Homebrew Can't run Homebrew O3DS 6.1.0-12U

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently purchased an O3DS (Pokemon X and Y version) which comes with 6.1.0-12U sysnand, however whenever I try running homebrew through browserhax, the browser either runs into the yellow screen and crashes, or doesn't even get to yellow screen and crashes.

I tried doing the following already:
•Deleting boot.3dsx and copying it again (Tried both the same boot file and the one that comes in the starter kit on smealum's website)
•Clearing Save data on browser around 20 times so far and still no change at all
•Running a game and trying to run the exploit aswell

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I'm really getting desperate since I purchased this console ONLY to run homebrew and gateway on it, as my main console is on 10.3 running homebrew atm.

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a gateway exploit for those older firmwares. However, you don't need to wait for the gateway (nor do you even need a gateway for anything whatsoever in this day and age, but I digress). This guide can get you to 9.2 right now:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Just be sure to use the o3ds firmware pack for the upgrade and not the n3ds stuff.

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just wondering.
I'll be getting a gateway cartridge next week. However in order to use gateway cart I need to run homebrew first, rite? So how can I use gateway to update if I can't enter HBL menu to install it ?
You can't use GW to update your console. Also, but this is just my opinion, you should consider to install a CFW (custom firmware) on your console and save your money. Nowadays CFWs are equivalent if not better then GW and SKY3ds. Personally I bought a gateway cartbridge one year ago and are months that it is on my desk gathering dust.

Last edited by Manuel9181,

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't use GW to update your console. Also, but this is just my opinion, you should consider to install a CFW (custom firmware) on your console and save your money. Nowadays CFWs are equivalent if not better then GW and SKY3ds. Personally I bought a gateway cartbridge one year ago and are months that it is on my desk gathering dust.

So I just need rxtools and FBI to install sysupdater CIA in order to upgrade my Old3ds to 9.0 / 9.2 and then install a CFW from there.
I'm really new to CFW anyways, what are the features of it and what can be done? is it possible to set emunand or the CFW itself just lets you play online by removing some sort of protection (?)

EDIT: And above all, is updating my system via sysupdater safe? I mean in most tutorials people claim that you should only use your own backups to do so, that's the only thing I fear.

EDIT2: Guess that if I can setup a CFW going I'll just sell my unopened Gateway cart for major profit, as where I live it's almost impossible to get one to the point I had to travel to italy to get one.

Last edited by BlackStarDark,

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The idea is that you keep your sysnand on 9.2 but then create an emunand which you use with cfw. The emunand can be whatever version you want it to be, so you can update it to 10.7 and go online and do everything.

Or if you go the arm9loaderhax route, you can eventually run cfw on your sysnand on 10.7 as well.

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The idea is that you keep your sysnand on 9.2 but then create an emunand which you use with cfw. The emunand can be whatever version you want it to be, so you can update it to 10.7 and go online and do everything.

Or if you go the arm9loaderhax route, you can eventually run cfw on your sysnand on 10.7 as well.
Kay then, ima read the guide you linked me and after that is done I'll just set up a CFW ;)

EDIT: Some guides don't mention decrypt9 on them, what is the main use of that file or app ?
EDIT2:; Nevermind, figured out lol.-

Last edited by BlackStarDark,

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Again, just be sure not to use the n3ds 9.2 pack for the upgrade since you say you have an o3ds. Already saw a few people make that mistake before.

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool. Again, just be sure not to use the n3ds 9.2 pack for the upgrade since you say you have an o3ds. Already saw a few people make that mistake before.
Got it.
I should be using this one:
c1b740c488d6219e000292aa7b8bf84b.png

Right ?

Reactions: FenrirWolf

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I just need rxtools and FBI to install sysupdater CIA in order to upgrade my Old3ds to 9.0 / 9.2 and then install a CFW from there.
I'm really new to CFW anyways, what are the features of it and what can be done? is it possible to set emunand or the CFW itself just lets you play online by removing some sort of protection (?)
You need to use sysupdater.cia in order to update your console, not FBI. About the features of CFWs, they are pretty much the same of GW except that you have to install your games on your emuNand in order to play them. However, installng your games (in .cia format) it's the safest way to play your 3ds "backups" without the risk of being banned by Nintendo. To set up a CFW you can follow alternatively this guide (easy and pretty much noob-proof) or the one posted by @FenrirWolf (harder but if followed with success, you'll set up the best mod for 3ds atm).

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also just on a side note, instead of installing sysupdater I should install the homebrew CIA to use sysupdater from there? or should I just go with sysupdater CIA ?

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also just on a side note, instead of installing sysupdater I should install the homebrew CIA to use sysupdater from there? or should I just go with sysupdater CIA ?
You have to install sysupdater.cia at your sysNand and launch it while you are on DEVMODE/PASTAMODE.

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kay thanks then ima get the latest sysupdater cia and do it all tomorrow, will let you know any update on it ^^
KK, just be sure to launch sysupdater.cia while you are on DEVMODE/PASTAMODE and not while you are on rxsysNand or you'll brick your console 100%. While you'll run the upgrade don't even touch your 3ds (closing it during this process will cause a brick too). Double-triple check if the 9.2 package which you are going to use is for o3ds or n3ds and if it's for the correct region (probably USA in your case). At end of the upgrade's process your console'll reboot itself automatically. If you'll have a black screen as result of this reboot, you'll have to power off your console again and reboot it without the sd inserted. If it'll turns on, you'll have to change the theme of your home menu and/or delete the folder called "extdata" placed into your sd at path: SD/Nintendo 3ds/(random numbers and letters folder)/(random numbers and letters folder).

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and a last question, should I get the OTP by downgrading or should I just install the CFW and don't touch anything?
That would depend on whether or not you think a9lh is worth the hassle. I suggest u read up on what it is and what it can do, and then decide.

BlackStarDark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That would depend on whether or not you think a9lh is worth the hassle. I suggest u read up on what it is and what it can do, and then decide.
Well according to the rough info, it's something that grants you 100% boot rate and a faster loading of your emunand, almost as fast as your sysnand.
Also it claims it's gonna make players able to unbrick console using some sort of bootloader in the near future and that's what really got my attention. but the process itself is quite complicated and could lead to bricks itself, not really sure if it's worth the hassle .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night