Can't install cIOS...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Robotic Earthlin, Nov 13, 2008.

Nov 13, 2008

Can't install cIOS... by Robotic Earthlin at 2:12 AM (5,470 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Member Robotic Earthlin GBAtemp Regular

I have tried both the one that came with the Backup Launcher from here, as well as the the version with the read retry fix here. They both do the same thing on my Wii. As soon as I start it, it shows all that white text on a black background and near the bottom it says "Press A to continue." I tried pressing A, I tried holding A, I tried pressing every other button on the Wiimote and GameCube controller, but nothing happens. I tried running the Backup Launcher to see if the cIOS installed without telling me, but it just stays on the opening screen where it says WiiGator at the top.

I just installed the Homebrew Channel today, and my Wii is probably at least a month behind in updates. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but I thought I'd mention it. Thanks in advance.

2. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try installing the cIOS rev6 rrfix WAD with WAD manager.

3. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Sounds like your missing a cIOS alright - try the zip in my signature with the How to install file 0 see if you did them steps ?

4. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

I wasn't sure which zip you were talking about, since you have a few zips in your signature, and I couldn't find anything about "how to install file 0" in any of them, so I started from scratch with the first link in your signature. Same results, with any cIOS installer I try.

I tried running the cIOS uninstaller to see if something had gone wrong before. When I started it up, it said "Custom IOS (IOS249) found," but then, when I tried to uninstall it, it said "(ERROR): IOS could not be uninstalled! (ret = -2011) Press any key to restart the Wii."

I'm new to this Wii hacking thing, but I'm guessing that means I have a problem. How can I fix this?

5. Diffusion

United States
    Try using Anytitle Deleter to uninstall IOS249. Then use the installer for cIOSrev06 read retry fix.

If Anytitle Deleter doesn't load properly, then you're probably at 3.3v2 and should downgrade.

6. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Alright, I successfully deleted IOS249 with Any Title Deleter, and to confirm this, I ran the cIOS uninstaller again, and it said that there was no custom IOS installed. However, even after that, running any cIOS installer gives me the same results. It tells me to press A, but it doesn't do anything when I do. After that attempt I ran the cIOS uninstaller again, out of curiosity, and it still says there is no custom IOS installed.

7. Diffusion

United States
  8. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Haha, I had actually just started that method right before you posted. Amazingly enough, it worked. Thanks a lot. I'm still confused as to why the other method didn't work for me, but I guess I shouldn't worry about that anymore.

9. hondaman900

Newcomer hondaman900 Newbie

United States
    When I try to delete IOS249 with AnyTitle Deleter it fails with ticket errors. Can't find a resolution to this. Any ideas? Looks like until I delete IOS249 I can't get cIOS Installer to run and consequently Backup Launcher to function. Any suggestions much welcome.

10. iowaguy27

Newcomer iowaguy27 Newbie

United States
    I have a similarish problem. I tried to install the cios that came with backup v.3 gamma but it gave a exception (dsi) message and froze up. So I tried rev7 and it did the same thing, so then I used ciosuninstaller 1.1 to get rid of 249. But, i still cannot install rev7 or the other one. Now I'm trying rev13 and neogamma but rev13 goes through just fine and gives the 2011 can't install cios at the end. I ran downgrader back when I first put on hbc. I'm lost.