Hacking Can't update to 11.9 - Luma error

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My old 3DS XL is on Luma through B9S, sys ver. 11.8. Today I tried to perform a system update and before any progress is done I get this error from Luma (even after updating Luma itself)

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic

Proccess ID: 19
Proccess name: am
Proccess title ID: 0x0004013000001502

Address: 0x00109392
Error code: 0xc86044d2

Press any button to reboot.

(I guess nothing after "proccess name" is useful here) I kind of need to update this 3DS to do a system transfer to a new one but I have no idea of what is causing this error. My best guess is that I setup Luma into CTRNAND since that's the only difference to every other hacked 3DS that I can think of.
I also activated "Disable ARM11 exception handlers", just in case.

P.S.: I'm just noticing that when I put my 3DS to sleep while in the home menu, it usually can not come back from sleep. Incidentally, I upgraded to B9S just recently so I don't think I have any valid back ups to go back to a more.... ahem... stable version.

Last edited by Ponpokopoi,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove and reinsert the battery to reset RAM memory.

Don't use Disable ARM11 exception handlers because this feature isn't meant for fixing ARM11 crash bugs. It's for mod plugins that conflict with Luma3DS.

Try this post. The part on checking the SD card with H2testw is super important. After verifying the card is in good condition, you should backup your game saves + extdata the first chance you get.

Since you have an o3DSXL, try using the system without WiFi. If you notice a pattern that it crashes whenever WiFi is on, you'll need to disassemble and reseat the WiFi module if it came loose/off.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Since the SD card thing will take a while, I tried checking wi-fi first. Since most features ask me to update before using them, I could only use the browser extensively and it worked fine.
I also tried to perform a system update without the SD card inserted (as I'm backing it up at the moment) and I'm getting exactly the same error as yesterday.

I checked my SD card for NAND back ups and unfortunately the only one I could find was the one I made right before noticing these problems. Anyway, since upgrading to B9S (or downgrading, seeing all this stuff happen) the only changes I've made to my console have been installing Anemone, downloading some themes and splash screens and playing some games (not even installing new ones) but since these only affect the SD card, I assume a NAND restore wouldn't have really helped.

I guess if any physical game is released for 3DS I could use it to try and update the system? Although I might just get the same error.
It's frustrating that something so minor and so ill-timed is blocking me so hard. If only this update happened one week later...

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Forgot to mention I tried that too. And now that you mentioned it, again without the SD card.
With this Luma doesn't throw out an exception. However, it doesn't update either: I get the "Updating. Please wait... Do not turn off power" message and the progress bar below never fills a single pixel.

Incidentally, despite my new 3DS updating just fine, I tried going into the router's settings to deactivate any firewall option. Still doesn't work

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to mention I tried that too. And now that you mentioned it, again without the SD card.
With this Luma doesn't throw out an exception. However, it doesn't update either: I get the "Updating. Please wait... Do not turn off power" message and the progress bar below never fills a single pixel.
Try a second WiFi source with Recovery Mode updating to rule out problem with the Internet.

If you have a second o3DS / o2DS / o3DSXL of the same region (assuming EUR) and that has custom firmware, you can update its 3DS firmware to 11.9.0-42E and try this:
  1. GodMode9 → hold R-shoulder and press (A) on [1:] SYSNAND CRTRNAND → Search for titles.
  2. Hold L-shoulder and press (right) d-pad to highlight select all titles in yellow.
  3. TMD options... → Build CIA (legit) → etc.
  4. Take the *.cia files and use sysUpdater to offline update your o3DSXL to 11.9E.
    • However, make sure you have a fresh SysNAND *.bin image before attempting in case of a softbrick.

A second approach when it becomes available is to download the 11.9.0-42E EUR o3DS firmware package at that darth site.

A third approach is to first downgrade with the 11.7.0-40E package (3c6484ab6c336c8a028198c869a05b02) in hopes of fixing whatever is wrong with the NAND and then update to 11.9.

A fourth approach is to perform an unauthorized (homebrew) System Transfer from (source) o3DSXL → second (target) o3DS / o2DS / o3DSXL under an EmuNAND setup. Update the NAND's firmware on this second system through Recovery Mode only (don't use System Settings). System Transfer the updated NAND back to the o3DSXL and then delete the EmuNAND. I don't recommend this method if it can be helped.

I'm reluctance to suggest CTRTransfer as this will cause you to lose your tickets. You would have to backup all the game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM. Back up the [ certs / import / ticket / title / tmp_i / tmp_t ] *.db before proceeding. This is like a universal SysNAND restore in fixing software bugs.
  • If GodMode9 doesn't solve the problem, try CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP. ← This was included in the starter kit.
Edit - Forgot to mention, reinject the *.db files and then try updating the 3DS firmware normally.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks for all the help.
Let's see... I don't have a second o3DS system availiable so options 1 and 4 are unfortunately ruled out.
I guess I can try number three right now. Just in case though, my o3DS was never on 11.7 and B9S concurrently.

For all these methods that seem to overwrite the firmware, what would happen with all my other data? Namely NNID, friend code and friend list. Would they remain there just like tickets?

If everything else fails, I was thinking of contacting Nintendo to remove my NNID from my o3DS so I can attach it to the n3DS (but I guess in the process I would lose my friend-everything and my Miis), then copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from my o3DS into the n3DS one and finally restore the ticket.db and title.db that I dumped from the o3DS into the n3DS. Would that work to save me a lot of shop redownloading/internet browsing or do such dbs only work with the system [family] they're from?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your private data like NNID, friend code, friend list, tickets, and game saves + extdata are all kept when downgrading or updating the 3DS firmware.

You might lose or reset the play records in the Activity Log. This can be backed up with JKSM or Cthulhu.

If everything else fails, I was thinking of contacting Nintendo to remove my NNID from my o3DS so I can attach it to the n3DS (but I guess in the process I would lose my friend-everything and my Miis), then copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from my o3DS into the n3DS one and finally restore the ticket.db and title.db that I dumped from the o3DS into the n3DS. Would that work to save me a lot of shop redownloading/internet browsing or do such dbs only work with the system [family] they're from?
Unlinking the NNID from the o3DSXL and relinking onto the n3DS by calling Nintendo will not allow you to pick up using the SD card. The reason for this is because your Nintendo 3DS folder is encrypted from something called the movable.sed. Since a System Transfer did not occur, your (target) n3DS would not receive the *.sed to work with the stuff on the SD card.

If you're not able to use Checkpoint or JKSM to backup your saves + extdata with the o3DSXL, you would instead have to extract the o3DSXL's movable.sed to use fuse-3ds and 3ds-save-tool.

Reactions: Ponpokopoi

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Alright, tried downgrading and it almost worked. Got a little bit of progress in the bar, and then the same error as always. For now I'll wait until I can try out a different stable wi-fi connection or until 11.9.0 is uploaded. I guess the latter one just can't fail (other than soft-bricking my console).
Thanks a lot for the help. I've learned a few things if anything.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Uh... out of curiosity, how long does that darth site usually take to update?

Anyway, I might be able to get a friend to help with the first proposal so I'd like to make sure about the first step: what I'd have to do right after booting into GM9 is highlight "[1:] SYSNAND CRTRNAND" and, without entering it, hold R and press A, while technically still in the main menu, right? (it finds about 130 results).
Or maybe I should do it while inside the option by inputting [*] as the search term?
And to also confirm the last step, after those .legit.cia files are built, I should just grab all of them ignoring any file with a different extension that might be in that gm9/out/ folder, put them in SD:/updates/ (in the "stuck" o3DS of course) and run the update through sysUpdater, right? (they have their own names rather than just their "00040*" IDs but I guess this doesn't matter at all)

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Alright, got a friend's files and here is something interesting: sysupdater fails right at the "Getting CIA file information" stage due to an error when writing to 0004003000009D02.cia, which seems to be the title corresponding to the internet browser that was changed witht he last update.

Since I was at 11.7.0 anyway, I downloaded the files for 11.8.0 and it updated just fine. So I guess all my problems stem from that title alone?
From here, I'm thinking of doing one of four things:
1-Replace the conflicting <title>.cia in /updates with the 11.8.0 one which I guess would leave my browser obsolete. Which i don't mind, but I don't know if the system transfer tool will
2-Deleting that probably broken title from my sistem through FBI or godmode9, which I'm not comfortable with since I don't really know what I'm doing
3-Downgrading to an even older version so it also has an older browser version and see what happens (if it gives me an error, if I can update etc)
4-Waiting however longer I have to for that darth site to update and see if it magically works
5-Waiting for version 12 and hope it works

EDIT: I just noticed that the browser has been updated in the last few system updates. If version 41 was the problem, it should have worked fine from version 40. So I'm at a loss about what's happening here.
My friend's console is a regular old 3DS, mine is an old 3DS XL, which shouldn't matter. Both are running Luma on boot9strap. The XL was hacked right when soundhax was found. The other one was hacked a couple of months later, also with soundhax if memory serves right so it should have started at a similar firmware.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Dr.Hacknik's 3DNUS Nightly | 3.3.1 to download 11.9.0-42E Old 3DS firmware package.

From mtheall's Nintendo System Update Old3DS 11.9.0-42 report, the difference between the old 3DS EUR 11.8 and 11.9 firmwares are these:

Code:
TitleID,Region,Title versions,Update versions
000400DB00010502,EUR,v22528,11.9.0-42
0004003000009D02,EUR,v11297,11.9.0-42
000400DB00016102,EUR,v672,11.9.0-42
000400DB00017102,EUR,v11408,11.9.0-42
  • [3dbrew.org] Title list
    • 000400DB00010502 = Nintendo Zone hotspot list
    • 0004003000009D02 = Internet Browser (spider)
    • 000400DB00016102 = NVer
    • 000400DB00017102 = CVer
I can personally verify from 3DNUS log dump that it downloads those four titles.

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I guess there was another option haha.
Unfortunately, I still get the same error
Getting CIA file informations...
0004003000009D02.cia
fsException:
fs.cpp:117: Result: 0xC86044D2
Failed to write to file!
Did you store the update files in '/updates'?
That last question puzzles me as that file is quite visible inside SD:/updates. Not with a different name nor nested into another folder.

I might be getting too far ahead of myself, but by the looks of this what this firmware update does is update the browser, update that hotspot list and update the version number (NVer and CVer), right?
Since I just want it for a system transfer, couldn't I skip the browser update, update just NVer and CVer and pretty much "spoof" the right version for the purpose of system transfer?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess there was another option haha.
Unfortunately, I still get the same error

That last question puzzles me as that file is quite visible inside SD:/updates. Not with a different name nor nested into another folder.

I might be getting too far ahead of myself, but by the looks of this what this firmware update does is update the browser, update that hotspot list and update the version number (NVer and CVer), right?
For scenarios where you have issues fixing the 3DS firmware, I suggest doing these:
  1. Back up all the game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  2. Back up your ticket database with GodMode9 v1.7.1.
    • By GM9 script: Press (HOME) button → Scripts... → GM9Megascript → Dump Options → System File Dump Options → Dump ticket.db → <A> yes
    • Or manually: [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/dbs/ticket.db → Copy to 0:/gm9/out
    • There should be XX########_ticket_00.db or ticket.db in sdmc:/gm9/out.
  3. Copy everything off the SD card onto a computer.
  4. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat (if bigger than 32 GB).
  5. Full Write + Verify the empty card with H2testw. Test for hardware issues. Do not skip this step.
  6. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
    • If an error was reported, stop the test and replaced the failed card. Go back to step 3 or 4.
  7. Build a test custom firmware setup. Do not use files from your main setup at this moment.
    • If you would like, you may use the CFW starter kit found here.
  8. Update the custom firmware with Luma3DS v9.1, boot9strap v1.3, and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both the SD card and CTRNAND.
    • Actualizar B9S (Updating B9S)
    • luma_config.png
  9. Downgrade the 3DS firmware to 11.5.0-38E with CTRTransfer, and then update to 11.9.0-42E with Recovery Mode.
  10. Conditional: If the o3DSXL refuses to update to 11.9 in step 9, you will need to try again.
    • Downgrade to 11.5 with CTRTransfer using Decrypt9WIP, and then update to 11.9 with Recovery Mode.
      • If you did not use the CFW starter kit, Decrypt9WIP can be downloaded at https://d0k3.secretalgorithm.com/.
      • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin
      • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin.sha
      • Decrypt9WIP → SysNAND Options → CTRTransfer... → Auto CTRNAND Transfer → button combo → 11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.binetc.
  11. Delete the test setup from the SD card. Copy and paste the main setup back to the SD card.
    • If you're careful in knowing what you want to keep or update, you can merge files from the starter kit onto the main setup.
  12. If you notice any games missing on HOME Menu, go to System Settings → Data Management → Nintendo 3DS → Software.
    • Titles with missing tickets will have greyed out X's like this:
    • 3_DS_Missing_Tickets.png
  13. To restore tickets, you have several options.
    1. GodMode9 → Press (HOME) button → Scripts... → GM9Megascript → Inject Options → Inject ticket.db XX########_ticket_00.db → etc.
    2. 0:/gm9/out/ticket.db → Press (Y) button to [CLIPBOARD] select → 1:/dbs → Press (Y) button → Copy path(s) → combo button → Overwrite files(s)ticket.dbCalculate CMAC → etc.
    3. Find a collection of fake tickets at that ISO site. Individually install missing tickets with FBI.
    4. Follow the complicated guide at:

Since I just want it for a system transfer, couldn't I skip the browser update, update just NVer and CVer and pretty much "spoof" the right version for the purpose of system transfer?
You can try that, but that doesn't fix the original problem of your o3DSXL not updating the Internet Browser. If you obtained 0004003000009D02.cia (v11297, Internet Browser, 17.3 MB - CRC32: 3ECADD2C), try installing this alone with FBI instead of sysUpdater.

Oh, any games, DLCs, and updates that weren't bought from Nintendo eShop will have their tickets not go through in System Transfer. There's a collection of fake tickets found at that ISO site, or you can use the guide to spoof missing tickets found at:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, finally!
Installing that conflictive cia through FBI did the trick and now I completed the system transfer that I wanted to do for so long. All that remains is recovering those lost tickets... more of them than I thought. Fortunately software management seems to recognize them so that's part of the job done. And surprisingly my custom badges are just where I left them, huh.

I didn't follow the 13-step instructions because I'm pretty sure I performed that recently but next time 3DS gets an update I'll try to see if my o3DS can update. If it can't, I'll follow your steps.

Thank you so much for helping me move onto a new system at last.

P.S.: BTW right before performing the system transfer I backed up my sysNAND and dumped all system file dump options. If I restore that backup now that the console has been formatted after the transfer, how likely am I to brick? I also have another backup from right after in case of a softbrick.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P.S.: BTW right before performing the system transfer I backed up my sysNAND and dumped all system file dump options. If I restore that backup now that the console has been formatted after the transfer, how likely am I to brick? I also have another backup from right after in case of a softbrick.
You can't use the o3DSXL SysNAND *.bin image on a different 3DS/2DS system. Each is specifically encrypted to only work on the system it came from.

You can SysNAND restore the o3DSXL after System Transfer, but you can no longer use that o3DSXL with online services. That's because Nintendo has a record of the NNID now on the target system.

:!: Using two or more systems with the same NNID runs the risk of Nintendo banning your consoles.

Ponpokopoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can't use the o3DSXL SysNAND *.bin image on a different 3DS/2DS system. Each is specifically encrypted to only work on the system it came from.

You can SysNAND restore the o3DSXL after System Transfer, but you can no longer use that o3DSXL with online services. That's because Nintendo has a record of the NNID now on the target system.

:!: Using two or more systems with the same NNID runs the risk of Nintendo banning your consoles.
Ah, yes, restoring the o3DS backup into the now-formatted o3DS was what I wanted to do. Just to handily have all my digital games there.
I already accounted for the online, this console won't go online veer again
Thanks again for the confirmation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0