Cannot download stuff to SD card on Samsung Tab A

Discussion in 'Android' started by Harsky, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I own a stock 16gb Samsung Tab A tablet running Marshmallow and in the beginning, 16gb was enough. I would normally load up movies/comics from my PC to the micro SD card but recently I was recommended some apps where the music I stream can be downloaded as well and manga I read are saved to the internal storage so that I can read them offline. As you can imagine, this filled up quite quick but in the app, there was an option to download straight to the SD card but unfortunately, it gives me an error message saying that it's not possible.

Is this something where Android does not allow users to download direct to SD card or is this something that can only be done on rooted devices?

2. Braig

Braig GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Italy
    It could be a problem of your tablet, Samsung has limited the ability to run things from SD Cards on some phones or tablets.
    Indeed on my Tab E I can download manga to sd card without problems and it's not rooted.
    But since you have marshmallow maybe you can't download to sd card because you haven't allowed the permission to access to the storage of the tablet in the settings of the app that you use to download, altough It should be already allowed if you can download to internal storage.

Last edited by Braig, Oct 16, 2016
  3. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Newer android firmware allows you to use the sdhc card in two different modes. One way the is the normal way in which the sdhc card is extended non system storage. In the other mode the sdcard is used as extended system storage in which apps can be stored on it the same as internal nand memory. As far as I know, the two modes can't be combined.

yuyuyup likes this.
  4. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    use this tutorial, do everything that it says 100%, it's bad audio but this is the ticket to being able to move your apps/app data to SD after Android switched up their file system. One other thing, you use link2sd, you want the "paid" "plus" version because it allows you to move the big data/obb files (it's imperfect, some bigass data/obb just will not transfer. This pissed me off for a while but now I accept it. Most everything transfers fine.)