Can't get EZ4 soft-reset to work anymore on some games

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Ammako, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ammako
    OP

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Just up until tonight, I had all 4 Super Mario Advance working fine, with soft-reset to menu working fine so I could return to EZ4 menu and have the save file write to SD card without having to power off.

Then I found the patch from the Wii U VC which adds all the e-Card levels to SMA4, and found that a color restoration patch had been made for SMA4, I just went ahead and got new clean roms to apply the relevant color patches to.

Except now, no matter what I do, I can -not- get soft-reset to work on SMA2 (Super Mario World) or SMA4 (Super Mario Bros. 3) anymore. It appears to work fine with SMA and Yoshi's Island.

I'm patching using ezgba, then applying kuwanger's sleephack, with a modified patch.bin that sets the soft-reset key combo to A+B+Start+Select. This has always worked before.

I've tried applying sleephack before running the rom through ezgba, I've tried running it through ezgba first and -then- applying sleephack, neither of those work.

I even went as far as trying to patch it using the original EZ4Client and it still doesn't work, except here apparently the soft-reset does not work at all even for SMA and Yoshi's Island, where kuwanger's sleephack does. With soft-reset key combo being set to A+B+Start+Select in EZ4 Client, so doubt I'm just pressing the wrong button combo (no reason why they'd just randomly change in between games anyway.)

Thinking it might be the color patches or the WiiU VC patch interfering, I went back and tried clean roms. Tried both North American and European language roms, tried both v1.0 and v1.1 (in the case of SMA4.) It won't work for any of them.

Why

What am I doing wrong, it worked before, why won't it work anymore?

@Gyron, in your post here on another thread you have a patch for the WiiU VC-patched SMA4, which I've tried, and it actually works, unlike everything else I've tried. What have you done to make it work? I need to patch it myself to have the my key combo because L+R+Start+Select isn't very convenient for me (that and I'll need to do the same with SMW.)

2. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    It's a while back, so I honestly can't remember. I didn't know about that new colour patch for SMB3, so I'm glad you posted. I'll have a look and post a working patch with 'Select + Start + A + B'. I'll look at SMW too.

Last edited by Gyron, Mar 11, 2017
  3. Ammako
    OP

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    In case you might need it, this is the patch.bin I've been using for kuwanger's sleephack that has a+b+start+select set as the EZ4 reset to menu key combo. No clue how that really works tbh, someone made that for me years ago and I've just kept it.

I don't really care for sleep mode, but there were a few times where EZ4Client's own reset patch wasn't working with some games and it was suggested to me to patch the rom with kuwanger's sleephack, since it included EZ4 reset and that worked when the official patch somehow didn't.

I can keep trying on my end, but if you're trying just don't forget to have the color restoration patch on for both (no other patches, just color restoration and EZ4 reset. Guess you can include sleephack on L+R+Start / Start+Select if you want since all my other games have it now anyway...)

It looks like sleephack simply does not work -at all- for SMA2 and SMA4 so I guess no wonder the EZ4 reset part doesn't work... doesnt tell me why regular EZ4Client reset patch doesnt work though :s

If I can never get this to work I might as well just stick to DSTwo gba emu heh... at least then the extra stuff the ds2 has won't be going to waste. Or perhaps everdrive gba whenever I might be able to afford that hmm...

Also noticed... apparently Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap likes to freeze a lot. Patched with ezgba and then with sleephack applied over it, I don't remember that happening but it was freezing like this when I tried it (and that was the rom I patched and added to my EZ4 a while ago, but I tried patching another rom in case the one on my card got corrupted somehow but it has the same issues. :s)

Turns out apparently I already had that issue with those games all those years ago (https://gbatemp.net/threads/sleephack-not-working-properly-for-some-games.357460/)
    I could have sworn I've gotten it to work at some point though... and since you've gotten it to work for SMA4 there must be a way to make it work.
    From what kuwanger was saying there it sounds like Minish cap is a lost cause for his sleephack anyway, and I guess SMA2/SMA4 too.

---

Ok, I've found a solution to my problem. I needed to use EZ4 Client 1.03, a version from 2007. Apparently EZ4 Client 2014 is ass, that or it only supports newer EZ4s with newer firmwares.
    There is still a problem with this one with SMA3: Yoshi's Island, the soft-reset doesn't work. However I believe that the reset works fine with the European version so I can just use that one instead (otherwise I'm pretty sure kuwanger's sleephack works just fine with SMA3 anyway.)

Crisis averted!

Attached Files:

Last edited by Ammako, Mar 11, 2017
  4. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Ok, I have attached some patches here for SMA4. Patch 'IPS' to a clean 'Super Mario Advance 4 - Smb3 (v1.1 aka Rev 1)' 'No-Intro' US rom (crc: 88DAB27F). It will patch:

- EZ IV bytes.
    - Flash1M to Sram.
    - Snes colour palette (thanks Vague Rant)
    - 38 e-Reader levels from the Virtual Console Edition.
    - Soft Reset back to EZ IV Menu (Either 'Select + Start + A + B' or 'L + Start + A + B' depending on which patch you use). Note: If you use the patch which has the reset combo which includes 'L', don't forget to let go of the Soft Reset keys as soon as you press them to avoid bypassing saving. Otherwise turn off, then on to write the save.
    - Fixed In-game sleep (accessed from pause menu).
    - Fixed Auto + Easy Sleep (option accessed from 'SMB3/Original Mario Bros' game selection screen by pressing 'R') (Easy Sleep allows you to enable and disable sleep mode at any time by pressing 'L + R + Select', Auto Sleep when enabled kicks in when when no buttons are pressed for one minute)

The other patches which say 'no voice' are the same apart from they also remove all voices and add the death sound back from the SNES version for both Mario and Luigi (thanks Mangaman3000).

The reason I have included another patch with the reset combo of 'L + Start + A + B' is because it's easier for GBA SP users to press. Another reason is because the 'Select + Start + A + B' combo overwrites the official in-game soft reset built into many GBA games. I also avoided using including 'L + Select' in the combo as some ABG-001 screen mods uses those keys to alter brightness levels.

Doing this has reminded me I need to update any existing patches I've previously posted as I've noticed some new revisions of the microSD EZ IV actually wipe part of the kernel if you hold down 'R' on boot regardless of whether the "ezfla_up.bin" update file is on the microSD or not. So this pretty much renders a soft-reset combo which includes the 'R' button as useless, as it wipes the firmware every time you do a reset. This means owners of the newer revisions have to leave a copy of the kernel on the root of the microSD just in case they accidentally catch 'R' on boot. I intend on doing a thread about the multiple revisions of the new microSD EZ IV and post full dumps for them. I've compiled a new "patch.bin" in python for Kuwanger's sleep/reset prog so it now uses 'L + Start + A + B'. I have attached it below.
    I wouldn't use a DSTwo over an EZ IV for GBA games. I only use my DSTwo in a DSi-XL because of the lack of slot-2. The EZ IV is a great cart if you patch the games properly. Don't forget Kuwanger's prog doesn't work for every game, and sometimes will cause a problem in games that already have an official sleep mode. I tend to try Kuwanger's if the EZ client doesn't work. I believe "Bionicle - Maze of Shadows" is one such game where Kuwanger's prog works perfect, yet the EZ client fails to add a soft reset combo.
    I have perfectly working US versions of "SMA2" and "SMA3"(uses official sleep mode) with soft reset, sleep mode and the snes colour hack applied. I also have a perfectly working US version of "Zelda - The Minish Cap" with soft reset applied and official sleep mode fixed. If you want, I can post patches for them.

Last edited by Gyron, Mar 16, 2017
  5. Ammako
    OP

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Ah well thanks for making this even though I found the problem on my end and made it work :P maybe it will help someone else who may be looking for the same thing at some point though!

Yeah DS2 would be a last resort thing if I wasn't able to get games on EZ4 to behave properly. I have one of the older models but not old enough to have a rechargeable battery, so once the battery may run dry I need to rely on soft-reset-to-menu feature so I don't lose any saves. But it works in the end so it's all good :3

I like A+B+Start+Select because any other key combination I feel like i could potentially accidentally press all at once at some point (unless it was something stupid like hold down almost every button at once lol.)
    So it might as well be A+B+Start+Select, because chances are I won't accidentally press that key combo, and even if I did, it would reset my game back to main menu and I'd lose my progress anyway so it might as well just return me to EZ4 menu. Though I can see how it might be annoying for some games, like in Pokémon if you wanted to reset for shinies or for certain natures/IVs, you'd want to have access to default game soft reset still. Not really an issue for me though.

This thing you mentioned about holding R on boot overwriting parts of the firmware was pretty much exactly why your L+R+Start+Select patch wasn't really going to work for me haha. Well I mean I don't know if that specific problem occurs when I hold R without an ezfla_up.bin present, but I keep mine at the root of my miniSD in case something might go wrong, then it's here ready to flash back by holding R at boot, and I don't really lose it where it is. Except with L+R+Start+Select, it would rewrite the firmware every time I'd reset back to menu :P there isn't even a fraction of a second window where you can let go of R.

You might as well post the other patches you mention having working, I may be interested in US version of Yoshi's Island with working EZ4 reset set to A+B+Start+Select, just for consistency's sake instead of having one random Europe rom out of every other NA ones, and although I don't personally need the other two I think it could help other people at some point if they,d find this thread while searching for something like this.

I think it would be worthwhile to explain how you manage to get those patches working too haha. I mean I'm able to get most working since I figured out I needed to use an older version of EZ4 Client, but I have no idea how you got SMA3 (U) working with the EZ4 soft reset. :P
    Actually, are you patching them with GBATA? I noticed it has an option for applying a soft reset patch but I don't know if that refers to EZ4 soft reset, or simply another key combo for regular game soft reset.

There's a super easy hex editing tutorial out there for fixing the official sleep mode (https://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=GBA_sleep_mode), but I suppose uploading patches somewhere couldn't hurt in case some people aren't at ease with hex editing they can just use a patch.

6. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Yeah, some new microSD EZ IV's wipe the kernel if you press 'R' on boot even without "ezfla_up.bin" in root. In fact, the kernel is still wiped even without a microSD present. Those hex edits at the link you posted are incomplete for SMA3 and SMA4. They are missing the offsets for 'easy + auto sleep' modes. I posted them here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/classic-nes-sleepmode-working-on-ez-flash-iv.433762/
    Here are the patches. I spent two hours messing around in Hex Workshop trying to remember what the hell I'd done a year ago. I'm all patched out. I've posted two sets of patches with a different reset combo (in keeping with the spirit of the thread), 'Select + Start + A + B' and 'L + Start + A + B'.

Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World (US). Patch 'IPS' to a clean 'No-Intro' US rom (crc:5206880A):
    - EZ IV bytes.
    - Eeprom to Sram.
    - Snes colour palette (thanks Asaki)
    - Soft Reset back to EZ IV Menu (Either 'Select + Start + A + B' or 'L + Start + A + B' depending on which patch you use). Note: If you use the patch which has the reset combo which includes 'L', don't forget to let go of the Soft Reset keys as soon as you press them to avoid bypassing saving. Otherwise turn off, then on to write the save.
    - Added in-game 'Sleep Mode' which can be enabled at any time by pressing 'L + R + Start'. To 'Wake Up', press ''Select + Start'.

Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (US). Patch 'IPS' to a clean 'No-Intro' US rom (crc:40A48276):
    - EZ IV bytes.
    - Eeprom to Sram.
    - Snes colour palette (thanks ShadowOne333)
    - Fixed In-game sleep (accessed from pause menu).
    - Fixed Auto + Easy Sleep (option accessed from 'Yoshi's Island/Original Mario Bros' game selection screen by pressing 'R') (Easy Sleep allows you to enable and disable sleep mode at any time by pressing 'L + R + Select', Auto Sleep when enabled kicks in when when no buttons are pressed for one minute)

The other patches which say 'no voice' are the same but also have Voice sample removal and added SNES sound effect restoration (thanks Mangaman3000).

Last edited by Gyron, Mar 16, 2017
  7. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the patches, Gyron.

With Romhacking.net down, would you by chance have the original copy of the Vague Rant's SNES Colour Palette hack for SMA4, and if you do would you mind sharing it also?

8. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    No probs. Just checked, Romhacking is back up.