Can't add 4gb .3ds file to micro sd card even though I have over 10gb free.....

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by susanoomon, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If it's under 4GB, it should work.

2. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway
    I don't know what to tell you. It's under 4GB, and it doesn't work. :/

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I don't know what to tell you either, aside from recommending that you backup all of the files on your SD card and reformat it properly. How did you format it as FAT32?

4. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway
    I just used disc utility on my mac. I checked my old sd card, and it's fat32 as well, but it never had this problem. I've even installed ultra moon on it. Guess I'll have to redo it...

5. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    my thought on that perhaps a fake card? what brand is it where did you buy it?

6. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    The card needs to be in FAT32 format + 32 KB cluster size + MBR disk + Primary partition. Don't know enough about native Mac OS disk utilities. If you do not have Windows boot camp, you might be able to use guiformat or MiniTool Partition Wizard (free) through WINE.

After the card's reformatted, full Write + Verify with it still empty with F3X before using.

Lacius and Quantumcat like this.
  7. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway
    Tried to reformat it with guiformat 32kb, didn't get an option for MBR or primary partition. Minitool won't open through wine, it just runs the installer and disappears one me :P
    Currently running F3X.
    I have filled the card up with over 60GB worth of video earlier, so Im certain that size is not the issue.

Tried copying the .cia over before running F3X, and no dice. Might it be the MBR and primary partition thing?

8. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    If' it's a standard SD card, ensure the slide switch is not set to the LOCK position / read-only mode. Try reviving the card with SD Memory Card Reformatter (Mac version is available). If that program doesn't fix the card in allowing you to add files, that means it has failed and internally locked itself in read-only mode as a last ditch attempt to protect whatever data that's on it. This latter type of failure requires replacing the card.

When hardware testing with F3X, you're not suppose to add data. The test has to be done on an empty card for clean scan results. If that software doesn't work, you should be able to substitute this with H2testw + WINE.

Lacius and Quantumcat like this.
  9. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway
    SD Memory Card Reformatter didnt give me any options, it automatically reformatted as exfat.
    While exfat, the card (sandisk micro sdxc 64gb) had no problem copying over the .cia file.
    I've reformatted to fat32 32kb, MBR, primary partition via MiniTool PW. F3X also confirms that there's nothing wrong with the card.
    After reformatting, the error's back. File's too big for volume's format.

Print screen 1 - The .cia file that's giving me trouble
    Print screen 2 - SD Memory Card Reformatters handywork - I've since reformatted as fat32

Attached Files:

10. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Did you test it with f3x while the card was empty? You can also use GodMode9 to format the card. See https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage (format card with no emuNAND). Back up your data first as everything on it will be erased.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 21, 2019
  11. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway
    Yep. Took a while, but it said everythings fine

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  13. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @TwinChief, are you by any chance using an older version of OSX? I think I remember reading about the Mac's file manager having a bug where it's derpy with handling storage devices formatted in FAT32. I can't remember whichever majestic cat release it may have been found in.

You can try USB booting Linux and check if the CIA can be written to the card on that desktop environment and as a means to test if the problem is operating system related.

14. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway

I reformatted using godmode9, and it's still the same. I even tried a smaller file (3.22gb) - nope! On the bright side, I've got a really well formatted sc card all ready to go for all those pesky small size files I've got laying around...
    Boop might work. Seems like a roundabout solution for a problem I can't fathom that I have in the first place :/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I LOVE YOU!

Attached Files:

Lacius and TurdPooCharger like this.
  15. TwinChief

TwinChief Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2017
    Norway

Edit: For the record, a program called Commander One fixed it instantly. Free for 15 days.

Last edited by TwinChief, Jun 21, 2019
  16. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jun 21, 2019
  17. TiredLink

TiredLink Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Make sure you don't have any cache

18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Silly question, but is there a way to split the 3DS file, like with the Wii ISO images (how they split WBFS images into two files if the game is < 4 GB)?

19. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Are you trying to convert a 4 GB 3DS rom into CIA with GodMode9? A way around this is to either trim the size with NDSTokyoTrim or convert the rom on desktop using 3dsconv [1] or 3DS Simple CIA Converter.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No idea, I'm just trying to figure out a way to help the OP. I know on Wii hacking it's feasible, not sure if CIA files can be split, but since SD cards have to be FAT32, yeah, it's a downside.