Can't post on gbatemp, Giant Bomb, or youtube

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys something really weird is happening, I could not post on gbatemp, I could not post on Giant Bomb, when I go to youtube and search for a video, thumbnails only appear for the first 5 videos listed, the rest are just grey boxes. When I load a video I have to refresh the page 1 or 2 times before the video will appear (otherwise it is just a black box) and the comments do not appear at all.

Later I could post on gbatemp. But then later again, I could no longer post. So it freakin comes and goes. What the fuck.

The comment field on giantbomb appears but I cannot interact with it at all. Like it's part of the background

I tried making a thread on gbatemp, but the comment field did not appear at all, only the thread title and poll option fields appeared. I actually tried making this thread that way (by putting my sentences as poll choices) but gbatemp says "please put a valid message".

Thing is, this is all on Firefox, so it is most likely a Firefox issue, but it is version 27.0.1 which is ten days old, and I did not have problems until now.

So just now I tried Chrome which I had installed a few weeks ago, and sure enough youtube works fine, giant bomb works fine, gbatemp works fine. (I did not test deviantart yet) So apparently it is a browser issue, I guess Firefox just sucks all of a sudden, but I find it very fishy and it's making me a bit uneasy. Has my Firefox been hijacked somehow? Is there a setting in about:config that needs adjusting? If I delete Chrome will Firefox coincidentally start working fine again?? I'd really like to know what is happening.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Google chrome comes with most of its plugins built in and therefore they update automatically as well.
Firefox doesn't, you have to download and install flash and everything else separately, so its likely that one of your plugins for Firefox is out of date.
Try looking round at flash player etc and update all of them.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you have any addons installed for Firefox? Try launching it in safe mode. (my 27.0.1 works perfectly fine ans I have chrome installed as well)

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have add-ons:
avast! WebRep
Hide tab bar with one tab
DeSopa
LogMeIn.Inc Remote Access Plugin
Menu Editor
NoScript
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (disabled)

When it first happened I thought it was a NoScript issue, but allowing all scripts didn't fix any of the issues.
Though maybe it is a NoScript issue, assuming there is a conspiracy and all these websites simultaneously decided to shut out adblockers. (I don't really consider NoScript an ad-blocker but technically it does do that lol)

Attachments

• gbatemp box jpg.jpg
    gbatemp box jpg.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 308

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does clearing cache or cookies remove things like saved passwords?
If the website keeps that kind of stuff in your cookies, yes, it does. Nevertheless, you should periodically clean any and all data used by the browser anyways to prevent this from happening. Problems with obsolete cookies often occur when changes to websites are implemented. In the case of Youtube, it's undergone an overhaul recently and that means problems. It's clean-up time. ;)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Clear your cache often (you can use ctrl+F5 for a quick cache clearing refresh), and clear cookies whenever sites start giving you issues. As a Firefox user, I have yet to ever have an issue with a site explicitly due to Firefox. Hell, it's been a few years since I've even had to deal with their old pesky memory leak bug that could pretty much cause FF to crash a computer, and that was back when they weren't updating all that often.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well, I tried deleted cookies that start with the word google or youtube only. So I go to youtube, click on a video or two but comments did not appear. (edit: Ctrl + f5 did not work either)

I disabled NoScript and now EVERYTHING WORKS

:wtf:

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call this ending well. If I can't use NoScript then there's barely any reason to use Firefox anymore. I'm considering switching to Chrome.

But more to the point, why did these problems occur in the first place and why does disabling NoScript fix it? I still don't have an explanation and I find it quite odd for this to happen out of nowhere.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded NoScript to see if that would work, oddly enough it actually downgraded my NoScript from 2.6.8.15rc5 to 2.6.8.14.
But everything works now. (so far anyway) GB and Youtube had the problem but tinkering with the scripts solved it.
Anyway, thanks everyone.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup, rc means Release Candidate. That should be one of the first things to try disabling when stuff gets broken. Also, mostly out of curiousity, why would you use NoScript anyway? Adblock + Ghostery blocks all ads and tracking stuff as well but it doesn't break nearly every single web page until you manually allow a bunch of URLs. (and in some cases, said URL is randomized like Cloudflare things and you'll have to allow it every time you visit the page >_>)

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yup, rc means Release Candidate. That should be one of the first things to try disabling when stuff gets broken. Also, mostly out of curiousity, why would you use NoScript anyway? Adblock + Ghostery blocks all ads and tracking stuff as well but it doesn't break nearly every single web page until you manually allow a bunch of URLs. (and in some cases, said URL is randomized like Cloudflare things and you'll have to allow it every time you visit the page >_>)
I got NoScript to block some "hosted by this" pop-ups on a manga translation blog, which AdBlock did not disable. But in general, I keep NoScript on "allow scripts as default" and start blocking things if something is a bother.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got NoScript to block some "hosted by this" pop-ups on a manga translation blog, which AdBlock did not disable. But in general, I keep NoScript on "allow scripts as default" and start blocking things if something is a bother.
Ah, that explains it. I always block things like that manually with Adblock, there's some plugin that lets you easily add your own rules by right clicking something and hitting "block element with adblock".

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first when I saw the I was going to ask how you made this thread if you couldn't post on gbatemp, but then I read to OP lol

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Google chrome comes with most of its plugins built in and therefore they update automatically as well.
Firefox doesn't, you have to download and install flash and everything else separately, so its likely that one of your plugins for Firefox is out of date.
Try looking round at flash player etc and update all of them.

Another reason why Chrome > Firefox
And believe me, I've tried both and Firefox eats all of my RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: