Can't play Wii games from FAT32 drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Googoie, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Googoie
    OP

Googoie Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    Greetings,

My goal has been to set up a single USB drive, such that both Wii and GameCube games can be played off of it.

I've gotten close. I am using USB Loader GX and DIOS MIOS. I was able to play Wii games from a NTFS formatted drive, but I then learned that DIOS MIOS doesn't work with NTFS. I then reformatted the drive to FAT32 (active, primary, 32k cluster), splitting my Wii ISOs with Wii Backup Fusion. I tried split ISOs and split wbfs files. Both appear in the GX game list. However, when attempting to run the split ISOs, I get a green error screen telling me to restart and check the manual, and when attempting to run the split wbfs files, I get booted back to whichever menu I loaded GX from (usually the Wii menu, but I tried loading GX from the Homebrew Channel once, and attempting to load the game put me back there). The split wfbs games do run off of NTFS drives, I believe.

I tried to run SysCheck, but it keeps hanging (from what I can tell from a quick search, it's because I don't have ModMii).

I reinstalled d2x (v10) to the "recommended" configuration (56 to 249, 57 to 250, 58 to 251 for good measure), but that didn't fix anything. I believe everything else is up to date.

So, GameCube games work on FAT32 but not NTFS, and Wii games work on NTFS but not FAT32.

Where is my issue? Why don't my Wii games work from FAT32?

Alternatively, if this can't be solved for whatever reason, is there a way for GX to read multiple partitions from the same drive, so that I can have FAT32 for GameCube and NTFS for Wii on the same USB drive?

Thanks.

2. Googoie
    OP

Googoie Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    Alright, so I split to wfbs in Wii Backup Manager, and it works now...

I suppose my partition question still stands, though.

3. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    I am using a 1TB drive formatted to fat 32 and i use it for both wii and gamecube games just fine.

You need to run a syschk and post the results.