Hacking Can't boot to Homebrew Launcher after following guide on A9LH?!

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Any help here please? I'm REALLY confused.

I followed the A9LH guide .. installed menuhax, could boot into HBL no problem. After following the steps after that, preparing all the files for A9LH on the SD card etc .. I can't boot to HBL anymore. Holding down on d-pad does nothing?!

I can still access HBL from browser of course but I have a feeling you need to be able to boot into it directly .. so wtf?!

This literally makes no sense considering I just installed A9LH + Luma on my friend's DS, and had no problems whatsoever. His was N3DS, mine is N3DS XL but I don't see how that could be relevant?

I don't know what to do .. :(

The guide just says "Boot into HBL from your preferred entrypoint" but I don't know what that means .. Can I still install A9LH even if I can't access HBL from boot? IF I can, what was the point to even install HBL?

Last edited by Distrance,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you followed the A9LH guide, you'd be booting into the HBL through the app installed to your Home Menu. :/

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have A9LH, you should no longer bother with menuhax. Use the Homebrew Launcher CIA.

Booting into the Homebrew Menu on boot is something you really only need if you don't have A9LH because your CFW relies on that. If you have A9LH, you are always in a CFW environment.

e: If you are still following the guide (i.e. not done yet) then browserhax is fine.

Last edited by Cuphat,

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you have A9LH, you should no longer bother with menuhax. Use the Homebrew Launcher CIA.

Booting into the Homebrew Menu on boot is something you really only need if you don't have A9LH because your CFW relies on that. If you have A9LH, you are always in a CFW environment.

e: If you are still following the guide (i.e. not done yet) then browserhax is fine.

Okay so to clarify:

I'm following the guide. I have Gateway, (well, had.. I formatted the SD card) but I want to use A9LH instead. I'm in the "Installing arm9loaderhax" step, in which you prep your SD card with all of the files. Now, prior to this, you would use menuhax to install the HBL thing so you can boot into HBL while holding down the d-pad. And I did that. And it worked. After replacing the files on the SD card as per to the guide, it no longer boots to the HBL when doing that. The guide also tells you to delete the 000098 folder in the extdata folder, and when I boot the 3DS that folder is re-created because I can't boot into HBL .. so I figured I need to be able to boot into it?

I'm really just confused overall. What was the point to install menuhax if I can use browser anyway?

So please do clarify if it really is fine to keep using the browser to install SafeA9LH? What gets me is the part where I start the 3DS it creates the folder again that I just deleted as per the instructions ..

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so to clarify:

I'm following the guide. I have Gateway, (well, had.. I formatted the SD card) but I want to use A9LH instead. I'm in the "Installing arm9loaderhax" step, in which you prep your SD card with all of the files. Now, prior to this, you would use menuhax to install the HBL thing so you can boot into HBL while holding down the d-pad. And I did that. And it worked. After replacing the files on the SD card as per to the guide, it no longer boots to the HBL when doing that. The guide also tells you to delete the 000098 folder in the extdata folder, and when I boot the 3DS that folder is re-created because I can't boot into HBL .. so I figured I need to be able to boot into it?

I'm really just confused overall. What was the point to install menuhax if I can use browser anyway?

So please do clarify if it really is fine to keep using the browser to install SafeA9LH? What gets me is the part where I start the 3DS it creates the folder again that I just deleted as per the instructions ..

Try going into browserhax again and reinstalling menuhax, it's pretty buggy. Then you can take your sd card out while in the HBL and delete the folder, then plug the sd back in while still in HBL, then continue on with the guide.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The guide just says "Boot into HBL from your preferred entrypoint" but I don't know what that means ..
It means use whatever method of loading the HBL you like, including the browser. Continue on with the guide, and come back if you get stuck.

The guide also tells you to delete the 000098 folder in the extdata folder
Deleting this folder removes menuhax.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try going into browserhax again and reinstalling menuhax, it's pretty buggy. Then you can take your sd card out while in the HBL and delete the folder, then plug the sd back in while still in HBL, then continue on with the guide.

Better yet, just continue the guide using browserhax. Browserhax is fine.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It means use whatever method of loading the HBL you like, including the browser. Continue on with the guide, and come back if you get stuck.

Deleting this folder removes menuhax.

That's what I thought, but that's also what the guide tells you to do .. why does it do that? It literally says
Clear Home Menu’s extdata by navigating to the following folder on your SD card: /Nintendo 3DS/(32 Character ID)/(32 Character ID)/extdata/00000000/
... So I ask again, what was the point to even mess with the menuhax to begin with, if I delete the menuhax in the next step?

Updating my N3DS now with System Update btw - thanks for the help. I hope everything went okay or I'm f'd ..

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought, but that's also what the guide tells you to do .. why does it do that? It literally says ... So I ask again, what was the point to even mess with the menuhax to begin with, if I delete the menuhax in the next step?

Updating my N3DS now with System Update btw - thanks for the help. I hope everything went okay or I'm f'd ..
You mess with it because browserhax is very picky and menuhax is more reliable. If you used the no browser method for the Homebrew Launcher, you shouldn't even have to mess with menuhax.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You mess with it because browserhax is very picky and menuhax is more reliable. If you used the no browser method for the Homebrew Launcher, you shouldn't even have to mess with menuhax.

But you literally delete the menuhax in the next step so I still don't get it .. :x

Also I used the browser method .. My knowledge is very limited so I was just going by what the guide told me - and when things happened that shouldn't have, I got confused. Sorry for the trouble guys. Got A9LH+Luma installed now and everything's running smooth :)

Thank you all for helping.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought, but that's also what the guide tells you to do .. why does it do that? It literally says ... So I ask again, what was the point to even mess with the menuhax to begin with, if I delete the menuhax in the next step?

Where in the guide does it have you mess with menuhax? I just went through it a few days ago and didn't see it mentioned.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Where in the guide does it have you mess with menuhax? I just went through it a few days ago and didn't see it mentioned.

https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(browser)

After going through the Get Started, you start by accessing HBL. And on Section V, you're told to install menuhax. Then after doing that, it tells you to proceed into installing arm9loaderhax. And in that page, it tells you to delete the extdata folder .. essentially completely invalidating what you just did with menuhax ..

Am I just dumb and not getting something here?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(browser)

After going through the Get Started, you start by accessing HBL. And on Section V, you're told to install menuhax. Then after doing that, it tells you to proceed into installing arm9loaderhax. And in that page, it tells you to delete the extdata folder .. essentially completely invalidating what you just did with menuhax ..

Am I just dumb and not getting something here?

Ah, menuhax on something above 9.2. It's because starting at 9.9.0 you have to do annoying version check bypass methods to use browserhax. Installing menuhax at that point gets you a stable entrypoint so you don't have to potentially bypass the version check multiple times before you are able to downgrade to 9.2.

Once you are on 9.2, your currently installed menuhax will no longer work (as it is using a payload that doesn't work on 9.2). On 9.2 though, there is no version check on the browser so browserhax becomes reliable.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have to admit that I'm still not sure why I had to install it to begin with lol .. I was on 9.0.0.20-E btw.

But ehh .. whatever. It works now so who cares right? Thanks again to everyone who replied :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over