Hacking Question Can't seem to get any payload injector to recognize/connect with Switch. Help Please!

PortEntropy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having problems injecting a payload with any method.

According the serial number guides, I have a non-patched Switch. I believe that I am properly booting into RCM with a jig (black screen, need to hold the power button for 10 seconds in order to shut down and later reboot to OFW).

I have tried Rekado on four different Android devices and a number of different cables (going straight USB C to C, USB OTG - then USB A to C). The only thing that happens is the Android device wants to charge the Switch - and I can't change any of the USB settings for the device.

I have tried Fusee Interfacee on a Macbook on OSX Catalina, connecting with a couple different USB C to A cables. It just stays on "Looking for device..." and it never finds it.

I just got an Xkit RCM Loader dongle and nothings happens when I boot in RCM - the light on the dongle doesn't come on at all.

Any ideas what could be going on? Is it possible that I am not really booting into RCM? Is there any way to verify? Is it possible that my Switch is patched?

Thanks!!

PortEntropy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have now tried on Windows 10 via a Boot Camp drive on my Macbook. No luck. I keep getting the "USB device not recognized" error message.

I have tried a couple different cables (both are new. I am certain one will work with data, and I believe the other does two). Tried both ports on the laptop. I have installed all the drivers I can find.

I get the same message when connected the Switch while booted normally.

I found another thread (on another site) where someone seemed to be having the same problems. They assumed it was an issue with the Switch's usb port - bought another unpatched Switch and it worked fine. Could this be my problem? Docking and charging work fine, but could there be a problem with the usb port that would prevent connecting to any of these devices?

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
afaik a patched switch unit wouldnt stay on a blackscreen when you try to put it in rcm. for the fact that you bought another switch and it worked there leads to the other switch somehow being unable to data transfer. maybe clean the usb-c port on the switch? i dont think it would actually help but maybe dust blocks some sectors which are needed to get the right amount of power for data transfer.

i can also imagine that inside the switch something got loose (maybe going too harsh on plugging in and out the cable on the usb-c port)

Last edited by JackTheFroster,

PortEntropy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik a patched switch unit wouldnt stay on a blackscreen when you try to put it in rcm. for the fact that you bought another switch and it worked there leads to the other switch somehow being unable to data transfer. maybe clean the usb-c port on the switch? i dont think it would actually help but maybe dust blocks some sectors which are needed to get the right amount of power for data transfer.

i can also imagine that inside the switch something got loose (maybe going too harsh on plugging in and out the cable on the usb-c port)

Thanks.

Sorry - the way I said it wasn't clear. I read a thread about someone with similar issues and that person bought another Switch which worked fine. I just went ahead and ordered another Switch yesterday, so I haven't tried another one yet. Fingers crossed on this one.

I did try cleaning out the usb-c port on the Switch. I know that can get full of gunk on my phone and cause issues, but it looked spotless on the Switch. Tried cleaning it out with a little contact cleaner anyway, but no change.

I am hoping/thinking it is some sort of issues with the USB port/connection on the Switch. Otherwise, I can't figure out why none of these methods will work.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks.

Sorry - the way I said it wasn't clear. I read a thread about someone with similar issues and that person bought another Switch which worked fine. I just went ahead and ordered another Switch yesterday, so I haven't tried another one yet. Fingers crossed on this one.

I did try cleaning out the usb-c port on the Switch. I know that can get full of gunk on my phone and cause issues, but it looked spotless on the Switch. Tried cleaning it out with a little contact cleaner anyway, but no change.

I am hoping/thinking it is some sort of issues with the USB port/connection on the Switch. Otherwise, I can't figure out why none of these methods will work.
ohhh, okay. good luck then and hope you have less trouble with the "new" one

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you have in your possession the Xkit RCM Loader One dongle, you're all set to check if your Switch is hackable or not. Make sure you fully charge the dongle first on your computer. It might take an hour, if the battery is dead. While it's plugged, you can also check the payloads included and update them if you want. Then put your Switch in RCM with the jig included on the back of the dongle. From an OFF state, jig inserted in the right joycon rail, hold volume up rocker, and tap the power button... the screen should stay black. Now, just insert the dongle and the payload should inject and run. You will see the dongle's LED light up when it injects. The color of the LED indicates which payload you selected.

PortEntropy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I got the new (used) un-patched Switch today. The first thing I tried was Rekado on my Pixel Android phone. Just Usb-c to c cable. It recognized the Switch right away.

So there was definitely some sort of problem with the other Switch (guessing usb data connection problem). I am certainly glad I got this one working, but also annoyed that I spent so much time (and money on extra cables and dongles) trying every possible method to figure out the problem, and assuming that it wasn't an issue with the Switch itself.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

tdhua

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, two years after I found this thread. I have the same problem. Do you have any solutions now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment