Hacking Can't get downloaded .3ds files to work on sky3ds+

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, brand new here, this place looks great. I got a Sky3DS+ this week, along with the dock. I have had success copying the physical carts i own onto my SD card and they work on my 3DS no problem. I have the latest firmware and as far as my own rips, it works like a charm. However, I cannot for the life of me get any .3ds file roms to show up in my 3ds. I have tried adding them to the card via a card reader, through the USB to the sky3ds, even tried using their disk writer software (which not only did not work, but rendered my 128gb card unusable aside from a few hundred mbs and was a pain to get it reformatted back to fat32.) I feel like perhaps the issue is related to perhaps the template, which I don't really know what I'm doing, but I did download what I believe the latest, changed the name to template.txt and added to the root of the card, but still no luck. If anyone can offer any help I would be most grateful. I can truy to attach a screenshot of what the root of my card looks like

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my SD card root folder

Attachments

• 3DS Screenshot.jpg
    3DS Screenshot.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 721

Puppydogpals

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are they out of region games. You can only play inregion games with a sky3ds.

Usually if it's a bad dump the sky3ds will change the extension from .3ds to .bad.

I have also had an issue with games not showing up or stuck on a rom and not showing a new one.

To get around this I moved all working roms into a temp folder leaving the ones that don't show up. And try again usually this works and then I move all games.

I now use cfw and used frogminer to do this. It's so much easier for my kids as all games are icons on screen.

But as you just bought it (I bought my sky3ds over a year ago and changed over 2 months back) the above method should work.

Either that use frogminer and sell on the sky3ds to recoup some cash

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the Sky3ds+, but with the old blue button version that I have you have to use the diskwriter (and it's normal that it makes it 'unreadable' to anything else) and the template file is used by diskwriter.

Is the S3ds+ just drag-and-drop?

Puppydogpals

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the Sky3ds+, but with the old blue button version that I have you have to use the diskwriter (and it's normal that it makes it 'unreadable' to anything else) and the template file is used by diskwriter.

Is the S3ds just drag-and-drop?
thecblue single button needs writer

The orange two buttons is drag and drop

Last edited by Puppydogpals,

Puppydogpals

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All you need to do is drop 3ds files on it using a pc.

The sky dock is used for inserting private headers from your own carts. Dump games and saves

You don't need any config files if using the two button sky3ds+

All you need to add is the 3ds files

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I'm looking to keep from modding my actual console, so I'd like to stick w this card. Does it sound like these could be encrypted or decrypted and that is the problem?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to keep from modding my actual console, so I'd like to stick w this card.
Why, exactly? There are no downsides to installing custom firmware, it's much easier to use and you could resell the flashcart for a decent amount of money. You also don't have to deal with things like the disk writer that do weird things to your SD card.

D

Deleted User

You do not just copy the game to the SD. You have to use a special program to format and write the ROM. After formatting it cannot be used for other purposes.

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why, exactly? There are no downsides to installing custom firmware, it's much easier to use and you could resell the flashcart for a decent amount of money. You also don't have to deal with things like the disk writer that do weird things to your SD card.
I'd like to keep my console as is and not nod that, flashcarts are a better option in my opinion. I want plug and play, not a bunch of custom firmware and the like

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to keep my console as is and not nod that, flashcarts are a better option in my opinion. I want plug and play, not a bunch of custom firmware and the like
Your deluding yourself with that. But thats what you believe. Just remember you run a higher risk of ban with forgetting to properly mask each game that you use online.

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do not just copy the game to the SD. You have to use a special program to format and write the ROM. After formatting it cannot be used for other purposes.
As it turns out, it is just drag the files to the sd card with the sky3ds plus, no need for the horrible disk writer program. Seems my problem was I had decrypted roms downloaded, and I needed encrypted .3ds roms. Does anyone here know of any good sites which have encrypted .3ds roms? I have found one that is quite good, but it's not a full rom set.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As it turns out, it is just drag the files to the sd card with the sky3ds plus, no need for the horrible disk writer program. Seems my problem was I had decrypted roms downloaded, and I needed encrypted .3ds roms. Does anyone here know of any good sites which have encrypted .3ds roms? I have found one that is quite good, but it's not a full rom set.
No one will say as its against rules here. Google will be your best friend.

rushfan2112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your deluding yourself with that. But thats what you believe. Just remember you run a higher risk of ban with forgetting to properly mask each game that you use online.
I'm not looking to play I.T. tech with my console, but thanks. Just interested in dropping roms on a card

ShenmueGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I need help with my Sky3ds+ OP. Can I DM you?

I am having the same problem with Paper Mario Sticker Star, won't show up when cycling but everything else shows up

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need help with my Sky3ds+ OP. Can I DM you?

I am having the same problem with Paper Mario Sticker Star, won't show up when cycling but everything else shows up
Are you running cfw? If not, is the .3ds file the correct region?
Games of a different region won't show up unless you're running cfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0