Can't update my Wiikey, suspecting clone "pics"

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ravingzeus, Nov 10, 2007.

Nov 10, 2007
  1. ravingzeus
    OP

Newcomer ravingzeus Member

Canada
    Hi there!

I know that there is some other threads about this kind of error, but I have a pics of my supposely wiikey, so I need a confirmation...

Ok, Since I don't really use GC homebrew I didn't update my wiikey with the release 1.9b, cause I was not able to anyway...

But with the Super Mario Galaxy issue, I realize that I have to update it to 1.9g

So now I need your help!

I have a NTSC uS wii with a wiikey.

Here is the error I get with either update 1.9G or 1.9B When I load the DVD:

Error: test failed!
    Check your connection and try again

Someone form another forum suggested me to try this
    And this is not working also, all test pass OK' but I still can't play Super MArio Galaxy it's like the update didn'T work..

So, now the big question... What's the problem?? All my backup games work fine... So i'am assuming that all the connection of the chip are good, if not can somebody tell me wich wire can cause this problem and let copy game works anyway???

Or is the chip a clone? That'S what i'am suspecting, I bought the WII already chipped from a good reseller on the net, I already deal with them in the past with no problem. They told me that the wiikey is original, but I checked my self and opened the wii and took a picture of the chip. I will not provide reseller name for now, but if you confirm that it'S a clone and if they don't want to change it I will do...

Here is the pic of my chip:
    [​IMG]

I have found a couple of link for clone comparison, the text is bigger on my chip, but not on the same position, so i'am not sure I need some confirmation from you guys...
    http://www.neoasic.com/images/wiikey-original-logo.jpg
    http://www.neoasic.com/images/wiikey-clone2-logo.jpg
    http://www.neoasic.com/images/wiikey-ori-cl-logo.jpg
    http://www.neoasic.com/images/wiikey-clone-logo.jpg

Please if you post that my chip is a clone be sure it is... I don't want to argue with my reseller for nothing...

A BIG thanks for your help!

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yes its a clone, look at the c2 text, its in the wrong place

3. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    yep clone.. you got ripped off [​IMG]

4. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    The soldering looks weird too. The two top spots (power and ground) are connected but the serial connection on the bottom, are they connected directly to the chip? I don't know all the specifics to what each point does and if one was wrong how it would affect updating.

Sorry to hear that you got stuck with a clone, some clones updated fine, others don't. While there is a chance the seller got shafted with clones as well. They should still make right with you...1.9g is a very important update [​IMG]

5. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada
    OK thanks a lot guys!

I will contact the seller!

For the soldering, because it'S a D2B 3 spots are directly solder to the chip, you can see the 3 small wires...

Thanks again!

6. shonosuke

Member shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Did you also update it?

After it tests the wii will reset and then you have to press a to update

7. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
  8. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada
    No, because it'S a d2b board with cut pins, so the 3 spots you identify are directly connected to the chipset and not on the board, like in this procedure http://www.wiikeyguide.com/images/WiiKey-I...m-Guide-D2B.pdf

9. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    ok, so you've got a D2B with the cut legs, but the real question why the heck are you running what appears to uninsulated wire from points 4, 5 and 6 to the chip. additionally, point 4 does look like it connected (or at least touching) the pad on the motherboard where point 5 on the chip should connect.

10. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i dont think its a clone it looks real to me ...........

11. tomqman

United Kingdom
    just read the guide and your blue wire is in the wrong place

[​IMG]

12. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada
    I just got news from the sellers, they say that they never installed original wiikey, it was always clone for everybody...

But when I got the wii it was really saying New Nintendo Wii Console Modified with Wii Key Modchip I still have the receipt in front of me...

They say they never got any problem in the past... well it's hard to prove

Can somebody confirm that due to the fact that it's a clone wiikey it's normal that I get this problem or it can be somthing else related to soldering and broken chip...

Thanks again

13. tomqman

United Kingdom
    im pritty sure that its the number 4 soldering connection (blue wire in your guide as its in the wrong place)

14. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada

No the blue wire is going directly to the chip set, like the other quote, it's all related to the top vue picture, all the 3 wires are going directly to the chipset, they are not solder to any point on the board, its an " optic illusion" [​IMG]

15. Bob Loblaw

United States
    There's nothing wrong with the soldering aside from it's sloppy. (looks like someone who hasn't done many did it).

It's a clone. Plain and simple. The people even told him it's a clone. That's why it doesn't work. It still reads the back up discs it's just not updating. It wouldn't read the disc at all if the soldering was wrong.

Ravingzues : how much did they charge you? if it was more than $8 for the chip I would tell them you want your money back or want them to replace it with an original. If you didn't pay more than $8 for the chip then you didn't really get ripped off aside from them not telling you it was a clone. Just try and work something out with them to put an original in for you.

16. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada
    I got the wii pre-modded, so I paid for the wii and the chip already installed, it was the price of the console worth in store plus near 150$CAN extra for the chip and the installation including shipping.

So I paid a lot to have something that is not updateable!

They don't want to do anything for me, this will be easy for them to ship me a new original wiikey, I still give them a day to change their mind, if not I post the site here, because I think everybody should know what they buy and that's bad because they are selling a lot of good stuff and probably do a lot of money, but it seems that sending back a new wiikey is too complicated...

17. Bob Loblaw

United States
    Yeah, that's pretty steep. Where did you order it from? Take a look through whatever advertisements they have and see if they made it known that they were using clones. If not I'd make a fuss with 'em about it and see what they'll do for you.

18. ravingzeus
    OP

Canada

I let them 1 day to get back to me, I first suggest them that I will ship back the console to them and asked them to swap the chip and they refused even if I was paying shipping.

Then I just sent back another e-mail buy requesting a new UPDATABLE chip, so for now I will wait the answer, they also have the link to this thread...

And for the web site, I will not provide it for now, but here is an exemple of the pics they use to sell the wiikey
    [​IMG]

19. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    It looks like a clone to me. It should still update. Fix your wiring - I understand that the thin uninsulated wires go directly to the chip but it looks like they may be making contact with each other or the traces/solder on the clone chip pcb. Do the connections on the D2B chip look equally as bad? Then make sure you are using a quality burn of the update disc.

You sure didn't get quality work although you paid a premium price.

20. Bob Loblaw

United States

Yeah exactly. As bad as the soldering is though I don't think it's that because it's been pretty common with the 1.9g update that it isn't working for a lot of people with clones. It seems to work on some and not on others.