cannot read disk error

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by spirited, Nov 16, 2007.

Nov 16, 2007

cannot read disk error by spirited at 6:13 AM (1,321 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. spirited
    OP

Newcomer spirited Advanced Member

United States
    Hey guys, i've tried searching but none of the topics seem to answer my question. I have a second gen wii with a wiikey installed and before i used to just get DRE so i figured it was my burner. These DREs were random but rare and i would still be able to play the games.
    I just updated to 3.1U and wiikey 1.9g, and now im getting 'cannot read disk errors" when i try to start the games that used to work before. then went into the 1.3 config and changed regionfrii to on and tried 3x and 6x but still same thing. Im just wondering why some games that worked before don't work now and it's confusing because half of the games before don't work and the other half work so im pretty sure my wiikey isn't messed up.
    I'm also pretty sure its not the media because the same media is being used, from the same batch, for most of my games and like i said, some games work and others dont anymore. :/ anything else i can try?

2. ImperialX

Member ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I'm suffering for the same thing. Now these following games no longer works:

-Excite Truck
    -Rayman Raving Rabbids

Running 3.1E PAL Wii with Wiikey 1.9g. Mario Galaxy works though. Region Free is on and Disc speed at 3x. Tried 6x and still doesn't work. All other games run fine with the same media.

3. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    With regards to half the batch working, and the other half batch not working, that is likely to be down to the media, or your burner, but most likely the media. I would suggest trying a tried and tested brand of media, something you know works (TYs or Verbatims). Spotty media would explain the sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't problem.

It's also possible that 1.9g has done something to your wiikeys which is causing these problems. Until you can clearly prove to yourselves that the media is not the problem (for example trying a game that doesn't work on a verbatim or TY disc), you won't be able to narrow it down.

1.9g is a beta hotfix, it's worked for the vast majority, If it's a bad flash, there's not much you can do except maybe try to flash it with 1.9b and see if that fixes anything.

The thing is a lot of people have updated their Wii's to 3.1 firmware, and updated to the 1.9g beta hotfix for the wiikey and there has been little in the way of reports of games not working after both those instances. I'm not saying it's not possible your wiikey's have gone wrong, but it's unlikely whether they were clones or originals (though I read now and again that the clones have bad fuses on them, whether that's true I cannot confirm).

4. spirited
    OP

United States
    damn i just burnt out smg on a TDK disk and its no go, said updating for about 30 minutes so i shut it off and then retried it again and it wouldnt even read teh disk afterwards. To my dismay, however, Dancing with teh Stars burnt on the same TDK works just fine... :[ It's now 3.1U with the 1.9g fix. I've tried Verbatim and Teon but my wii doesnt seem to like Verbatim that much.

Oh and for some reason my drive has problem pulling in the disk sometimes, could this be the problem for my cannot read disk or disk errors? It'll pull it halfway and try to keep pulling it in but the disk gets stuck adn then spits out, then the second time around it's fine. Then again this doesnt explain why certain disk like Dancing works 99.9% of the time and other ones dont. Sadness, guess all i have left is to dance my sorrows away.

5. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    sounds like your drive is f'ed up if you're having that many problems, at least it's a possibility.

do you verify the data written once you've burnt a disc? That can help to ensure that your burner is burning as it should and not making mistakes along the way.

some folks have used nintendo's advanced replacement scheme, where they send you a wii in advance and then you send the broken one in to them afterwards. They get the replacement, and swap the drives of their broken wii with the one from the replacement. It's dodgy but some have claimed it works, I've not heard of anyone being caught out yet. you could be the first if you try it.

well your warranty has gone, all you can do is take it to a shop you trust and ask them to take a look at it for you. Tell them what the problem is and they will probably say you need the drive replacing. Then you may have to contact nintendo tell them you need it fixed and ask how much it will cost. Then you probably need to get the wiikey resoldered. that's the worst case scenario though

6. spirited
    OP

United States
    eh.. a new burn of smg got me to the planet screen at the beginning then i stopped becuase i didnt have time but it did work. Now since smg works, i need to figure out why its not reading some previous games that use to work but doesnt now, since it's both burnt on the same media.