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Yay! First reply.

Thats sad....really sad....i love my r4 even though i have a cyclo too.......
but hopefully r4team isnt gonna give up just like that are they?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Against my better judgement I went and read some of the comments there.
I made it as far as the diatribe against renting (admittedly a new one on me).

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Capcom doesn't need to participate in this. I mean, their games are so awesome that people with flashcarts will buy them anyway. At least I bought the three Phoenix Wright-games and Apollo Justice...

If companies just make good games for reasonable prices and throw in some copy protection once in a while so the newbies won't be able to run their roms, there won't be any problem at all.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
http://kotaku.com/5044010/capcom-explain-r...t-participation

There are companies that sell downloads without any license in the U.S.A., while a considerable number of pirated copies of game software are available in the Chinese market. In response to these situations, this lawsuit took the initiative for the whole industry in terms of taking countermeasures. It does not necessarily have a great effect at this stage, but we intend to send a wake-up call to such companies in the future.

Yeah, that's great, except neither of those have jack to do with the R4 or any other flash cart. If there are US sites selling ROMs(which I have never seen) take them down. Put them in jail. There have always been bootleg carts in China, always will be.

Why not spend some time solving the real problems instead of taking down a little flash-cart company?

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, the issue with this lawsuit is misdirected anger. The flashcart is not the culprit, just the enabler. The R4 as will all other carts have a valid and clearly defined purpose, they only get themselves in trouble when they state that all ROMS are runnable on their carts. However, even saying that, it is not the issue.

The lawsuit is aimed at the "achievable goal." These companies cannot attack the file providers so they attack the company with a face. Bigger face, easier target... ok maybe not the best analogy... The scare tactics that are being used have not had a wide effect for more than 2 decades, but still they have to put on an air of care for the good and the righteous. Honestly most companies don't care unless the quarter funds are dropping, and the individual employees care even less.

Not to get off topic, but there are several articles that I have read where companies are promoting product hacking and providing the resources to facilitate the hackers.

But I digress, and since I'm rambling... I'm done.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"The flashcart is not the culprit, just the enabler"
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

No real point to that (and I certainly do not wish to trigger the firearms debate right now) but I figured what the hey.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
FAST6191 said:
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

RiflemanGuns don't kill people, I DID! HA HA!

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. Technically the injury caused by the bullet is what kills people - so really it's our own fault for dying when shot for not being able to heal ourselves.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Man, he takes it seriously
ohmy.gif

I was quoting Human Rifleman from Warcraft III mind you.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol