Hacking Can't run GCN or Wii games on CBHC 1.6?

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey All

So I thought I'd make a follow up response, in the hope that anyone else with this issue might find this thread. It seems remarkably rare - almost impossible to find any documentation on it.

I last left off coming to the conclusion that any Wii U VC injections for GCN + Wii games simply do not work for this Wii U. Any time I try to load one, I'm met with a black screen and the inability to shut the Wii U off.

So I decided to hack the vWii and try to run the games there. With HBC and Wad managers up and running, I started with Nintendont. Booted it up, grabbed an ISO off my SD, and...it worked. I also installed a vWii nintendont forwarder and Wii 64 Rice, and those worked fine too. I didn't get to try Wii games, but I suspect those would work as well.

The problem though, Is that there is no way to use the Gamepad or the Wii U Pro Controllers since I'm on vWii. And to me, that makes the Wii U as portable emulator much less appealing. I believe my brother still has a gamecube controller lying around, but he would have to get the Wii U adapter.

So I searched for a solution and found a couple of options. The first was to install a gamepad friendly vWii HBC forwarder, allowing you to boot from the Wii U into the vWii HBC. I installed the OHBC wad on vWii, then the forwader via WUP. And...nothing. Same black screen as always :(

I also found a bunch of Wii U forwarders for the vWii emulators, Wii 64, Snes9x, etc. Still nothing.

I was curious if after running Nintendont via vWii that I could then boot the injections after backing out to the Wii U menu. Nope. 100% failure rate.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine exactly what's causing it, but It seems something is failing every time the Wii U needs to access the vWii within an injection / forwarder. All the Wii U injections that do not require vWii work perfectly. But any software that needs the vWii (when accessed from the Wii U) fails, regardless of how it's made - I see the Wii splash screen, hear the system boot.....and nothing.

It's not an SD card issue - swapping to an SD card from a system that I know works does nothing. And if I pull the SD card out I get a boot.dol missing notification when trying to launch GCN games, so the Wii U is reading it.

I'm not sure there is a fix - I could only find one post that acknowledged its existence, and the work around was unsuccessful for me :(

At this point I'm going to see what my brother wants to do, but personally I think I'd recommend resetting everything to factory and selling it as a regular Wii U to get another one.

Last edited by Bronsonator,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. have you tried a nintendont forwarder? some of these forwarders require a special version of the software. I'm not sure if it can be linked here, but I have the forwarder and the nintendont version that works with it.

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep
I'm not sure. have you tried a nintendont forwarder? some of these forwarders require a special version of the software. I'm not sure if it can be linked here, but I have the forwarder and the nintendont version that works with it.

Yep - I have 5 or 6 Nintendont forwarder versions. All of them fail.

If it was a Nintendont specific issue I'd expect just the GCN injections to fail - as they require it. But with Wii injections (and any forwarder that needs to access vWii) failing as well, it seems to be a broader issue. :unsure:

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need nintendont in wiiu/apps.

Yeah - when I was trying different things to get it working I saw it was in there on my Wii U SD card (probably put in there by mistake).

So I tried it here as well (didn't work of course), just never deleted it.

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it's case sensitive, but I spelled mine Nintendont with a capital N.

It's not. Nintendont works fine on the vWii - what doesn't work is any forwarder or Wii U VC injection that requires vWii access from the Wii U side. This means any package installed via WUP that accesses vWii, USB Helper Injections for GCN / Wii or TeconMoon injections.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow.... Im out of ideas! I was sooo sure teconmoons injector would sort everything for you. They can take a while to load but I'm guessing you waited long enough!

Certainly strange but not beyond possibility... That console is one of the ones that just refuses to do it.

Maybe the serial number can shed light on that but im not even sure enough info in that area exists but I'm sure it's been reported sonewhere before that these consoles are out there.

Major bummer man.... I hope someone else can maybe help. Xflak and cyan come to mind but you'd have to pm them if they are still around.

Reactions: Alexander1970

ryguy2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried removing CBHC and factory resetting the WiiU? You may have to remove the the vWii hack also before doing it.

Bronsonator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.... Im out of ideas! I was sooo sure teconmoons injector would sort everything for you. They can take a while to load but I'm guessing you waited long enough!

Certainly strange but not beyond possibility... That console is one of the ones that just refuses to do it.

Maybe the serial number can shed light on that but im not even sure enough info in that area exists but I'm sure it's been reported sonewhere before that these consoles are out there.

Major bummer man.... I hope someone else can maybe help. Xflak and cyan come to mind but you'd have to pm them if they are still around.

Yeah it's weird, I'm genuinely stumped. :huh:

Have you tried removing CBHC and factory resetting the WiiU? You may have to remove the the vWii hack also before doing it.

I'm holding out for a couple days to try one or two more things, but that is my last option yeah. If I can't get it to work I'll try resetting everything and going for fresh install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night