Hacking Can't run GCN or Wii games on CBHC 1.6?

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all

Hopefully this is the right place to post this - I've been searching for a few days now and haven't been able to find a solution.

So I'm setting up my brother's Wii U (after he saw mine he wanted one for himself) and I'm unable to play GCN or Wii games. I have CBHC 1.6 and the only other mod is Menu Sort.

I've installed, via WUP, a bunch of forwarders for games that I got off Wii USB Helper + WiiUiso (I saved a bunch from back when that site was stil alive). And they all work fine (NES / SNES / N64 / GBA / NDS / WII U) except the GCN and Wii Games. I've tried multiple versions of nintendont forwarders and multiple versions of boot.dol in the SD card. I tried having Wii U USB Helper "prepare" the SD card (generate config). I even swapped in my SD card from my Wii U where everything runs perfectly. Nothing seems to work, I just get the Wii logo and then a black screen. Interestingly, I can adjust the brightness of the Gamepad via the + and control pad buttons, but that's it. Power buttons don't work either, so I have to unplug to turn it off.

I never hacked the vWii or got into any of the more advanced injections or mods (I liked the interface and ease of use of the forwarders and they covered all the games I wanted to play).

Is there something I'm missing or did wrong? It's been a year or so since I did mine, and I don't remember doing anything else.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jessh seems like you did everything right and sounds like you know what you're doing too... Not sure where you messed up as all mine worked I have over 100 GameCube & Wii... Try this on Tecmoons Injector did you set up the SD card using that?

D

Deleted User

Could it be because the Wii side is not hacked? I think I've seen people say it doesn't need to be hacked though. Not sure.

Reactions: SuperDan

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure, but I can tell you it's not a cbhc problem. with that, if there were a problem, it would say that the user account associated with the game(s) had been deleted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could it be because the Wii side is not hacked? I think I've seen people say it doesn't need to be hacked though. Not sure.

afaik, it doesn't need to be, but I'm not 100%. my virtual wii is hacked.

D

Deleted User

not sure, but I can tell you it's not a cbhc problem. with that, if there were a problem, it would say that the user account associated with the game(s) had been deleted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

afaik, it doesn't need to be, but I'm not 100%. my virtual wii is hacked.

Yeah same I've had mine hacked for years, so I can't answer definitively.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah same I've had mine hacked for years, so I can't answer definitively.

the fact that he said he never hacked it on his lends credence to that. however, both gamecube and wii obviously go through the virtual wii from what I remember. I'm playing new super mario bros. wii as a vc inject on cbhc right now actually.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aye I'm in agreement with Godreborn.. Re hack the Wii side of your WIIU.... Makes perfect sense

actually, I don't think it needs to be hacked, but I'm not 100% sure. I hacked my virtual wii first long before my wii u side using smash stack with brawl (still own the copy of the game I used), so I never had experience otherwise.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ditto to above, I modded my vWii before adding Nintendont and i know Cyan has said it does not need to be modded.

If anyone can confirm that thier vWii is not hacked and still able to play gc/wii games but then again, how would one run any wii backups without modding it unless booting them from wii u menu. I'm upto my eyes in laptop problems so i may not be thinking straight here!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean he doesn't even have homebrew channel installed on his vwii? :blink:
You should least do that. It shouldn't take long and will be worth it. (Especially if you want to use all the old wii homebrew from 10 years ago.) Make sure you use the 1.1.4 version of homebrew channel. Don't forget to install the cios too.

Then check if your wii homebrew is working at all. (Nintendont) Sometimes I try to run it and it doesn't work. I think it has to do with my system not detecting my SD Card. (Yeah that's a thing) Also might want to use this loader.dol (rename to boot.dol) I been informed it fixes a rare issue of it not loading.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I'd try hacking the virtual wii to see if that changes anything. I might be wrong about it not needing to be hacked. if you want your system to do everything, the virtual wii is a pita compared with the wii u side. you need to install cios, ustealth, and even install a different FAT library for wiiware if using ustealth, then there's neek which a lot of people have issues getting to run. I don't have those issues, but it's a bit glitchy if you run system menu with neek like this:

20200710_001255_HDR.jpg

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a Minute just a thought i remember when i did My Nintendont Set ( Ages Ago ) unless i named the games " game " using the SD CARD way they wouldn't show up (Wii) but with my WiiU i did the Tecmoon Injections for GC/Wii

I doubt that helps much just a blast from the past brain fart

Reactions: Lostbhoy

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a Minute just a thought i remember when i did My Nintendont Set ( Ages Ago ) unless i named the games " game " using the SD CARD way they wouldn't show up (Wii) but with my WiiU i did the Tecmoon Injections for GC/Wii

I doubt that helps much just a blast from the past brain fart

upload_2020-9-22_16-48-10.png

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, Thanks for the responses.

I've done a bit more searching and I came across a thread by MattKimura:
How To Play Gamecube, Ps1 and N64 Games from the Gamepad

Sorry, I can't directly link the thread (new user).

So, the way I originally set up my Wii U was via method 1 (detailed in the thread) - So I never had to hack the vWii. Instead, I just used forwarders / injections, some from the USB Helper (Where it builds them for you) or from the many that used to be available from the giant thread on wiiuiso

I've also built some injects using TeconMoon's Tool - and those work great as well.

This gave me access to to the games I wanted (NES / SNES / N64 / GBA / GCN / Wii / NDS / Wii U), all with their own icon, on the Wii U menu page. That way I could just boot the game from the icon, run it on the gamepad or TV, and never have to boot the into vWii menu. I stored everything on a 256gb USB, so it was easy to bring to friends' houses for multiplayer.

Unfortunately the OP in that thread, MattKimura, notes that for some users, this method results in a black screen and doesn't work. Sadly, it seems my brother's Wii U is one of those unlucky few :(

So I guess I'll have to hack the vWii and run games that way.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, Thanks for the responses.

I've done a bit more searching and I came across a thread by MattKimura:
How To Play Gamecube, Ps1 and N64 Games from the Gamepad

Sorry, I can't directly link the thread (new user).

So, the way I originally set up my Wii U was via method 1 (detailed in the thread) - So I never had to hack the vWii. Instead, I just used forwarders / injections, some from the USB Helper (Where it builds them for you) or from the many that used to be available from the giant thread on wiiuiso

I've also built some injects using TeconMoon's Tool - and those work great as well.

This gave me access to to the games I wanted (NES / SNES / N64 / GBA / GCN / Wii / NDS / Wii U), all with their own icon, on the Wii U menu page. That way I could just boot the game from the icon, run it on the gamepad or TV, and never have to boot the into vWii menu. I stored everything on a 256gb USB, so it was easy to bring to friends' houses for multiplayer.

Unfortunately the OP in that thread, MattKimura, notes that for some users, this method results in a black screen and doesn't work. Sadly, it seems my brother's Wii U is one of those unlucky few :(

So I guess I'll have to hack the vWii and run games that way.

Ahaaa well thats progress at least you know what to do !! i used this for all my GC/Wii games

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

Just a Amazing tool & ALSO if you use that tool and USB Helper it will make some really nice Icons and Splash Screens for Gamecube Games ...

Last edited by SuperDan,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder then by modding your vWii if that will allow your wii/gc games to boot from wii u side?
I have all my backups running that way.... Autoboot comes to mind as it will show a nintendont memory card creation screen upon 1st boot and never again when playing the same games.

Most of them came from the aforementioned wiiuiso thread and my own creations with teconmoons injector..... Great tool!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,
Reactions: Bronsonator

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder then by modding your vWii if that will allow your wii/gc games to boot from wii u side?
I have all my backups running that way.... Autoboot comes to mind as it will show a nintendont memory card creation screen upon 1st boot and never again when playing the same games.
Yeah I'm curious about that too - I'll have try the injections after getting the vWii Nintendont running and see if they work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.