Cannot Use Chinese Characters in Location?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by CarbonX13, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011
  1. CarbonX13
    OP

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I was going to change my location today, and I typed it in Chinese (Traditional) characters. It wouldn't let me change it, because I 'exceeded the character limit' or whatever. My location consisted of four Chinese characters, and the 'check limit' button reported 4 as well. Is this a known glitch? [​IMG]

2. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Some characters work, other's don't. I am a Japanese student, and three Katakana characters work and two Chinese characters work (seperate tests) but it is weird. I think it depends on what you want to type in.

For instance, I could write "Blackthorne City, Johto" in my location, but I can't write フスベシティ, just フスベ.

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, it might have to do with the fact that Chinese Characters (and probably S-JIS too) use 2-bytes instead of just one, so the maximum lenght actually will get down to half.

Just an hypothesis, though.

4. CarbonX13
    OP

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    But either way, that'd mean the 4 Chinese characters would take up eight spaces, and I'm sure the location limit is set at 20-ish...