Can't switch discs in MGS: The Twin Snakes

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bowserevilking, Jul 20, 2010.

Jul 20, 2010
  1. bowserevilking
    OP

Newcomer bowserevilking Member

Canada
    Okay, so I know this is a Gamecube game, but I'm playing this on a Japanese chipped (I don't know which one, I bought it like that) Wii and both discs are backups. I've played up to the entrance of Communication Tower A, but when it prompts me to switch discs, it gives a Japanese disc read error (Or at least it looks like one, the word OFF is in English and so is the rest of the game) once I insert disc 2. I really want to proceed and finish the game, so does anyone have any advice? I have the Homebrew channel, so if there's a Gecko os cheat or something that might help.
    [cliche newb talk] Thanks in advance. [/cliche newb talk]

2. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Have you ever tried inserting disc 2 first and see if it gives you an error? Maybe the second disc is a bad rip!

3. bowserevilking
    OP

Canada
    I'm pretty sure disc 2 is fine, as it loads perfectly, but when I load my save file, it asks me to insert disc 1 as I am still in an area that is not in disc 2. I just wish there was some sort of 'airlock' type area, common to both discs, where I could save. MGS: The Twin Snakes doesn't save when switching discs, unlike Resident Evil 4. [​IMG]

I'm wondering if there's a way to modify my save file ever so slightly so that I am in Communication Tower A. [​IMG]

4. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Gamecube saves are really hard to find on the net and the saves from Gamefaqs are mainly "completed game" saves!

I actually own the PAL version of MGS:TS but no longer have a gamecube memory card!

5. bowserevilking
    OP

Canada
    So is there any way at all that anyone can think of to get me onto disk 2? I can't stop playing halfway through! [​IMG]

Also, I don't have a computer that can run Dolphin, or a PSX emulator for that matter, so that solution is right out.

6. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Upload your save to here and ask if anyone can get you to the second disc, would be your best bet - I would myself but I don't have the game.
    Also, what region is your MGS TS

7. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Try using NeoGamma to play it (even if you have a chip).
    It has a lot of improvements in GameCube mode, and it might help you with that.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Can you boot disc 2 load the savegame and insert disc 1 when prompted? Also do you have a cMIOS? I assume it works better for you if you have a clean MIOS installed.

It might work. But it would require to install a cMIOS, and i think it can only fix problems(related to this topic) that were caused by installing a cMIOS in the 1st place.

PS: The 2nd disc feature for multi game discs on NeoGamma is out of question, because NeoGamma can't read multi game discs when using a modchip

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Awww, I was actually hoping in that [​IMG]

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Tell me how to tell a modchip where a game disc actually starts on the disc, and i might be able to add it. The read error you get when NeoGamma tries to read the game list is something i might be able to fix. But it wouldn't help you, because for every game, the actual game disc would be GCOS(or whatever is put as 1st item into the disc).

11. bowserevilking
    OP

Canada
    Nope, I can't switch disks at all, happened with RE4 too. But I can load my save in disc 2, not that it matters, since it immediately asks for disc 1. [​IMG] Also, I'm pretty sure I do not have a cMIOS.
    So far it seems the "upload save file" method is the best way. So I'll do that ASAP, if there's anyone who can: play both discs of MGS: The Twin Snakes on a homebrew-enabled Wii with a third party memory card using GCMM v1.0 reading this. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Here it is: Multiupload

12. bowserevilking
    OP

Canada
    *bump* So, anyone got anything? I imagine, if you don't have the right kind of Wii, you can get to the second disc using Dolphin, if you can run it. I dunno, I just really want to finish MGS1, so any and all help is appreciated.

13. dronesplitter

Member dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was messing around with NuGasa and Gamecube Saver, not really getting anywhere. On a whim, I tried to use your save file to load onto my official memory card with Gamecube Saver and it worked! I then played to the second disc, swapped, and saved in the same slot. I didn't think NuGasa would back it up but...it did, surprising the heck out of me.

Here's the backed up file, I just hope it isn't corrupt or anything. I loaded the file before I backed it up to make sure it would load at the beginning of Disc 2 and it worked fine [​IMG]
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ak1snoabn8jfek4
    EDIT: Confirmed that the file restores and works fine [​IMG]

14. bowserevilking
    OP

Canada
    Thank you, dronesplitter, it works perfectly. [​IMG] I really owe you one. [​IMG]

15. dronesplitter

Member dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just glad I could help. You had to wait quite a while to continue in the middle of such a great game =P
    I also experimented with those apps which was sort of fun, if a bit frustrating. I plan to figure out a way to make them more dependable - I just hope I'm up to it.