Can't we have a single day of peace at GBATemp?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Every day for at least the past couple of months, I see at least one thread active with people engaging in the console/handheld flame wars. It is just getting so bad that provocation for starting them isn't even needed, as those that are active in such flame wars intentionally seek to start them to make a ruckus just because an opposer is posting in it, regardless of what they say in it. How many threads have gone into the gutter because of this?

It's just sad, and what's even more sad is that this topic could very well be overrun with the flame wars as well.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
All the new kids that flocked in from the Skyward Sword leak I believe... Not much we can really do about it unless the mods want to start issuing mass bans. This is pretty much what the Internet is like.

Reactions: 3 people

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't this flame bait in itself? Anyway as @[member='emigre'] and @[member='CarbonX13'] have said not alot can be done. They can't ban everyone that posts their incredibally stupid opinions, but thats just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently there's a very fine line between "flame war" and "discussion".

Flame war is when people start blatantly trolling and blatantly insulting people. Discussion contains neither of those. I see plenty of discussion (maybe even "heated discussion") but flamewars? Not really.

Also peace is incredibly boring on an internet forum. If every thread consisted of everyone agreeing then that'd just be dull. On topics that strike an opinion, you want to hear (and voice) an opinion, even if it's not the same as yours.

Reactions: 2 people

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Is the Flame that bad? Just stay out of it or boycot it, it will Be watered down soon anyways, they can flame all they want but someone is gonna lose sooner of later

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Age is a big factor too, the older you are, the more understanding you become, unless you are a nazi or a religion fanatic.
GBATemp has always been a relatively quiet place compared to other communities (Gamefaqs!). Try reporting those so you make the moderator's life a little easier.

Reactions: 2 people

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Apparently there's a very fine line between "flame war" and "discussion".

Flame war is when people start blatantly trolling and blatantly insulting people. Discussion contains neither of those. I see plenty of discussion (maybe even "heated discussion") but flamewars? Not really.

Also peace is incredibly boring on an internet forum. If every thread consisted of everyone agreeing then that'd just be dull. On topics that strike an opinion, you want to hear (and voice) an opinion, even if it's not the same as yours.

I'd agree with you, if it wasn't only a small portion of this site that is capable of discussions. Most people have strong opinions and no means to ever back them up. Which is fine for general posting, no one wants your life story every post, but in debates it's just a mess. Way too many people with stupid opinions they can't defend, yet they do anyway.

However, this is the internet. Get used to it, OP.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a forum; arguments are healthy and natural.

Have you ever seen a forum without any conflict or contention? They are not interesting places; just be careful what you wish for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte