Cannot Use Chinese Characters in Location?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by CarbonX13, Jan 27, 2011.

1. CarbonX13
    OP

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Aug 27, 2010
    Taiwan
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I was going to change my location today, and I typed it in Chinese (Traditional) characters. It wouldn't let me change it, because I 'exceeded the character limit' or whatever. My location consisted of four Chinese characters, and the 'check limit' button reported 4 as well. Is this a known glitch? [​IMG]

2. Xarsah16

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    Some characters work, other's don't. I am a Japanese student, and three Katakana characters work and two Chinese characters work (seperate tests) but it is weird. I think it depends on what you want to type in.

For instance, I could write "Blackthorne City, Johto" in my location, but I can't write フスベシティ, just フスベ.

3. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Well, it might have to do with the fact that Chinese Characters (and probably S-JIS too) use 2-bytes instead of just one, so the maximum lenght actually will get down to half.

Just an hypothesis, though.

4. CarbonX13
    OP

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Aug 27, 2010
    Taiwan
    Vancouver, B.C.
    But either way, that'd mean the 4 Chinese characters would take up eight spaces, and I'm sure the location limit is set at 20-ish...