Cannot write cIOS or IOS files

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by materiagirl, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010
  1. materiagirl
    OP

Newcomer materiagirl Newbie

Australia
    Hi there,

My best friend has kindly set up my Wii for me to be able to use Homebrew channels.

One of these has been the USBLoader. This has been working without a hitch until today where it returned an error saying it couldn't find cIOS 222 or 223.

I tried to reinstall both files but all the installers I've used have crashed whenever they've tried writing to the Wii.

I've used AnyTitleDeleter to browse through the cIOS files on my Wii and, lo and behold, all the relevant cIOS files are present.

tl;dr I don't think my Wii is allowing any Homebrew program to write to its NAND. Could this be due to a Stub file? Could anyone recommend a Stub removal program?

Many thanks

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm..."the USBloader" is a bit vague, as there are more than one out there (USB loder CFG, uLoader and USB Loader GX are the most commonly used ones). And you say you used it fine until today. Did you update either the loader or the wii system menu recently?

I don't quite get this part:
    It obviously depends on the homebrew program, but they usually don't write things to the NAND (=the wii's internal hard disk). They work from either the SD card or the USB loader, and also save their configuration to it. Of course they depend on certain IOS'es or cIOS'es which are stored on the wii. And yes: if they are stubs (=placeholders...the IOS, but without any programming code), the programs depending on it won't work well.

Any title deleter can delete most/all ioses, so if it happens to be a stub, it'll be removed too (you can safely uninstall 222 and 223, and reinstall those afterwards). I prefer Dop-mii though. That'll give more info about the cIOS'es...among which whether they're stubs or not.

3. materiagirl
    OP

Australia
    OK, thanks to DOP-Mii, I can confirm that the following files are STUB:

IOS4
    IOS10
    IOS16
    IOS40
    IOS222
    IOS223
    IOS249
    IOS250
    IOS254

So, sadly, I've been STUB'd [​IMG]

I have 2 questions now:

What causes Wiis to be STUB'd? Some things I had done recently were run Wii Fit Plus from disc, access online channels such as News Channel, Weather Channel and Wii Shop Channel (as well as enable WiiConnect24). I thought these were relatively safe until Nintendo pushed out an update?

Is there any easy way to reinstall non-STUB versions of these files? I'm hoping I don't harrass my mate with having to do everything from scratch ._.;;

ETA: Wever, thanks for your help - apologies about the ambiguity:

The USBLoader is USB Loader CFG.

I did update the loader some time ago, but it was working just fine until today. I have not touched the Wii System Menu's updaters at all.

DOP-Mii has given me a lot of information. Apparently there is a STUB removal tool on it, but I cannot find it. Any ideas on this?

Cheers [​IMG]

Thanks all!

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Wow...that's fast work! [​IMG]

Disc updates can cause stubbing, depending on which IOS updates it contains (I dunno what wii fit plus contains, but it's certainly a possibility). Wiiconnect24 should be okay, though it tends to nag about firmware updates (which certainly cause stubs since 4.2 came along).

The stub removal part of bootmii is described in the link from my last post. Also: keep in mind that not all stubs are bad. AFAIK, those under 200 don't really matter. If you delete the 222, 223, 249 and 250, and reinstall these, things are fine too. [​IMG]

Installing instructions for 249/250 can be found here. (note: rev17 isn't the latest version...but best one for compatibility)

Installing instructions for 222/223: linky.

And when in doubt...just harass that friend of yours. This sort of thing isn't a minor detail.

5. materiagirl
    OP

Australia
    Just want to reply with a follow up post. My friend did successfully repatch my Wii, but it was odd that the latest version of CFGUSBLoader still didn't work - had to roll back to v44 :S Very odd. Thanks for your help!