Hacking Can't seem to backup Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

zach12_2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After about three minutes it says "Failed: Cannot read from the source file or disk"

It seems to copy 319 of the 924 MB before failure.

The disk appears clean and undamaged.... is there any known issues with this title and the backup process. I'm using 6.2 pro-B9 and changing the USB device to UMD then copying to desktop.

I've done this with all my other games, but this one is tricky. Any advice?

Thanks, I appreciate how helpful everyone here has been.
smile.gif

hack_ziro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
either your UMD is damaged, or that issue is FW-related
try a plugin called "umd dump kai"
or try another FW
if that doesn't work, it's likely your UMD

zach12_2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, Umd dumper didn't work. I know the umd plays normally; I can't imagine why it is failing to copy.

I could try another firmware. (Though I'm reluctant to do so.) Does anyone have a suggestion as to which firmware is best to try now. Or if there is some other option available.
(If there isn't, well, it is what it is I suppose.
mellow.gif
)
Thanks in advance.

hack_ziro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well you could try disable all VSH/XMB plugins, if you have any enabled and/or set you XMB CPU-clock to 333/166Mhz (i'm not sure, if the cpu-clock even affect umd-dumping)

about which FW you want to use: depends on your PSP and opinion...for non-hackables (2004-datecode 8C or higher, 3004, go), i prefer "6.20TN-A Xtended" (temp LCFW, no permapatch) and for fully hackable PSP's (1004, 2004 datecode 8B or lower), i would recommend the latest ME-CFW

hope i was able to help

zach12_2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your continued assistance.
smile.gif

Seems that increasing the CPU clock speed increases the rate of data transfer. (But sadly, doesn't fix the error.)

I'm cleaning the disk a second time and reattempting. Then when that doesn't work I'll try another CFW.
It persistently fails at the same point in transfer. That, coupled with the other titles I transferred properly, really makes me think it's the umd. But that case would be super lame. So I'll give another CFW a whirl anyway.
unsure.gif

EDIT: I have determined that it is the user.dat file in the USRDIR folder that is the issue. All other files copy without issue. This makes me think it's the UMD.
frown.gif

Weird, it boots and everything from UMD. This is quite strange.

zach12_2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update in case you guys are interested or if someone else has this issue in the future. I went and got another copy from gamestop. It worked without any problem. Then I notice. The umd I've had for year had a clear case rather than a white one. (I got it second hand. Gamestop I think...)
I can't believe I never noticed it!

It plays fine form umd, but you can't back it up. So check your UMD, make sure it is legit.
(Could have saved my 20 bucks and a lot of time.)

Bad gamestop, bad! :whip:

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple fix for you to make your revenge on Gamestop and get your 20 dollars back.

Stick your fake disc in your legit case. Return to Gamestop as the disk you just bought.

You get your 20 bucks and a legit game instead of the fake shit Gamestop sold to you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.