Cant Decide! Which one is better?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TeraS, Aug 7, 2007.

Aug 7, 2007
  1. TeraS
    OP

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

I need to buy my little bro a flash cart and i am stuck between a SC-ONE and EZV.

Which 1 is better and why?

2. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
  3. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Those both suck, pretty much. Get a Cyclo-DS Evo or an R4DS. Those are way better carts/

4. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    r4 for everything except gba
    add a 3-in-1 for gba
    http://dsdatabase.org/bestflashcart.html

edit - I just read the CycloDS Evolution firmware v1.2 beta announcement. so:

or MAYBE a CycloDS Evolution

or maybe an M3 Simply .

I have a 3in1, which I use and an m3 perfect, which I do not often use.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    what if he wants a slot 2 card, what is the best one for GBA gaming? I'd almost suggest M3 Perfect for doing both DS and GBA but I'm not sure if it is what is really recommended these days and I have noticed that the M3 is not perfect for GBA compatability.

6. TeraS
    OP

looks like this website got too many r4 fans.

I got a R4 but the features are simple, and i dont think he will like it. He wants something with great features, and great combatility.

i got a 3-1 exp so we will share that.

7. babelfish

Newcomer babelfish Member

United States
    Would you please share what problems you have had with the M3's GBA compatibility?

I have a both a EZ4 Lite and M3 Lite, and the GBA compatibility has been far better on the M3....

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    actually, your quite wrong sir.
    EZ4 lite is perfect for gba except for the NES classics and pokemon(because it has no RTC built in)
    EZ4 deluxe is the best since you dont have to flash 256mbit games to NOR anymore

i have to go with the majority of R4
    but if its just those 2 choices, i would go with SCDSONE, much better than EZV after the new update
    realtime cheats, guides, download play, softreset
    SCDS is up there with the R4 and CycloDS

9. TeraS
    OP

no one actually recognises the SCONE just because it had a bad start to the slot 1 scene.

Also does the supercard run well wit nes classics?

10. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    all slot2 cards have reported problems with nes classics
    i think supercard even more so because of the bad ram the company uses

and did i not mention the SCONE?--->SCDS

11. qwertyasdf

Newcomer qwertyasdf Advanced Member

Canada
    Just get the EzFlash V. Emvee Gaming is giving away free DS Lite screen protector with any Ezflash, so it makes it even better deal: http://www.emvee.ca/

12. babelfish

United States
    Hate to disagree, but it is you that is wrong sir [​IMG]

The fact that games must be patched with the EZ game manager makes them prone to errors, a few of which that I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Advance Wars 2: Support character graphics are garbled during dialog between battles in campaign.
    2) Shining Force: game save isn't properly written to cart, and thus game doesn't save.
    3) Yoshi's Island, Ninja Five-0, Double Dragon, etc. crashes at a white screen unless loaded into NOR, or a hacked firmware must be used.
    4) As you mentioned, no RTC so Pokemon's don't work correctly, while they do on the M3.

However, the M3 only requires games to be SRAM patched so they save, which can be done with multiple programs (I prefer GBATA).

Funny thing is I have never had a single problem with any GBA game on my M3, unless I used the M3 game manger to copy the game to my cart. That's the beauty of being able to run clean, unpatched games -- they run 100% unmodified, thus with no errors.

What's even funnier is that I always hear that the EZ's GBA compatibility is perfect, and that the M3's isn't. However, not one person has been able to point out a single flaw in any GBA game on the M3, yet I am constantly finding glitches and other problems with the EZ4 [​IMG]

BTW, all my ROMs are clean, as I rescan them with each No-Intro DAT release -- so bad dumps aren't to blame [​IMG]

13. UncleChuckle

Newcomer UncleChuckle Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm sorry, but what? I use it all the time (games that have shitty save point features etc...) and have had a problem with precisely one game. (A winter olympics type one. Forget it's name right now.) Everything else has worked fine.

14. babelfish

United States
    Once again I am hearing about problems with PATCHED games and not CLEAN ones. I'm tired of hearing "probably" and "pretty sure", let's actually see some facts for once shall we?

And since when is having options a bad thing? Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you HAVE to. Your statement that the EZ4 is better because it lacks functionality is a little bizarre [​IMG] Although that mentality would explain why so many people still believe that Windows is better than Linux, however that is a topic for another thread [​IMG]

In your guys defense though, I must admit that you are right regarding the game manager / real time saves. For instance, in Megaman Zero if you enter and exit the M3 menu, when you return to the game all sound is gone. I have also noticed that Fire Emblem has minor graphical glitches during the intro when patched with the game manager. The moral of the story: use GBATA to patch your games instead of M3's crappy game manager [​IMG]

BTW, I realize the latter two EZ4 problems I mentioned are easily fixed, but I have yet to find a fix for the Advance Wars 2 and Shining Force ones; any chance you know them? [​IMG]

15. babelfish

United States
    Oops, double post. Move along, nothing to see here.....

16. babelfish

United States
    Yeah, I agree, the M3 game manager blows shite coated monkey nuts. I tried using it once and that was all I needed to realize how bad it's compatibility is. You should try GBATA (http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm), it's actually very easy to use, although it does have more options than the M3 game manager. Just ignore the extras and check out the SRAM Patch and Trim ROM tabs.

No worries about Advance Wars 2, thanks for taking the time to look. I haven't seen anything about it posted on sosuke's forum either, and yes, I'm using the 07/07/2007 game manager w/ the latest hacked loader. Double thanks for the Shining Force tip, I'll try loading it up into NOR when I get off work in a hour [​IMG]

17. babelfish

United States
    So I went home last night and tested using clean ROMs on my EZ4 Lite, as I haven't tried doing so in a while and thought I'd try out the latest loader. All ROMs are from a clean set, scanned with the latest No-Intro DAT (v20070804). GBATA was used only to SRAM patch, no trimming or other patching was done. Here's what happened:

1) Took 1 game of save type SRAM_F_V102, Fire Emblem (U), which did not need to be patched
    2) Took 1 game of save type FLASH_V126, Advance Wars 2 (U), and SRAM patched it
    3) Directly copied both games onto my microSD, replacing the working ones already there
    4) Played both, and of course, neither saved -- in fact, nothing was even found in SRAM to write to the cart!
    5) Copied back the originals, which were previously patched by the EZ4 client, and they saved properly again

Conclusion: games MUST be patched with the EZ4 client for them to save properly.

Note that I have an original EZ4 Lite, and not the deluxe. If anyone with a deluxe wants to try and post their results that would be helpful.

As for the G6 Lite, I dunno much about those since I never picked one up. It won't hurt to try though, just make sure to post your results [​IMG]

18. babelfish

United States
    No worries, funny thing is I actually enjoy doing stuff like this [​IMG]

To answer your question, both games and their corresponding save files were already on my cart and working before I did the test. All I did was replace the working ROMs with the clean ones, and left the existing saves alone. They loaded up exactly where I had left off, but didn't save what I played -- which is a good thing cause my dodgey strategy got me killed in Fire Emblem [​IMG]

FYI, the Shining Force trick you mentioned worked. However, after the game was loaded into NOR it HAD to be run from the NDS loader, cause if I launched it from the GBA loader it still wouldn't save. So basically it looks like you must have a passme or a flashed DS to enjoy 100% GBA compatibility on the EZ4 [​IMG]

19. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    G6DS Real for the ease of use or a CycloDS Evo.

20. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    EZ4 client is excellent i say, since it rarely ever requires any tweaking of opitions before patching.

it just patches and trims (which is great too).