Homebrew Can't run legit GCN games after softmod?

mary1517

OP
Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
I gave up on Nintendo Wii hacking and modding after like... Skyward Sword (2011?) or something. Some time back then I was experimenting with USB loaders and the features that would let me run my GameCube games out of an USB HDD. I couldn't make it work so I gave up the idea. But today I was like "I feel like playing some Luigi's Mansion or Double Dash again". I put the disk in my console (legit, always worked fine and all), Wii recognised that a GCN game is inside i tried to play it but... black screen. The game doesn't load. I tried all my games that I have and none of them worked.

Did I messed up something with the MIOS? Where should I start looking to find the problem and to fix this? Wii games from CD work fine. I rly don't know where to start... I know I could try to "clean" my console of any softmods, but I don't want to, I still want to keep the USB loading feature for Wii Games. I wish I could give you guys some more clue on what is going on, any information needed - tell me how can I get it and you have it

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Could you have installed Dios Mios? If you installed it, it's expected that you can't run "legit GCN games", because what it does is replace the original Mios so it can read backups from the SD/USB. With the Wii games, it's different because it doesn't replace the original files, they're installed in a different place.

If you want to be able to play retail discs you have to install the original Mios again, replacing Dios Mios.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i don't recall dios mios stop loading original discs anymore...
eitherway post a syscheck to know if you have it or old version..

or if you want to start to get rid of problems; use modmii, put the sysckeck on modmii, or rehack the thing again, it just take 20~30 minutes ans its easy...

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
is hbc by any chance upside down? could it be you modded ios58, ios80 or ios38?
you just needen ios 236 installer, then you can install cios 222, 223, 224, 225, 249, 250, 251 with it.
then nintendont for gc roms.
but you'd better do a clean update first.

mary1517

OP
Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
HBC upside down? Nothing like that.
BTW, I have a launch unit Wii, not WiiU, 4.3E. Doing a clean start with ModMii ATM.
And no, I don't care about loading GCN backups via USB, loading from burned discs is good for me

caboyzcoti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue. I don't remember how I managed it exactly, but I use cfg usb loader now and can boot gamecube and wii both retail and iso's. What loader were you using?

mary1517

OP
Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
USB Loader GX. It gives me an error about Dios Mios. I see I have Dios Mios Lite installed. Maybe that's the problem.

dop-mii -> install 36 w fake patch -> use 36 -> goto mios -> install latest version.
if interested you could install dios mios 2.11 afterwards

I will try this right now. Just have to download dop-mii I guess

UPDATE: Nope. Still nothing. I installed cMIOS and it installed correctly but failed to patch. As for Wii games - everything works perfect. GC games: neater original nor backups work. Discs are giving black screen, and USB loader is asking to "set a default patch"

Last edited by mary1517,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are your GC games the same region as your Wii? Are you sure your discs aren't damaged?

Also, you might want to try installing MIOS rather than cMIOS.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i don't know what a launch unit means, but if it means early model (before black wii release) then cmios shoeld work fine. though if it's a later model cmios won't do much good it won't work at all since it uses some hardware that nintendo cut out in later models. you'll need mios, 4.3 e has also patched the dvdx something, so i doubt this works out.
mios works 100% for orriginal gc-discs only, nintendont works 99% for gc-iso files on a usb-drive (fat32), cios 222-225 and cios 248-251 works 99% for wii iso's on ausb-drive (fat32 or wbfs).
the drive of wii could be software limited by firmware or by hw. usb drive and sd-card were never limited.
oh i forgot to mention dop-mii is safest way to instill wii orriginal system files.
then use ios 236 installer to install mods afterwards...
for some reason sometimes you'll need to reinstall official mios once before you overwrite it by a dios mios (lite) or c-mios. (worked for my wii once with this problem).
this goes for all problems i found, go for fresh installation of latest ioses (non stub), mios and system menu (also no patched edition)
then start the mod over and report any error given while installing.

mary1517

OP
Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
SOLVED
The whole solution was to:
1. make some more space in the wii memory and install a clean hack from scratch via ModMii
2. redownload the original MIOS via NUS Downloader and install it <-- this alone fixed the problem of booting original GC games
3. download and install the cMIOS v.10 wiigators patch <-- this allowed to boot original and backups from disc

And I'm stopping at this moment. Everything works fine now. I assume the lack of free space in Wiis memory was a problem since after deleting some stuff I was able to successfully patch the MIOS, before that, it always returned a "failure".
Guess I could try to install the newest Dios Mios and see if it would work this time, but I'm not sure I even want this anymore xD

Thanks for the help everybody :)

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I could try to install the newest Dios Mios and see if it would work this time, but I'm not sure I even want this anymore xD

Thanks for the help everybody :)

Try Using Nintendont Here instead
It's far better and has much better compatibility for games and it won't mess with your MIOS Slot.

Reactions: mary1517

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
What? it does that? I've never seen that happening...

Unless you're pressing the "Reset game/ go back to Wii menu" combo and it fucks up for some reason...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/T0X6JND.jpg