Cant load .iso's on my sd card larger than 4gb

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mAdvillainy, Jun 17, 2009.

Jun 17, 2009
  1. mAdvillainy
    OP

Newcomer mAdvillainy Member

United States
    Im using banner bomb, and im trying to put moh2 on my sd card, but it keeps saying fat32 cant handle a file larger than 4 gb, and if i convert the card to ntfs format i can put the whole .iso on the card but THEN, the wii wont read the card!!

is there a way to make this work???

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    the card has to be a wbfs file system. This is a custom system for the loader.
    just start the loader and it will format for you

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    First of all you can't load .iso's from a card formatted to FAT or NTSC in the first place. If you want to use a sd/usb loader to play a game, it needs to be formatted to WBFS or at least have a partition of it that's formatted to WBFS. Then when you put the .iso on the card it will automatically be scrubbed to the actual size of the game and not 4.6 GB for every game (Wii sports would be like 0.2 GB)

Note that NOTHING but Wii games can go on a partition formatted to WBFS. If you want to use the same card for your other homebrew applications you need to make a FAT partition big enough to hold your apps and such and leave the rest for a WBFS partition through WBFS manager or the usb loader itself.

4. oxMUDxo

Member oxMUDxo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you're trying to boot a Wii ISO with USB Loader You're SD Card needs to be formatted to WBFS..

USB Loader can do this or WBFS Manager can.
    ReFormatting a SD Card deletes everything on the Card so make a back up and you'll only be able to use the SD Card with USB Loader...

You'll also need WBFS Manger to load the ISO to the SD Card.

5. DsHacker14

Member DsHacker14 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You have to download WBFS and format your sd card for it to be able to read wii .isos with the sd/usb loader or whatever app you are using. I recommend you using a usb to load your .iso from because whenever you format your sd card with wbfs it will delete EVERTHING you have on there. So if you have homebrew on there you wont be able to load it any more from the homebrew channel.

6. mAdvillainy
    OP

United States
    u mean open it on the wii and then go back and put the iso on the sd?

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No we mean format it to WBFS like you would format it to FAT or NTSC. WBFS is a completely different file system needed to play Wii games off an external device. You can only format to WBFS through WBFS manager on your pc (need to download it) or if you already have a usb loader app on your sd card and have already partitioned it (meaning you can have two separate file systems on the same card with a different amount of space allocated for each one). You would then boot up the usb loader through hbc or whatnot and tell it to format the partition you made for WBFS, then either install the game to that partition by putting in the actual disc of the game and installing it through the Wii or using WBFS manager on your pc to transfer it to the WBFS partition.

You can't just normally put the .iso onto the sd card regardless. The Wii won't read an .iso image directly anyways.

Look up WBFS manager, look up partitioning a drive, and use them to get the .iso onto the WBFS partition of your sd card.

8. mAdvillainy
    OP

United States
    i got it goin, thanx for the help everyone

9. fatherjack

Member fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    mAd,

did you partition your SD card into two?

If you did, what did you do to achieve this?

I'm waitin' on a 32gig SD and wanted to partition it into 2Gig (FAT32) for HBC files/folders and 30Gig (WBFS) for backups