Can't unlink Nintendo ID ready for sale

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by markmcrobie, Apr 24, 2017.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I have a New 3DS XL, on 11.2 with LumaCFW.

I'm going to sell it, but would like to sell it with AL9H/LumaCFW intact. Obviously I want to unlink my Nintendo ID first, and delete my user account, but when I try to go into System Settings > Nintendo ID it tells me I have to do a system update first, error 022-2511.

So how do I unlink my Nintendo ID without having to update to (presumably) 11.4?

2. Yuan

Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 1, 2007
    Brazil
    If you are with Luma + a9lh, there is no problem to update to 11.4.

3. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Oh ok, thanks. Just using the normal system update?

4. Yuan

Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 1, 2007
    Brazil
    Yes. If, for some reason you want to go back to 11.2 after updating you may use this: https://adrifcastr.github.io/3Down/

5. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    You can also use ctr-httpwn from the homebrew launcher, then exit the homebrew launcher and go to format without rebooting.

6. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Ok, updated to 11.4, but when I go to delete my Nintendo ID it asks for a reason. The only one that seems applicable is "I want to link a different Nintendo ID", but when I choose that it want me to format system memory. If I do that, will my A9LH and LumaCFW be intact? What about freeShop, CIAngel, FBI, etc? And what about games installed to microSD?

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    System Format will remove all applications installed to SD. It won't remove A9LH and Luma3DS.

You'll need to reinject FBI into Health & Safety and then reinstall FBI.

This is usually a good idea when selling the system anyway, since it ensures that the eShop account is removed from the system.

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Thanks. How do I reinject FBI?

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax - sections V through VII. Since System Format doesn't wipe A9LH or Luma3DS, you won't need to reinstall anything else.

markmcrobie likes this.
  10. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    If I remove the microSD, then do a system format, then re-insert it, will all the games on it still work?

11. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    No

12. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    just do a system format, then install freeshop and re-download all your games

13. R9HAX

R9HAX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Lol its fine to update with 11.4 on r9lh I did and my 2ds is fine however if I where they buyer I wouldnt update it again before sighax is released. This will take a while however im usually offline.

14. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    But aren't all the files for A9LH/Luma/etc on the microSD? What happens if I sell it without the microSD?

15. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Without SD if you didn't install luma to NAND the console won't boot.
    If you did install Luma to NAND too, it will boot, but make sure that it's updated there too or it may have problems with the 11.4 OFW.

Get a cheap (and reliable) small microSD card (at least 2gb), copy Luma files there, install FBI (on SD), freeShop and luma updater after getting rid of NNID, then the new owner will be ready to go.

16. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Thanks. Here's a list of all files/folders on my 128GB microSD (that I don't want to sell, as I can use it in my new Switch). I didn't copy across the "Nintendo 3DS" folder as it was huge and I assumed was just all the games.

Which of these do I need to copy across to the spare 4GB card I have to sell with it?

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you followed the guide semi-recently you should have Luma3DS in ctrnand, so it can boot without a SD card inserted.

18. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Do this after get rid of your nnid on the console:
    1 - Inject FBI into H&S applet.
    2 - Get a microSD formatted to FAT32, in the root of the sd goes the arm9loaderhax.bin from the luma, it will auto create the luma folder after you config Luma.
    3 - Copy the FBI.cia, freeshop cia and some others to the SD card.
    4 - When you turn on the console, it will recreate the Nintendo 3DS folder, it will be small since you won't have any title installed to it.
    5 - Install FBI.cia with injected FBI (so the user will have an easy to updated FBI install), then install all other CIAs (at least the new forked freeShop from @arc13 ).
    6 - It's now ready.

Question from folks who've answered OP: Now the 3DS allows you to actually unlink the 3DS without doing a system transfer or contacting them? This is news to me.

19. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Thanks, but this isn't working. I put arm9loaderhax.bin and fbi.cia and freeshop.cia on root of new microSD, but when I hold Start to boot, it just boots straight to 3DS menu

20. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    try holding select on boot