1. UncleHeffy

OP UncleHeffy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I used that website to find out which model Wii I have, and it's nowhere to be found. I even googled it to see if I could find it somewhere else, and nothing.

Here it is. LHM50003216.

I bought it on Playasia a long time ago to play some Japanese games. The console is all in Japanese, but the bottom says HKG.

As far as I know, there isn't an HK Wii, and if there is, I can't find it anywhere. And why would the menus be in Japanese?

It's a black wii, too. I'd like to know if this one might have the DVD drive to play backups. Maybe the Asian one is different.

Thanks for the help.

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The model number/region is immediately to the left of the serial number on the sticker. (i.e.: "MODEL NO. RVL-001 (USA)")

It might be Korean.

3. UncleHeffy

Newcomer

United States
    It says Model NO. RVL-001(HKG), which would be Hong Kong.

I can't find this model anywhere online, and I want to find out if it has the right DVD drive.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It's very unlikely it can read burned discs. How did you end up with a HK Wii in the US? IMO, replace it with one from your region.

5. UncleHeffy

Newcomer

United States
    Looked up the serial on here, and nothing comes up. https://www.wiidrives.com/list?v_serial=lhm&v_perpage=100

This is really weird.

I imported it from Playasia to play some Japanese games. I have a US Wii, too, but that doesn't have the right drive.

Just wanted to see if this mystery one I have does.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    There are 4 regions of the Wii OS: Japanese, American, European, and later Korean (3DS did have a "Traditional Chinese" region sold in Taiwan, but that's a complicated story)

However nothing forbids a HK person or company from importing a Japanese console, optionally repacking it with localized manuals (as for the complicated 3DS story, the official Taiwanese model got so few releases and the kanji are written the same, that most HK gamers preferred Japanese models anyway; so did to a lesser extent the other 2 minor regions, China and Korea).
    In fact the official Middle East consoles are rebranded American ones, and Australian ones European (another funny story: early Australian GC games had the European region lock but were based off the American version)

As for your console of unknown origin, it may well be a case swap - use a suitable homebrew to check the "real" serial number and region (which may still have been changed, but at least they will be the ones that matter)!

7. UncleHeffy

Newcomer

United States
    Just softmodded it and it won't play burned DVD-Rs, too.

I really just need to get a big external drive.

Thanks for the help, guys.

8. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    Does your console come with the shop channel and weather/news channels?
    If it does not, then what you have is an official Hong Kong/Taiwan console.
    However, there's not technically a HK/TW region for Wiis.Wiis from Hong Kong and Taiwan run on Japanese system menus and read Japanese-regioned games. All Chinese Wii games are also encoded in Japanese region so they can be played on HK/TW Wiis, as well as original Japanese Wiis.
    The only difference is that the Wiis from Hong Kong & Taiwan do not have the Wii shop channel, forcast channel, and weather channels.
    However the consoles are still compatible with WiiConnect24 and Nintendo Wi-Fi connection (Before the services ended, of course).

One interesting fact is that newer updates from Chinese/Japanese Wii games never install the channels onto a Wii from HK/TW, and shop/forcast/news channel WADs are actually found in update portion of Chinese Wii games.

Last edited by HNKii, Mar 27, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - model,