Skiletro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man :(
My only guess is that it's probably your school's firewall detecting that an old "PC" (such as a Wii, or vWii in this case) is trying to connect but is blocking it.
No worries, I can use my phone hotspot for now. It's just rather annoying to constantly monitor the data usage. Thanks for your help regardless^^.
I'll update the thread if I can manage to get it working and how I did it.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Skiletro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update: I contacted the ISP for my university internet and they couldn't figure out the issue either. They tried portforwarding my Wii U's MAC address which didn't fix the issue. I'm just gonna put it down to being one of those weird quirks with old Nintendo hardware until I can find any proper solution.

EDIT: I suspect it could be something to do with the vWii trying to get a different internal IP than the Wii U? But I can't really be sure as I don't know of any way to check what internal IP both modes are using.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Update: I contacted the ISP for my university internet and they couldn't figure out the issue either. They tried portforwarding my Wii U's MAC address which didn't fix the issue. I'm just gonna put it down to being one of those weird quirks with old Nintendo hardware until I can find any proper solution.

EDIT: I suspect it could be something to do with the vWii trying to get a different internal IP than the Wii U? But I can't really be sure as I don't know of any way to check what internal IP both modes are using.
Actually, that could be it. Does your university's internet support IPv4? (it's older than IPv6, and v6 has more addresses for the wider web but v4 is still used for local addresses) If not, then that might be why the vWii might be able to connect to the router but not the wider internet. I'll charge my gamepad and then connect my Wii U and vWii to the net and see if the addresses change at all.

Skiletro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, that could be it. Does your university's internet support IPv4? (it's older than IPv6, and v6 has more addresses for the wider web but v4 is still used for local addresses) If not, then that might be why the vWii might be able to connect to the router but not the wider internet. I'll charge my gamepad and then connect my Wii U and vWii to the net and see if the addresses change at all.
Yeah I'm well aware of the differences. I'm pretty sure it exclusively only supports IPv4. Also according to the homebrew channel on the vWii, the network isn't "being initialized" which just makes me even more confused.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm well aware of the differences. I'm pretty sure it exclusively only supports IPv4. Also according to the homebrew channel on the vWii, the network isn't "being initialized" which just makes me even more confused.
Huh. That's weird. Maybe the LAN adapter is the problem? As stupid as that may sound.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I get the exact same issue if I'm using WiFi or the LAN Adapter so I doubt it? Both work fine on Wii U but don't on vWii.
Hm.. Well, I guess you'll need to make your own "hot spot".
This is probably against the rules but what I'd do is get out my own router, plug it into the university's ethernet port in your room, and then have them add its MAC to their whitelist, then have your vWii/Wii U connect over that instead.
Or just a Wi-Fi repeater, either way could work

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
might be able to use your phone as a hot spot as well, and you could essentially bypass the university. it may use up data though, if that's a problem for you.
Yeah, that's why I suggested using a repeater or router.
Wouldn't fully bypass them, but it'd probably get through the security/firewall that's preventing the vWii from connecting. (And I DON'T mean the MAC filter)

Reactions: godreborn

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same issue but I'm using my home network
It used to work but then a critical storm caused my network to fuck up it's job for 3 days. I changed the network provider to Spectrum, and it stopped working after that.
Post automatically merged:

I am considering to use my phone hotspot, but I'm afraid I'll waste all my data on downloading covers for USB Loader GX

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I have the same issue but I'm using my home network
It used to work but then a critical storm caused my network to fuck up it's job for 3 days. I changed the network provider to Spectrum, and it stopped working after that.

I am considering to use my phone hotspot, but I'm afraid I'll waste all my data on downloading covers for USB Loader GX
If you switched to spectrum before the storm fuck-up: Your modem might be partially fried.
If you switched to spectrum after the storm: General network infrastructure shared between providers may be fried.

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you switched to spectrum before the storm fuck-up: Your modem might be partially fried.
If you switched to spectrum after the storm: General network infrastructure shared between providers may be fried.
We switched after the storm. And I guess it's fried but another one of my problematic systems is my 3DS, which connects perfectly.

Network not initialized means the Homebrew Channel can't connect to internet

Last edited by deckerboii,

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FIXED IT!!! I had to use my PC hotspot because I read another post on Reddit and apparently you need the use 2.4 GHz band and you need to add it at the end of the network name.

Reactions: godreborn

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I FIXED IT!!! I had to use my PC hotspot because I read another post on Reddit and apparently you need the use 2.4 GHz band and you need to add it at the end of the network name.
Yeah, the only Nintendo console that supports 5Ghz so far is the switch. (technically, the Wii U has 5Ghz, buuut that's reserved soley for connecting the Gamepad)

NestorM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi. My wii u works with wifi and ethernet, but vwii works only with wifi, not ethernet.
When i play my wiivc injections wiimmfi patched, it works with wifi but not ethernet. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man :(
My only guess is that it's probably your school's firewall detecting that an old "PC" (such as a Wii, or vWii in this case) is trying to connect but is blocking it.
In the hotspot detected devices (on my PC) it detected it as Nintendo Wii U. Probably ask your university to let it connect

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
In the hotspot detected devices (on my PC) it detected it as Nintendo Wii U. Probably ask your university to let it connect
Yeah, the Wii U will show up as "Nintendo Wii U" in most router interfaces, even under vWii. ALSO!!! Make sure to provide your Wii U's MAC address as well.

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the Wii U will show up as "Nintendo Wii U" in most router interfaces, even under vWii. ALSO!!! Make sure to provide your Wii U's MAC address as well.
No, it won't. It will mark as Wii. I just used it yesterday and it said Wii when I used the network on vWii. Also, are you asking me to provide my MAC address or post author?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

deckerboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. My wii u works with wifi and ethernet, but vwii works only with wifi, not ethernet.
When i play my wiivc injections wiimmfi patched, it works with wifi but not ethernet. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
What's your adapter? Are you using USB to LAN or official Wii LAN adapter?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: