Zorua

I'm not a furry.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1IQb8
If you visited the Ubuntu home page early this morning, you couldn’t have missed the countdown timer that promised something, “So close, you can almost touch it.” Most assumed it to be about a fully touch-optimized UI for the next version of the popular Linux distribution, but it turned out to be something even more significant. In an announcement earlier today, Canonical unveiled Ubuntu for phones, a fully working Ubuntu distribution meant for existing and future mobile handsets. If you are thinking “Wait, wasn’t Ubuntu for Android already announced last year,” you aren’t alone. Upon first hearing the news, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. However, this is a whole different project with a much more ambitious aim and broader scope. While Ubuntu for Android was built to run in tandem with Google’s mobile OS to offer a full Ubuntu desktop experience only when docked, Ubuntu for phones is a complete OS in and of itself, entirely independent of Android.

arrow.gif
Source (XDA)
arrow.gif
Ubuntu For Phones

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing is does anyone actually care about Ubuntu? I don't know about anyone else but I stopped bothering with Ubuntu after it forced that UI change. I can understand if they wanted to make it for tablets and stuff and get into that particular market but why did they have to force desktop users to use a simplified UI that has no stinkin business on a desktop? Why is it even installed anyways? I don't know anyone who says "Gee whiz I sure wish I had a pretty, simplified, touch UI on a desktop" *ahem* *cough*

I know that's off topic but I just don't see it appealing to anyone. Android already alone does so much and people who actually like Ubuntu still are probably the only ones going to bother.

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, I think it looks beautiful. Ubuntu for desktops is an entirely different affair, and if you've seen the video, even this early build seems very snappy and functional, something that I'd gladly replace or use with Android, should it have comparable app support. Anyway, to each his own I guess.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only thing is does anyone actually care about Ubuntu? I don't know about anyone else but I stopped bothering with Ubuntu after it forced that UI change. I can understood if they wanted to make it for tablets and stuff and get into that particular market but why did they have to force desktop users to use a simplified UI that has no stinkin business on a desktop? Why is it even installed anyways? I don't know anyone who says "Gee whiz I sure wish I had a pretty, simplified, touch UI on a desktop" *ahem* *cough*

I know that's off topic but I just don't see it appealing to anyone. Android already alone does so much and people who actually like Ubuntu still are probably the only ones going to bother.

Well... The new UI is not as bad as it looks. Of course, at first it was very unstable and full of bugs. But in the 12.04 version most of these issues were resolved.

By the way, have you even watched the video? The concept and UI of Ubuntu Phone seems quite good. It really got me impressed, since it adresses issues with different approachs than iOS/Android/WPhone and in a very clever way too.

The smartphone industry is fairly recent, there is still a chance to join this market, many companies are trying. Microsoft with the Windows Phone, Linux Foundation with Tizen, Mozilla with Firefox OS, Samsung with Bada. If Canonical do a good job, it could make some success and help popularize Ubuntu's desktop version.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want this. I really don't prefer IOS over Android or vice versa, but I really like Ubuntu, from what little I've used of it. I'd replace Android on my phone for this

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I watched that video and don't get me wrong I'm not saying its awful. Actually I think Ubuntu makes a nice UI for tablets and mobile devices. What I'm saying though is would anyone actually care? Until recently everyone was using apple's iOS and then a surge of android devices hit the market and many people are switching to that. Hardly anyone knows about Ubuntu or Canonical or even Linux. Would it actually appeal to anyone other than those that already know about Canonical and use Ubuntu? I'm sorry if it sounded like I was attacking the idea(just that desktop ui).

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm very interested in the development and business applications this unified setup is hinting at. I'm currently using mint but I might give this a shot. I only have two concerns though

if this became popular, wouldn't it become a hackers paradise? I mean getting into one device could mean having access to everything that person owns.

If said thing happened would we have to start paying for ubuntu both for development fees and anti-malware protection due to their resources being spread too thin?

the main appeal of linux for me is that it is a free OS that handles my everyday needs (save for gaming of course) having a freemium or paid version would deter my wanting of it. I also hate touch only phones so I can't utilize this ubuntu platforms true potential.

still slick as shirt though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As if phones don't already have enough battery issues?

On a more serious note this could allow desktop apps that run in interpreted environments (E.G. Java) to run if the interpreter/compiler can be ported, and those apps that are compiled but for x86 can be recompiled for mobile Ubuntu (or whatever they call it), which means the possibility of desktop apps on the go... and I mean actual desktop apps, none of this "Firefox Android" or "X Portable" junk.

if this became popular, wouldn't it become a hackers paradise? I mean getting into one device could mean having access to everything that person owns.
If possible with Ubuntu, why not possible with Android? Android is built on Linux too, in fact if you go to the system properties on a phone/tablet you can even see which kernel your ROM is using (generally the 2.6 branch for older standards, 3.x for ICS and above). In addition security issues for Android are being spread around... it's just people tend to use these security issues to flash the su binary (A.K.A. "root" the device) instead of anything damaging.

If said thing happened would we have to start paying for ubuntu both for development fees and anti-malware protection due to their resources being spread too thin?
Why? We don't do it as it is, and android is available without payment as well already (a modern interpretation of "open-source" and all that jazz).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ubuntu? Great, just what we needed, more Canon(ical)-fodder.
Boo! That was bad! *throws tomatoes*

Ahem.

This will mean recompiled Ubuntu stuff = 99% more interesting (and probably unoptimized) software on Smartphones than we've ever seen till now.

I do for one welcome our Ubuntu overlords.

...Who am I fooling, you can't beat Google :( This will just turn into the next Maemo.

Reactions: Gahars

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for this! I don't like mobile operating systems. They're only good if you want to shop on ebay, play angry birds, and upload a photo of your lunch to facebook. I need something more flexible. That I can dock and type a document, something with real inputs unlike apple devices, something that people who do real things can use. I'm sick of apple and google herding me in a direction I don't care to go, removing everything useful from their devices, and trying to force me into using their shitty services. I hope Ubuntu means tablets and phones will be more useful and more computer like

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well...

Ok this is greatly deceiving. I have been waiting for this to be released for over a year. I don't want an announcement I want a release. You can already install ubuntu on phones but its is slow and just worthless. Canonical is missing the boat.

Also we need some kind of (cheap?)docking like in the first video (from 2011) or else I'd rather use Android all the way.

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...

Ok this is greatly deceiving. I have been waiting for this to be released for over a year. I don't want an announcement I want a release. You can already install ubuntu on phones but its is slow and just worthless. Canonical is missing the boat.

Also we need some kind of (cheap?)docking like in the first video (from 2011) or else I'd rather use Android all the way.
If only you had bothered with reading the full quote....

If you are thinking “Wait, wasn’t Ubuntu for Android already announced last year,” you aren’t alone. Upon first hearing the news, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. However, this is a whole different project with a much more ambitious aim and broader scope.

This is a completely independent OS, like iOS and Android and does not run over Android.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mark Shuttleworth is a genius and a visionary.
This is really impressive. It looks like they joined the best thing of mobile os and united it on a simple and amazing system.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'd rather install Debian ARM. Last Ubuntu on my desktop was 10.10.

But it's good we get more choices, I'm tired of Android and it's limitations.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As if phones don't already have enough battery issues?

On a more serious note this could allow desktop apps that run in interpreted environments (E.G. Java) to run if the interpreter/compiler can be ported, and those apps that are compiled but for x86 can be recompiled for mobile Ubuntu (or whatever they call it), which means the possibility of desktop apps on the go... and I mean actual desktop apps, none of this "Firefox Android" or "X Portable" junk.

If possible with Ubuntu, why not possible with Android? Android is built on Linux too, in fact if you go to the system properties on a phone/tablet you can even see which kernel your ROM is using (generally the 2.6 branch for older standards, 3.x for ICS and above). In addition security issues for Android are being spread around... it's just people tend to use these security issues to flash the su binary (A.K.A. "root" the device) instead of anything damaging.

Why? We don't do it as it is, and android is available without payment as well already (a modern interpretation of "open-source" and all that jazz).

yeah but who has an android pc/tv/smartphone/laptop all linked to a server or home network? your entire life can be tethered with you wherever you go. Who is to stop someone from mugging you, taking your cellphone, and accessing your files from your home computer if it's tethered to the network or if all those files are already floating around inside your web browser and the cloud? Who's to stop a guy from having ubuntu like you in an apartment complex with access to your network from tethering himself to your cellphone and leaching off your talk and data plans for his own rooted phone? The list of potentials is larger and yes mostly depend on user stupidity but it is entirely possible if ubuntu becomes popular enough for it to become the OS to hack to mess up peoples lives for their gain. having this open source is only fuel for the fire.

I know this is very "the sky is falling" mentality and it's chances of happening or not as big as I am painting it but then again I was stating the possibillity of this turning ubuntu from open source linux to something closed and independent in order to make it a profitable business and protect user data. If ubuntu becomes popular enough for my mentality to be a potential reality you know this man is gonna make ubuntu into a low cost alternative to windows/osx venture for "our protection."

Still think it's a cool idea though. Heck blackberry has been dabbling in this and hinting at it's potential uses with playbook and phone compatibility. Ubuntu has a good idea; just needs more ironing and future proofing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I watched that video and don't get me wrong I'm not saying its awful. Actually I think Ubuntu makes a nice UI for tablets and mobile devices. What I'm saying though is would anyone actually care? Until recently everyone was using apple's iOS and then a surge of android devices hit the market and many people are switching to that. Hardly anyone knows about Ubuntu or Canonical or even Linux. Would it actually appeal to anyone other than those that already know about Canonical and use Ubuntu? I'm sorry if it sounded like I was attacking the idea(just that desktop ui).

On until recently- granted it has been a few years now but it might be best to see just how backwards the mobile phone world was in North America until recently. To that end everybody when there were already attempts to make such an OS (others have taken a few- HP also gave it a punt with webOS and there was also Nokia and blackberry going for the "you can develop stuff" route)

Personally the quote of choice I read recently was "android is linux somewhere under all that java" which pretty much sums the situation up for me, if someone wants to give me something closer to a fully fledged phone then I will probably still not get a mobile phone but it would be a step in the right direction. I would agree though that it would take some effort to make people aware though I would be surprised if they can not chat up HTC at least.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
yeah but who has an android pc/tv/smartphone/laptop all linked to a server or home network?
I know lots of people that use their home wifi when at home since it's faster then their cellular reception.

Who is to stop someone from mugging you, taking your cellphone, and accessing your files from your home computer if it's tethered to the network
Well you generally need to be inside your home, so if that does happen you have worse problems...

or if all those files are already floating around inside your web browser and the cloud?
Again, what's the difference? You can use google drive, teamvier, dropbox, etc, on android already.

Who's to stop a guy from having ubuntu like you in an apartment complex with access to your network from tethering himself to your cellphone and leaching off your talk and data plans for his own rooted phone?
Tethering is done either from a cable (in which case they're not getting access), or wifi, and wifi is WPA2 by default from what I've seen. If the person can hack WPA2, then you have bigger problems than your cell phone, as they can sniff your home network traffic as it is if you're using WPA2.

And again, what does Ubuntu have to do with it? I can tether via bluetooth from my tablet to a cell, both systems running Android.

The list of potentials is larger and yes mostly depend on user stupidity but it is entirely possible if ubuntu becomes popular enough for it to become the OS to hack to mess up peoples lives for their gain. having this open source is only fuel for the fire.
Are you even paying attention? Android is Linux and is open-source too! I already said that. Also Android already IS on most devices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1