Hacking Can't seem to get Gateway to run on Luma anymore

SybreTiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had my 3DS set up to where I would hold down L or R on launch, I can't remember which, to launch into GW mode instead of Luma. Now it's been a while since I played my 3DS, probably somewhere around late last year. So I may have forgotten a step or missed something. When I boot up my 3DS like normal without pressing anything, I boot into CFW, as I can run CIAs no problem. But when I press Select that's supposed to bring up the GW menu so I can load a .3ds file, but nothing comes up. I do have the red card inserted. When I hold down Select on boot, I do get the Luma3DS (v6.3.1) configuration menu. I remember last time I played, I was able to launch into GW mode no problem. I haven't changed anything since I last played.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by SybreTiger,

bungboi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying you have Luma and you have CIA games on CFW, but you also have .3ds games on Gateway?

bungboi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I've been able to play both cias and .3ds before.
I should probably start out by saying Gateway is extremely outdated now. The best course of action is to grab your games, convert them to CIA and install them on CFW.

Do you have A9LH?

SybreTiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should probably start out by saying Gateway is extremely outdated now. The best course of action is to grab your games, convert them to CIA and install them on CFW.

Do you have A9LH?

I believe I do have A9LH, but I'm not sure how to check. Also, I like having both .3ds and cias, because I can do some things on Gateway much easier than through cias, such as access to cheats.

bungboi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I do have A9LH, but I'm not sure how to check. Also, I like having both .3ds and cias, because I can do some things on Gateway much easier than through cias, such as access to cheats.
On CFW, you can get NTR plugins and Sharkive for plenty of easier to get cheats.
When you look at the root of your SD, do you see arm9loaderhax.bin?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You still have to actually load the GW payload. That has never changed. If you don't see the GW logo when you boot up, of course the red card isn't going to do anything because you're not in GW mode. I have a modified GW payload for chain loading via luma, so I simply need to hold DOWN while powering on. If I want to get into the GW menu, I hold down, select, and I think L, because of the way the Luma boot chain looks at button presses. The drawback is that you MUST use an older emunand and never upgrade it. If you boot into a fully upgraded sysnand with GW, you'll jack up your sysnand and need GM9 to fix it.

And @bungboi don't kid yourself. There is still no easier way to find cheats.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Quantumcat

SybreTiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You still have to actually load the GW payload. That has never changed. If you don't see the GW logo when you boot up, of course the red card isn't going to do anything because you're not in GW mode. I have a modified GW payload for chain loading via luma, so I simply need to hold DOWN while powering on. If I want to get into the GW menu, I hold down, select, and I think L, because of the way the Luma boot chain looks at button presses.

And @bungboi don't kid yourself. There is still no easier way to find cheats.

Ah, that was it! I had to hold Down. Thank you. :)

And I've tried NTR cheat plugins, the availability compared to Gateway just isn't there...

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that was it! I had to hold Down. Thank you. :)

And I've tried NTR cheat plugins, the availability compared to Gateway just isn't there...
Lol... If you ever question your payloads in the future, you only need to look in Luma's payloads folder. Your GW payload is obviously in there named down_gw.bin or something like that.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly your setup is extremely outdated and updating to the latest setup is the best way to fix this. You have missed out a lot on a years worth of progress.
Luma3DS now supports cheats along with features like on-the-fly game patching with LayeredFS modifications which means no longer having to build CIAs and such. A lot has changed in the past year.
Your best bet now is just upgrade to B9S, installing Luma3DS, and retiring your old Gateway
https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night