Can't format my memory stick to FAT.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Tortimer, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Tortimer
    OP

Tortimer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2007
    So, I recently bought a 2GB and a 4GB Sandisk UltraII. I can format them in my PSP (not a real formatting, just erasing and putting psp-fodlers there) and use them when I use the PSP as a cardreader. However, I can't read or format it in my computers built in card reader. When I try to format it it just says that "card can't be formatted".

I'm at a wall here. what should I do? (note: I haven't tried to format it through cmd properly since I don't know the appropriate commands. I know you should write "Format F:" where F is the device name but how do I format it to FAT32)

Edit: Now I've tried "Format F:" and "/FS: FAT32" but with no result at all. It says my memory cards are in RAW format and when i enter "/FS: FAT32" it just says that it's an "incorrect syntax, filename or volumelabel". I've also tried using Swiss Knife (V3) but it just crashes when I click on the drive. Anyone with any ideas?

2. solange82200

solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Miami, FL
    Actually, it's best to format anything up to and including 4 gigs to FAT 16. It makes it faster supposedly. follow this, I got it from some guy names altorn from another forum, and it worked for me:

How to format specifying filesystem
    1. Go to Start Menu -> Run...
    2. Type 'cmd' without quotes
    3. At command prompt, type:
    'format x: /q /fs:FAT' (without quotes, this is for FAT16 filesystem)
    (change x to your MS drive)

If asks for a Force Dismount, choose yes.
    If it warns you about compatibility problems on FAT16, just ignore it.
    If it asks for a Volume Label, just type anything or none at all.

3. bobrules

bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 20, 2006
    Canada
    Toronto
    I think it might be your card reader. I formated my 4GB Sandisk UltraII using usb cable to fat 16.

4. Bloodgod

Bloodgod 嵐の王

Mar 25, 2007
    United States
    Whats this, their is such a thing as "Fake" formatting? What an age we live in...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice