Capcom claims that last year's major leak did not have a "significant impact" on the company

capcom-vector-logo.png

When Capcom faced a ransomware attack last year, tons of company files and internal information was illegally revealed to the public, showing off what Capcom had in store for the future, such as a Dai Gyakuten Saiban compilation, Monster Hunter Hunter: Rise exclusivity details, personal worker information, and more. Despite that, Capcom claims that those leaks had "no significant impact", and that things have largely returned to normal for the company. The statement was made in their most recent fiscal quarterly report, explaining that development on working projects hasn't been affected, and that their existing games performed well, with sales up 22.6% over the previous year.

:arrow: Source

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure they don't want to scare their investors... But I've read that those "hackers" did not release 100% of the files they've downloaded. Also their was 350,000 people's private information was also stolen, so yeah I understand what they are saying... That it's not affecting CAPCOM *facepalm* ... I guess we will wait and see.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-54958782

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It didn't affect anything because these games didn't go on sale yet
It doesn't make much difference with monster Hunter rise, but it will hit hard when street fighter 6 comes out

I'm disappointed in all this because we didn't get the Megaman legends 3 demo
It's there, it's finished, its great but nope
(Would hit them really hard too as it disproves the official statement for cancellation )
But at least I can hope for a misadventures of Tron bonne 3ds port...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Image relevant at this point

capcom_significant_impact.jpg
+

That said it would not be the first time I have seen a company have a major hack and indeed there was no "significant impact" on their IT security. Hopefully we get round 2.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
They should have computers that don't connect to the internet, if they don't want certain info to be leaked. That's my opinion, but whatever. Businesses are doing it wrong.
I mean, considering how businesses communicate online using slack/email/whatnot, they kinda need the internet

shinwg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games I wish capcom bring back
1- mega man battle network collection
Or mega man star force continue or remake or remastered
2. Rival schools
3- power stones man I have so much fun from that game.
4. Clock tower collection

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, considering how businesses communicate online using slack/email/whatnot, they kinda need the internet
I'm not saying that businesses shouldn't use the internet. I mean, have two types of computers - an internal network, meaning computers that are not connected to the internet in any way (where all the secrets can be kept), and computers that are connected to the internet (where this kind of stuff is not stored).

Some things to consider, if protecting copyrighted property:
  • NEVER store it on a cloud.
  • NEVER store it on a server, unless it never connects to the internet.
  • NEVER share it with anyone except those you know you can trust, and even then don't share everything.
  • ALWAYS protect it with a high level of encryption that not everyone can unlock.

Independent/small businesses may not have all those capabilities, but surely corporations like Capcom can invest in something like this and prevent further leaks, right?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that businesses shouldn't use the internet. I mean, have two types of computers - an internal network, meaning computers that are not connected to the internet in any way (where all the secrets can be kept), and computers that are connected to the internet (where this kind of stuff is not stored).

• NEVER share it with anyone except those you know you can trust, and even then don't share everything.
  • ALWAYS protect it with a high level of encryption that not everyone can unlock.

Independent/small businesses may not have all those capabilities, but surely corporations like Capcom can invest in something like this and prevent further leaks, right?
I mean that would make sense, but i doubt capcom cares about employee data

Reactions: HarveyHouston

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Which works great in theory.

However then your competitors loosen their security a bit to allow people to work from home (an attractive prospect even in the before times), communicate between studios in different locations, deal with external contractors, and thus gain either all the new employees or all the productivity bump.

You also have to evaluate what is valuable and what is not* and you end up like the US government where they would probably have strongly considered used toilet paper as top secret just in case (and then have to invent further classifications so someone with the ability to see used bog roll does not simultaneously have nuclear launch codes).

*secrets for your company, secrets for your upcoming games, secrets for existing games already released and long stopped producing real revenue (dubious in a time of constant remakes and remasters and reworkings and some things not beginning with re that also mean same code is sent back out to earn a bit more). As a filthy hacker I am interested in potentially secret info for fraud/blackmail purposes, for learning of new games, for source code/assets to old ones, for internal comms to explain what certain games had happen during development, for getting a better idea on internal culture for my investment purposes...

Even if you manage all that and have office bound staff then they tend to get hacked off without having access to facebook at lunchtime and work around that. Also then we get to worry about me coming along dropping a shiny 64gig USB drive (or 9 of them) in the car park outside, an employee plugging it in and it setting up your fancy wireless printer to broadcast whatever my virus says to as it wanders through your network grabbing juicy things... better make a Faraday cage as well.

Short version. Cost Security Usability. Pick two.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short version. Cost Security Usability. Pick two.
Mail-in encrypted USB drives, and trustworthy people who won't share info unless told otherwise. There's my two.

Actually, that only covers one on your list - Security. Huh, I guess I don't need a second one, after all. Anyhow, this is only a theoretical discussion, and I don't think anyone is putting it to good practice, anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: