Homebrew Cannonball Wii (standalone port) - Edit Controls

TheManHimself

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to change the gearshift button to a less awkward button when you are using a Gamecube controller? The default mapping where shift is set to Z is an unwieldy default choice (rear-end a truck? quick! move your thumb all the way from a comfortable resting place on the big green button that provides redundant digital acceleration on a controller with a perfect pressure-sensitive analog shoulder button, to the most awkward position on the controller to downshift->upshift to regain traction), and the fact that the menu button is inexplicably unmapped is just bizarre (seriously, you have to grab an entirely different controller to access the menu!). Really, Z would make much more sense as a menu button. Looking at the config.xml brings up an array of numbers in the keyconfig setting. Does anybody know what numbers should be put in the <gear1> and <gear2> field so that shift corresponds with the A button on the GCN controller?

(sorry that came across as salty. I've been playing this port a ton for like 3 years and I'm just taken by some of the choices made haha)

anyway, here is the pertinent part of the config.xml file. Also, for what it's worth, I did the obvious thing and switched the values around between <gear1>/<gear2> and <menu>, and also left the <acc> field null, and nothing happened. are the controls hard-coded, or does the xml file only apply to the classic controller/wiimote?

<controls>
<keyconfig>
<up>273</up>
<down>274</down>
<left>276</left>
<right>275</right>
<acc>122</acc>
<brake>120</brake>
<gear1>32</gear1>
<gear2>32</gear2>
<start>49</start>
<coin>53</coin>