Gaming Can't Save Japanese Gamecube Game

rootbeerking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i'm new to the whole gamecube import scene, I recently bought Donkey Konga 3 for my American wii. I'm using GC Boot to boot the game. I read you can only save Japanese or US games on one memorycard not both at the same time. So I deleted my animal crossing file from the memorycard that came with that game, and I went to play donkey konga 3, only to get a screen telling me that the game cannot save to slot A.

What am I doing wrong? Why is it telling me I can't save? Am I missing something? If someone could help me out that'd be great.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

UPDATE: So I figured out the kanji and it seems that it wanted me to change the format of the memorycard for Japanese saves, I do this but it keeps telling me I need to change it everytime it goes to save. So I think the problem is the memorycard isn't being formated correctly for the Japanese save data. Is there anywhere I can fix this problem? Or will I have to go spend 30 dollars on a new memorycard?

UPDATE 2: Hey folks, I got it working by using any region changer and changing my system menu and such all to Japanese, it's saving now, now though when i change it back to USA Menu and such the game won't load the data... Jeez Nintendo sure didn't make this easy... Any one else having this problem?

UPDATE 3 Final Update: Once again, while waiting for help I figure out the answer to my problem, haha gotta love trial and error! So it seems the data will load just fine without changing the system menu to Japanese. All I had to do with Any Region Changer is make it so the Language was set to Japanese, and the the game region was set to Japanese... this is alot better and faster then changing my system menu everytime I wanted to play Donkey Konga 3. As I was afraid that someday the method of changing between the two system menus would be lost and i'd be stuck at Japanese(which actually isn't that big of a deal haha. But none the less! The problem is served. But my next question I wanna throw out there is this: I wonder why using Gecko OS(which I also tried before Any Region Changer) and setting the language to Japanese didn't fix the problem, but using Any Region Changer to set the language and disk region to Japanese did work? Something that maybe should be looked into if another verison of Gecko OS is ever released, me thinks! Anywho Thank everyone who checked this out. Hopefully this post might help someone in the future who may be having the same problem that I was having. Now I'm off to jam on my bongos!

ayhano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rootbeerking said:
Hello, i'm new to the whole gamecube import scene, I recently bought Donkey Konga 3 for my American wii. I'm using GC Boot to boot the game. I read you can only save Japanese or US games on one memorycard not both at the same time. So I deleted my animal crossing file from the memorycard that came with that game, and I went to play donkey konga 3, only to get a screen telling me that the game cannot save to slot A.

What am I doing wrong? Why is it telling me I can't save? Am I missing something? If someone could help me out that'd be great.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

UPDATE: So I figured out the kanji and it seems that it wanted me to change the format of the memorycard for Japanese saves, I do this but it keeps telling me I need to change it everytime it goes to save. So I think the problem is the memorycard isn't being formated correctly for the Japanese save data. Is there anywhere I can fix this problem? Or will I have to go spend 30 dollars on a new memorycard?

UPDATE 2: Hey folks, I got it working by using any region changer and changing my system menu and such all to Japanese, it's saving now, now though when i change it back to USA Menu and such the game won't load the data... Jeez Nintendo sure didn't make this easy... Any one else having this problem?

UPDATE 3 Final Update: Once again, while waiting for help I figure out the answer to my problem, haha gotta love trial and error! So it seems the data will load just fine without changing the system menu to Japanese. All I had to do with Any Region Changer is make it so the Language was set to Japanese, and the the game region was set to Japanese... this is alot better and faster then changing my system menu everytime I wanted to play Donkey Konga 3. As I was afraid that someday the method of changing between the two system menus would be lost and i'd be stuck at Japanese(which actually isn't that big of a deal haha. But none the less! The problem is served. But my next question I wanna throw out there is this: I wonder why using Gecko OS(which I also tried before Any Region Changer) and setting the language to Japanese didn't fix the problem, but using Any Region Changer to set the language and disk region to Japanese did work? Something that maybe should be looked into if another verison of Gecko OS is ever released, me thinks! Anywho Thank everyone who checked this out. Hopefully this post might help someone in the future who may be having the same problem that I was having. Now I'm off to jam on my bongos!

Hey i did exactly everything u did, but mu saves from the internet won't work!

constantgamer247

Pourquoi?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Were you ever able to format a gamecube memory card to japanese format?

Also did you ever try a japanese formatted memory card?

Is any region changer dificult to use and are you able to only change the system language for it to work?

I wonder how that does work because I have 4.1 NTSC-U installed and if I go to the language options in the wii's settings I only have english french and spanish... but you say your have an NTSC-U system menu and anyregion changer will just change the language to japanese without changing the system menu?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks in advance and thanks for your time

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Good question. Wii system menu itself shouldn't matter, per se. But I could be wrong. I don't know exactly how Wii determines Gamecube mode language. Or whether Wii mode is also affected by these issues in Japanese games.

As you may recall from the Gamecube era, Freeloader and modchips break region lock. NOT actually run the console in Japanese. An important distinction.
Programming of certain games is incompatible with other languages. So issues vary by title. Some will happily go along with English and save progress alongside normal games. Others do things like corrupt text (missing font set) or memory card trouble.

Nintendo Puzzle Collection: Text errors in Yoshi's Cookie
Donkey Konga 3: Saving problems
Mr. Driller Drill Land: Saving problems.
Radirgy: Refuses to access memory cards. It will not budge. The game is even friendly enough to freeze up until the USER removes them, then goes back to playing as usual.

constantgamer247

Pourquoi?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[member="Lumstar"], thanks for checking in. Yah I still have not gotten any closer to a solution. I think certain allowances or modifications to DML to get this to work. There are a few other things that don't work on DML right now. Like certain EUR/PAL Games don't output video. I think Pokemon Colosseum and XD, I know the EUR/PAL Donkey Konga 1 + 2 don't work last I checked... maybe they do now. But this post is mostly talking about games working at all, where the point of this thread is Japanese gamecube games that can't format a gamecube memory card and save for some reason due to the NTSC-U system menu. Just so we don't get off topic :P

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you certain your TV accepts PAL video? NTSC Wii retains complete internal support of all PAL modes, they will be output whenever requested by software. There's just no system menu option and no licensed NTSC game release offers them.

OS language to Japanese is probably a type of hack that goes beyond DML's purpose.

constantgamer247

Pourquoi?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yah I have PAL consoles that work fine on my TV and since Pikmin 2 for the wii (the new play ctrl version) has at this point only been released in PAL (apparently nintendo is finally releasing it for NTSC), I've been playing a PAL copy on a region free NTSC wii. I can run it off my HDD or from the disk because the drive is region free.

Some PAL gamecube games work with DML off an SD card, others like the PAL Donkey Konga 1 or 2 just don't.

The PAL Donkey Konga 1 + 2 specifically use to be on the DML compatibility chart http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List as not working, but I don't see them on there anymore. I'm running a custom DIOS MIOS/DML; r59 or something. It was a custom build of r58 so the PAL Pokemon Colosseum and XD work.

Just a note I have a Samsung LN46C630 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD, great TV. Got it really cheap a little bit after LED TVs came out. No one wanted LCD screens. I hung it on the wall so it really doesn't matter how skinny it is; I never look at it sideways. Plus it is just a TV; no operating system, no google TV/android, no samsung smart TV, none of that BS. All I need is a TV for a computer monitor that can also output a few games consoles.

I dunno how I'll get a plain old TV in the future. That TV OS gimmick stuff is really just for people who don't/can't plug a computer into their TV (trust me computer > TV OS)

But anyway I hook my wii up with the component cables so it can do 480p.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't really widespread info until now. Earlier mentions on corners of the web years ago tended to be overlooked. Whole lot of hidden dialog with little audience. You need some way to boot US games on a JPN set console.

Even then read Japanese to benefit much... :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome