Can't get World of Goo to install on PAL Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JakMon_777, Nov 18, 2008.

Nov 18, 2008
  1. JakMon_777
    OP

Newcomer JakMon_777 Member

Australia
    I have used freethewads, and successfully I'm pretty sure. I even went back in to the executable in cmd to see if it's region had changed, and it said it had. I tried installing when it was PAL and "Free", but to no avail.

I load up v1.3 of Wad Manager, it recognizes the Wad, then when I press + to install, it gets some error ticket and saus "ret = -2011" or something to that effect. Is this a case of the game just not being able to be changed region wise, or is it my fault?

2. HippyG

Newcomer HippyG Member

United States
    My friend got an error like this the other day and I had him reinstall the latest cIOS and it worked for him.

He was on a NTSC wii with an NTSC World of Goo though...

3. idunnoilikends

Member idunnoilikends GBAtemp Fan

United States
    for the love of god buy that game its amazing

4. JakMon_777
    OP

Newcomer JakMon_777 Member

Australia
    I'm going to buy this damn game, but it isn't out in PAL regions yet. I'll check this topic again if anyone has anything, but I've tried everything.

5. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    I got some "ret = -" error after using freethewads on this (quite old p4/single core) PC. Apparently it has problems with some PC's so I tried freethewads again on a c2d pc and that allowed goo to be installed fine.

If you use starfall you won't need to use freethewads though, much more convenient. =]

6. harryk

Member harryk GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Basic question, but: Do you have enough free blocks on your Wii? This game uses over 300 blocks...

7. zerof

Member zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have the same problem but not with world of goo, but the internet channel. Yes, I have enough free blocks and I have rev7 of the cIOS.

I've tried about five different wads also.

8. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Have you installed the oct 23rd update because this is the error people usually get when they have the oct 23rd installed

9. zerof

United States
    I had installed it but then went through the sticky at the top and downgraded. Only wads for that channel will not install.

10. mtyler88

Newcomer mtyler88 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have some sort of problem with this too, i open up command prompt and type "cd C:\wads" then say "freethewads.exe world of goo.wad poopie" And it loads but says that it can't open the file freethewads? Can someone help me please?

Thanks

11. zerof

United States
    Search for the freethewads gui.

12. hogofwar

Newcomer hogofwar Newbie

United Kingdom
  13. fruitman

Newcomer fruitman Advanced Member

United States
    i didn't need free the wads to run it. i'm on 3.2e and have starfall installed to give me region free channels [​IMG] i tried it for myself after reading this thread

14. pandas0nic

Member pandas0nic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    this is intesrting, i have Starfall installed correctly, and its great, and works for every other-region game ive tried (I have a PAL Wii v3.2E + Starfall + IOS36) and plenty of blocks free to install the WAD using WadManager 1.31... but every time i try to install WorldOfGoo (ive tried original unpatched NTSC-U and region patched version) i get this error every damn time:

Code:
    >> Installing content #11... ERROR! (ret = -1)
    Its a shame because i cant even buy the game yet in my PAL region, so i did want to try it out, anyone have any ideas?

15. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Maybe because you don't have a "wad" folder in the root of your SD card? It happens, and make sure you typed the folder with the correct spelling, and that is "wad". all lower-case.

16. pandas0nic

Member pandas0nic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    afif95, first of all thanks for replying... i do have a WAD folder already, and it's in uppercase, and have never had a problem installing any wad before this one whatsoever.

But youre idea of making it lowercase was worth a shot, so i renamed it to lower case "wad" but still the exact same error occurs, thanks anyway [​IMG]

17. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    sorry, kinda get hyped up after seeing the ret= - 1 error, because I know what that stands for lol.

anyway, if you're receiving that error, that means that it can't read the content #11. If using multiple WAD didn't work, probably it's the problem with either your Wii or SD or WAD Manager. Try using Custom WM. If that doesn't work, you're screwed, nah just joking.

EDIT: Have to go offline, sorry. And I'm not able to help you out till Tuesday, hometown visit.

Please, anyone, help this poor guy.

18. ditto

Newcomer ditto Newbie

Afghanistan
    Format your SD card to FAT and then try.

Ditto