Can't softmod 4.0 LU64 Wii... Help!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by marioxb, Feb 4, 2010.

Feb 4, 2010
  1. marioxb
    OP

Newcomer marioxb Advanced Member

United States
    My brother in law (who is in Florida, while I am in Ohio) got a Wii for Christmas. I assume it's an LU64, but as it's not in front of me, I don't know for sure. He said it came with system menu 4.0. I'm trying to help him mod it to play downloaded WiiWare and Virtual Console only, don't care about "free" disc-based games. I mailed him an SD card with the same tools I used to mod my much older Wii, using the offline method from here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

He has no internet connection, so we have to use offline methods only. The SD card I sent had the same files I used to successfully mod my Wii offline.

Here are the steps I told him over the phone, with his results. Insert SD card, go to Wii Settings, Data, Channels, SD Card, load boot.dol. Now he has the homebrew channel. I never used BootMii or a NAND backup, and don't think it's necessary, so we started at step 8 from the guide (which worked on my Wii) after Banner Bomb:

8) Run Trucha Bug Restorer and choose "IOS36" and pick "Downgrade IOS15" and "Load IOS from sd card" then restart

9) Run Trucha Bug Restorer again and choose "IOS15" then "IOS36 menu" set "IOS to slot 36" and "yes" "yes" "yes" to the 3 options then press "Install patched IOS36" and "Load IOS from sd card"

10) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation

11) Run WAD-Manager_v1.4 again. Choose IOS249 and install WADs 01-18. If WAD Manager freezes during installation just try again from the WAD it froze on.

This is where he ran into problems. Choosing IOS249 froze up the remote and system, needing a hard reset. Choosing any other IOS resulted in a -1035 error. I've searched and searched and searched some more, but I can't get a good answer. Why won't this work for him? I had him try starting over, and had him run cios-uninstaller V1.0 and 1.1 (since those helped my situation before).

Currently the only programs that will boot from his homebrew channel are wad manager 1.4 and Trucha Bug Restorer. All the others result in a black screen frozen Wii, even though they worked before!

What can he do to get homebrew and WiiWare/VC running on this particular Wii? I KNOW it can't be impossible! Help!

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Why do you use that old guide?
    There's new, better one in the stickies and my signature.

Anyway, what is it that you want to do with the Wii? Backups?

3. marioxb
    OP

United States
    Because that guide worked for me. No backups, just homebrew and downloadable games.

4. oddgriffin

Newcomer oddgriffin Member

United States
    Downloadable games? That really narrows things down doesn't it.

5. marioxb
    OP

United States
    I thought so.. WiiWare and Virtual Console games, as well as custom Virtual Console games and homebrew. Nothing else.

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    He needs to reinstall cios38. His installation failed. TBR may also have failed.

TBR is likley outdated, and failed
    Cios38-r10 is very dated, r17 is now available.

Tell him to try again and pay attention to the results. If it still fails, mail him a new sd-card with the updated guide.

7. marioxb
    OP

United States
    Thanks. I used NUS downloader and grabbed the necessary files. I then zipped everything up and was able to email it to him. We'll see how it goes...

8. ecw

Member ecw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's where you are wrong my friend. Installing WiiWare or VC is one way to get a "Banner Brick". All it takes is one bad banner and your screwed. You might want to reconsider BootMii or Preloader. Good luck.

9. marioxb
    OP

United States
    Well, yeah I meant I don't need BOTH preloader AND bootmii. Just preloader. Plus, I know how to edit banners perfectly myself and I will only have him install tested and working wad files.

Anyway, he got it working! I used the new guide linked in tj_cool's post. I had to edit it to make it dummy proof and use baby steps, because at first it was even confusing to me. Here's my 100% fool-proof, step-by-step-by-step guide:

Step 0. (Not necessary if it's a friend or family member of mine since I will provide all necessary files pre-installed on the SD card) An SD card containing:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the "private" folder is only banner bomb. The boot.elf file shown is the program that can install the Homebrew Channel.

Then:
    Wii System Menu 4.1 Offline Downgrade/Upgrade

Prerequisites:
    --SD card
    --Unplug any Gamecube Memory Cards, Gamecube Controllers, USB Devices
    --Homebrew Channel already installed (use bannerbomb)

This package will work on ANY Wii! If the Wii crashes for any of the following steps, hold the Power button until it shuts down. Then reboot and start again.

1. Run DOP-IOS MOD v11 from the Homebrew Channel. Press A to continue to the next screen. Go down once to select "Install IOS36 (r3351) w/FakeSign". Press A to continue. It will ask you if you are sure that you want to continue, so press A again. When that's finished, press A one more time. You'll end up back on the main screeen. Change the first option to IOS36 (if its not set to that already) and press A. It should say it successfully loaded the IOS, so press A to continue. Choose "IOSs" and press A. It will say "Select the IOS you want to DOP". Press left or right to change to IOS15. Press (-) minus to install the old v257 of IOS15. It will ask if you are sure, so press A to continue. Change the option to "Load IOS wad from sd card" (2 times right or left) and press A. It will ask the same thing another time, so choose the same thing as you just did and press A again. Press "Home" once it finishes installing.

2. Run DOP-IOS MOD v11 again and press A to continue to the next screen. Change the IOS to IOS15 and press A. It should say it successfully loaded the IOS, so press A to continue. Choose "IOSs" and press A. Press left or right to change to IOS36 (if its not set to that already). Press A to install the latest v3351 of IOS36. It will ask if you are sure, so press A to continue. It will ask to "Apply FakeSign Patch to IOS36". Press A to accept it. Then press A again to accept "Apply ES_Identify Patch to IOS36". Next it'll ask if you want to enable NAND permissions as well. Press A to accept this too. Change the option to "Load IOS wad from sd card" and press A. Press "Home" once it finishes installing.

3. Run DOP-IOS MOD v11 again and press A to continue to the next screen. Change the IOS to IOS36 (if its not set to that already) and press A. It should say it successfully loaded the IOS, so press A to continue. Choose "IOSs" and press A. Press left or right to change to IOS15. Press A to install the latest v523 of IOS15. It will ask if you are sure, so press A to continue. It will ask to "Apply FakeSign Patch to IOS36". Press B to deny it. Change the option to "Load IOS wad from sd card" and press A. Press B once it finishes installing to go back to the main menu of DOP-IOS MOD.

4. Choose "IOSs" and press A. Go right till you see IOS60. Now press - (minus) to install the old v6174 of this IOS. It will ask you if you're sure, so press A to continue. Accept the Fakesign patch (press A). When it asks where to load the IOS from, choose "Load IOS wad from sd card" and press A. Press A again to continue. After its done, press Home to go back to the Homebrew Channel.

5. Next, start Wad Manager. Press 1 to read from the front SD card slot. Press the (+) plus button to install System Menu-NUS-v449.wad. Let the app finish and press Home to return to the Homebrew Channel.

6. Run preloaderv0.29-cred and press 1 to install. When it's done, the Wii may reboot. If so, hold the Reset button (until the menu appears) while powering on to access preloader again and set preloader settings. Select "Systemmenu hacks" and press A to enable "Skip disc update check". Go down to "Save settings" and press A. Press B to go back to the main menu. Select "Settings". Change both "Autoboot" and "Return to" to "Systemmenu". Scroll down to "Save settings" and press A. Press B to once again return to the main menu, then choose "Systemmenu" at the top, press A, and you are done! Enjoy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can now install and run (any!) Virtual Console and WiiWare games from the SD Channel for free!