Can't access WiiKey config settings?! (PAL)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by monnick, Mar 13, 2008.

Mar 13, 2008
  1. monnick
    OP

Newcomer monnick Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Today I got my copy of SSB:B from a friend. On his Wii my copy works fine, he has exactely the same configuration as I have: Wiikey 1.9b, PAL, 3.2E, 60Hz non-widescreen. On my Wii the game boots, but every time I try to load a stage I get this "Unable to read disc" error. Movies etc. works fine but everytime I load a stage: "disc error". Does this mean I have a bad laser?

I tested all this at 1.9g (currently I have 1.9b again) and my idea was to boot the 1.3 config disc and set the DriveSpeed to 3x instead of 6x. So I burned the 1.3 configdisc at a Maxell DVD-RW at speed 2.4x. It worked fine and I set my drivespeed to 3x. After some testing I figured out that SSBB still won't load a stage. So I decided to set my DriveSpeed back to 6x, but now the problem showed up. I wasn't able to load 1.3 anymore (same disc), everytime I get this black screen with "can't read disc, press eject and restart console". Desperate I was I burned the 1.3 disc again, but still the same error.....

After some reading I decided to downgrade to 1.9b instead of 1.9g, and so I did, everything went fine. Then I burned configdisc 1.3 on my DVD-RW again but still the same error. I also tried the 4.5 Gb ISO of configdisc 1.2 but this one also won't boot.
    And I tried the recovery disc 1.9b, but this wouldn't help either. [​IMG]

So my main problem is that I want to acces the config settings, primaraly to set my drivespeed to 6x and also to enable RegionOverride, because this is off. Can someone give me a clue how to fix this annoying problem? [​IMG]

For further information here a list of all games I tried:

Works: All PAL games (orginal and copies) except for Super Mario Galaxy (gives 001 error)
    Works: MultiBoot GC games and a rom with 2600 SNES/NES Roms
    Does NOT Work: my 2 NTSC games, both TruchaSigned: No More Heroes and Manhunt 2

Ps. I had a hard time finding information since all the information is spread all over different boards/communities. And finding the Wiikey discs was also hard.... [​IMG]

2. monnick
    OP

Netherlands
    Since RegionOverride is currently OFF in the WiiKey config I would like to make the setupdisc 1.3 region free. But RegionFrii cant make it region free since it is not an Wii ISO (I Guess a GC one). What tool can I use to check and modify the region of this SetupDisc ISO?

3. monnick
    OP

Netherlands
    I don't know the reason but when reading some more on the internet about this problem I discovered a couple of more people couldn't suddenly boot the WiiKey SetupDisc 1.3 (which results in a black error screen with "could not read disc.....").

A working solution for this problem is to download GC MultiGame ISO Creator and load the bootdisc with this program and create a GC multidisc. I don't know why, but this solution works for me! (You'll need a GC controller for this)

4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    nobody's gonna read this in the wii hardware forum dude

5. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    try afterdawns forum

6. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Frimware 3.0 and 3.1 blacklists the 1.3 config dics.

Use a hacked 1.2 config dics which would ask you for the 1.2 config disc when started just pop in the 1.3 config dics and there you go.

Or do it gcos style.