Can't play PAL GC games on PAL Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tyralyon, Sep 8, 2010.

Sep 8, 2010
  1. Tyralyon
    OP

Newcomer Tyralyon Advanced Member

Norway
    Hello everyone.

A long time ago I hacked my wii, using a HDD to play all my games of. It's very nice, but I encountered a problem that I eventually gave up on and haven't bothered with it since... until now.

I had both a PAL and US GC, so I have both PAL and US games, and so I wanted to make the Wii region free for GC games.
    I think I did some form of region free patching, but I can't remember for sure.

I have IOS 249 v.20 and use USB Loader GX. Whenever I mount a GC game, USB Loader reads it fine and tells me what game it is. Running US games is no problem, they work, but whenever I try any PAL games I get a black screen on launch.

The games are all originals, have never tried any GC backups.

My Wii was originally PAL, so it's a bit funny I guess.
    When I go into the original Wii Launcher and insert a GC game I get an error and it tells me to remove the disc and reboot. That happens no matter what region the game is.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Do you have a cmios installed?

3. Tyralyon
    OP

Norway
    Hmm, sorry, my memory is so bad.
    I do think so, cause I have both cIOSCORP v3.3 and a folder called cMIOSins (contains two files - RVL-bc-v5-trucha.wad and RVL-cmios-v9-v3.3.wad) on my SD card.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Arrgh! You don't even know what MIOS or cMIOS you actually have installed?

Anyways, to me it looks like you are forcing the video mode to NTSC which only works for a handful of GC games. And if your games don't work in the disc channel, that's probably because of DarkCrap or a super duper awesome doesn't work, but scews everything up in exchange, priiloader region free hack. With correct IOS and no system menu patch, you should always get the games from the correct region to work. Well if you have a cMIOS with integrated launcher installed, then this should show up and if the games wouldn't work with it, it would be the cMIOS fault. All other MIOS and cMIOS shouldn't screw retail disc loading up.

5. Tyralyon
    OP

Norway
    Haha, sorry, I'll try and look into it (I'm guessing it's the cIOSCORP v3.3).

Which cMIOS would you recommend then?

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. I tried to use Wiigators gamecube backup launcher. It comes with a miospatcher, but when I tried to install that I just got an error.

6. Tyralyon
    OP

Norway
    Ok, so a little update.

I downloaded cMIOS Installer Rev5: http://filetrip.net/f9667-cMIOS-Installer-rev-5.html

When I launch it I am asked what MIOS version I would like to install.
    Can't find much info on this. The default is v4 so I'll go with that.

I'm pretty sure I've done this before, just with another MIOS installer.
    Sorry for being such an idiot, I'm usually not this noob [​IMG]
    I just read up on everything and did all the hacking in a day or two a long time ago, and my memory ain't the best, so I'm a little out of touch. It's all been working fine, except for PAL GC games at least...

Another update:
    The install went fine, but didn't help much, everything is the same.
    It sounds logical that it forces NTSC. Any ideas on how to change that?

7. ketufe

Member ketufe GBAtemp Regular

France
    ModMii used to download what you need

8. Tyralyon
    OP

Norway
    Thanks, I'll try that, even though XFlak's link doesn't seem to work at the moment.

Tried using StartPatch, but that only returns an error (ES_Init...ISFS Get Filestats ErrorError: -101.)

I have now used DOP_Mii and updated the MIOS to v10 and I've also downloaded latest version of PriiLoader and activated the 'Region Free GC Games (no VM Patch)' hack.

My Wii System Menu is 4.1E by the way.

When I installed Priiloader I had to hold B to use IOS249, or else got some kind of ES_Init error again.