Hacking Can't do BootMii Recovery with v 0.3

Wiill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks redia but i've fixed it last night just had to put the keys into the nand but its fixed now.
(site was down for me last night too)

I installed boot2 to see if that was the problem when i had it as an IOS but I recovered as Boot2 and went perfectly fine no freezing or anything. Then removed Boot2 and continued using my Boot2 IOS

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Wiill said:
Thanks redia but i've fixed it last night just had to put the keys into the nand but its fixed now.

Wiill,

you had to put the keys in the nand ?
didn't my soft do it ?
did you put both the keys.bin and nand.bin in the application directory before launching it ?

R

Wiill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redia said:
Wiill said:

Wiill,

you had to put the keys in the nand ?
didn't my soft do it ?
did you put both the keys.bin and nand.bin in the application directory before launching it ?

R
Yes, because when i first used the program i put the keys and nand in the folder where the software was then ran it and it said keys weren't valid so after the program ran the keys-fixed.bin did not show up untill i renamed the keys.bin i had in that folder then the log and keys-fixed.bin showed up then it said to put the keys in the nand which i did, then i ran it and it worked! Hope you understand.

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Wiill said:
Yes, because when i first used the program i put the keys and nand in the folder where the software was then ran it and it said keys weren't valid so after the program ran the keys-fixed.bin did not show up untill i renamed the keys.bin i had in that folder then the log and keys-fixed.bin showed up then it said to put the keys in the nand which i did, then i ran it and it worked! Hope you understand.
you got me confused.
it is a one step process.
you put the two files in the same directory as the application
then you run it. it will check the keys.bin..
--- if valid it will include it in the nand.bin.. done.
--- if not valid it will create a keys-fixed.bin and append this one to the nand.bin... done

nothing else needs to be done.

if the keys-fixed.bin file did not appear before you renamed the keys.bin it is due to a problem in refresh of your explorer.

Cheers,
R

Wiill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redia said:
you got me confused.
it is a one step process.
you put the two files in the same directory as the application
then you run it. it will check the keys.bin..
--- if valid it will include it in the nand.bin.. done.
--- if not valid it will create a keys-fixed.bin and append this one to the nand.bin... done

nothing else needs to be done.

if the keys-fixed.bin file did not appear before you renamed the keys.bin it is due to a problem in refresh of your explorer.

Cheers,
R
Well... I put both of them in the folder then I ran the program, it checked the keys.bin and said not valid but it patched it anyways, then it said the nand.bin was available, then i looked for the keys.bin in that same folder and it was nowhere to be found, then i renamed keys-fixed.bin to keys.bin then keys-fixed.bin and the log showed up out of nowhere, so then i went and added the keys to the nand as it says to do in step 4 (i did not check to see if it would recover without me not putting the keys.bin into the nand.bin) so once i put them in it worked perfectly.

Brewaholic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys get this. I just made a recent Nand backup with Beta 3. I immediately ran the simulation to check and the nand file was recognized and said "File is the same as on SD card. Nothing needs to be done. Press any button to exit." I know for fact I'm not using the PPCboot.elf fix. I checked the files of each and checked the sizes. I'm using the original file from the Hackmii 3 installer from the day it was released after I decided to go back to back to Beta 3. I didn't redownload the installer. I check the Installer log to be sure and indeed its Beta 3. There's was no mention of the PPCboot.elf existing already and not being replaced only file it didn't replace was the 'Config.dat' file. I also checked to see if two seperate files were dumped on the SD card root and it was just one whole Nand file like normal. I took the Hex editor to get a detailed look in the file, the 'key.bin' file was fixed to the end like Bootmii backups have always been in previous versions and the Console ID etc. had the proper spaces. Hmm... I'm trying to figure out if it's a small similar bug to the '0' byte bug Beta 2 had when the 'Verify Backup' was attempted to be skipped. I wonder if when the Restoremii simulation is ran immediately or in general after making the backup if it appends the two files on it's own?? If so I'm definately not going to complain.

Wiill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice find, Just tried it out and it works perfectly for me! Just tired it twice to double check and the 2nd time it said the dump was for a different wii again...

(just wondering why my new bootmii version is 1.0-14-yd273, was it because of the new ppcboot.elf?)

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quickrabbit5 said:
Has anyone attempted the latest fix posted here?

http://hackmii.com/2009/08/hackmii-installer-v0-3/

(last post)

Just tried it.Still doesn't work for me.

EDIT :

It does indeed work.

You need to replace the ppcboot and then make a new backup.After this it will allow you to restore it.

If you just replace the ppcboot and try to restore a previous backup made with beta3 it will still say its from another wii.

tony996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have been reading for a while now, i used bootmii keyfix and i was able to restore my nand, no problem. Great work redia----the problem i have is that my wii is bricked and do not have a working nand. I have become an expert (probably still a noob- since i can't get a working nand) at running betwiin and getting a modified nand file. At first i was getting that the nand belonged to a different wii, used key fix, and now i am gettig that boot 1 is different, when i know that it is not. any ideas?? because after weeks of searching and reading i am stuck!

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
tony996 said:
i have been reading for a while now, i used bootmii keyfix and i was able to restore my nand, no problem. Great work redia----the problem i have is that my wii is bricked and do not have a working nand. I have become an expert (probably still a noob- since i can't get a working nand) at running betwiin and getting a modified nand file. At first i was getting that the nand belonged to a different wii, used key fix, and now i am gettig that boot 1 is different, when i know that it is not. any ideas?? because after weeks of searching and reading i am stuck!

look at post 103 for source i guess your getting the boot1 mismatch
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=173...p;#entry2208900

QUOTE(HiBit @ Aug 22 2009, 02:14 PM)

You see my problem?
Yes, bootmii didn't accept the boot1. But it was flashed to the NAND with the infectus, it's the same NAND from where bootmii run on the bricked Wii.
Why it didn't accept things that it already use?

For this problem i have no answer, but i have a solution.
Use the first kilobyte from the NAND dump you get from the bricked Wii and insert(replace) this kilobyte to the fresh converted and unbricked nand.bin

Just make sure the boot1 does actually match for the dump your using, cause if it dont you will brick

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiill said:
(site was down for me last night too)

I installed boot2 to see if that was the problem when i had it as an IOS but I recovered as Boot2 and went perfectly fine no freezing or anything. Then removed Boot2 and continued using my Boot2 IOS

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did you say that you deleted your BootMii boot2 install in favor of an IOS install? If so, you've got absolutely no brick protection here. If you do a NAND restore via BootMii IOS and it fails, you could very likely end up with an irreparable brick. Boot2 install is the only surefire brick protection out there; the only solution that will work if you kill your System Menu/IOS. Why in the world would you get rid of it in favor of an IOS install? I'm lost here... once again, I'm probably misreading.

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never used boot mii until today. Boot Mii worked perfectly for me. I did a backup and then restored my NAND without any problems. I downloaded the newest BootMii public beta 3 and installed it. Right after I installed it as boot 2 and BEFORE I did a backup of my NAND I downloaded the alternative ppcboot.elf mentioned in this thread earlier. You can download it here: http://bootmii.org/snapshots/ppcboot-20090827.zip. I then simply replaced the ppcboot.elf on my sd card with this one. After doing this I preformed a backup and then a restore without any issues. You will not be able to restore a backup if you preform it before replacing the ppcboot.elf. If you do a backup before replacing it you will have to run Redias tool which can fix your backup. You can get it here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=174...t&p=2202622

For me it was just alot easier just to replace the ppcboot.elf before preforming my backup. Hope this was of help to someone.

Wiill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imapterodactyl said:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did you say that you deleted your BootMii boot2 install in favor of an IOS install? If so, you've got absolutely no brick protection here. If you do a NAND restore via BootMii IOS and it fails, you could very likely end up with an irreparable brick. Boot2 install is the only surefire brick protection out there; the only solution that will work if you kill your System Menu/IOS. Why in the world would you get rid of it in favor of an IOS install? I'm lost here... once again, I'm probably misreading.
No, I already had BootMii as an IOS,but I installed BootMii boot2 while I had it as an IOS installed to see weather or not that was the problem,But I did a restore via boot2 not IOS and it restored successfully.

Brewaholic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brewaholic said:
Oh yeah, I also went back to Bootmii Beta2 and it didn't recognize my nand file either so I went back to v 0.3. I used a hex editor. Bootmii froze up in the middle of me restoring my nand after I tweaked the nand file with the hex editor. I waited a few minutes to be sure and had to power my Wii down. Luckily Bootmii was created slick enough to continue from where the restore left off. Damn, I love those guys.
To install Bootmii beta3 I used a nand backup from when I first freshly hacked my Wii on 4.0 cause it had the vunerable IOS' still to run the installer properly and put Beta3 as boot2. Ever since that day now after I ran the restore to get back to the present system nand with current softmods etc. and it froze but I powered down ran it again to complete it my Wii message board now gets spam messages from Nintendo everyday. At first it was messages about 4.1 though I updated using Waninkokos 4.1 firmware. Now with the arrival of the Internet Channel update message I keep getting that whenever I connect online at least once or twice a day. I called Nintendo and they suggested I delete the channel and re-install it. I did delete it and went through the message that was sent to download it and I'm still receiving messages about it. What would be the cause of this?

glasshopper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you to Redia and Blackace. this totally worked!
All I tried to do was install neogamma r5! just another day on the wii. it bricked my wii for some reason. but thanks for the fix program! Got my wii back to normal.
thanks!

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brewaholic said:
Brewaholic said:
Oh yeah, I also went back to Bootmii Beta2 and it didn't recognize my nand file either so I went back to v 0.3. I used a hex editor. Bootmii froze up in the middle of me restoring my nand after I tweaked the nand file with the hex editor. I waited a few minutes to be sure and had to power my Wii down. Luckily Bootmii was created slick enough to continue from where the restore left off. Damn, I love those guys.
To install Bootmii beta3 I used a nand backup from when I first freshly hacked my Wii on 4.0 cause it had the vunerable IOS' still to run the installer properly and put Beta3 as boot2. Ever since that day now after I ran the restore to get back to the present system nand with current softmods etc. and it froze but I powered down ran it again to complete it my Wii message board now gets spam messages from Nintendo everyday. At first it was messages about 4.1 though I updated using Waninkokos 4.1 firmware. Now with the arrival of the Internet Channel update message I keep getting that whenever I connect online at least once or twice a day. I called Nintendo and they suggested I delete the channel and re-install it. I did delete it and went through the message that was sent to download it and I'm still receiving messages about it. What would be the cause of this?

loool, you called Nintendo? You should have come here and asked the pros and get a REAL answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.