Can't play Wii ware on new wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by umjamalama, Apr 23, 2016.

1. umjamalama
    OP

umjamalama Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2009
    Hey, so I used to have a softmodded wii and I had a whole bunch of VC/WiiWare that I had installed, then transfered them to the SD card. Few years passed and I found a new Wii, and my old SD card. Put it in and all the old VC/WiiWare titles are there but I can't use them.
    Is there anyway I can use them, perhaps fake their tickets or something?

2. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    Is the new Wii softmodded? That's your only way to go I'm afraid , even if your WW/VC was legitimately purchased, where the Wii is concerned everything is console locked. Once softmodded then sure you can play the games. but it's a bit fiddly - actually easier to download the wad files in all honesty...

3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Only Nintendo can transfer digital Wii purchases to another Wii, or otherwise restore lost licenses.
    They never publicly released a Wii to Wii transfer tool (unlike Wii to Wii U, and Wii U to Wii U).

Still if your games are pirated, this is a moot point.

4. umjamalama
    OP

umjamalama Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2009
    I can soft mod the new Wii right now, but once that is done, what would be the process of unlocking the VC/WiiWare titles?

5. umjamalama
    OP

umjamalama Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2009
    Hey, just a wee bump to see if anyone has a solution to my problem (playing vc/ww stored on a sd card from one Wii on another). I've softmodded the new Wii and just waiting to roll :)

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    The files on the SD are encrypted with a common key, which is why you can see the channels on the SD card.

You can't copy them back to the system because the console ID in the ticket is incorrect (as well as the signature). It's possible that someone may have written a tool to bypass this, but I don't know of any offhand.

Easiest option is to just reinstall the channels using the original WAD files.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, Apr 27, 2016