Canada

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nomearod, May 14, 2007.

May 14, 2007

Canada by Nomearod at 5:06 PM (1,652 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Nomearod
    OP

Member Nomearod GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    I have to do a work for school where I need to talk about Canada. The problem is that my teacher wants us to tell some specific things about the country and the people.

For example, in Portugal the only sport that people care is soccer and things like religion are very important (last day there were more than half million people in a very known church here...).

Is things like this that my teacher want to know. I mean, things that doesn't exactly appear on wikipedia but are important to know a country.

Here are some questions:
    Do you have any special tradition? What are people like around there? Do you have any special food there? What people enjoy to do with their families? Is religion and politic important?

I don't want people to answer exactly to this questions. If possible, describe as much as you can your country (Canada) and the way people live there.

[​IMG]

2. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    i would like to help you , but i live in Québec ... and let's say that our culture is quite different that with other provinces. (that would be a point , here we have provinces not states) but i could say that Hockey is THE sport in Canada. And here in Québec , the Church is not really infulent anymore. Oh and talk about the Maple Syrup , it always impress tourists. [​IMG]

3. tshu

Member tshu On epic journey, brb.

Canada
    The thing about Canada is that it is pretty multi-cultural. You could ask a hundred different Canadians what their traditions, religion, ect is like, and they will give you a hundred different answers.

Although with that being said, there are still definitely some Canadian traditions to speak of.

Hockey is pretty much the most popular sport in Canada, I think everyone can agree on that.

Food is pretty different in different areas of the country. Fast food etc is pretty much the same as USA, and probably other countries, burgers ect, nothing too crazy here, although I think on the east coast they serve lobster at McDonalds. Tourtiere meat pie is a french-canadian food. Alot of fish, salmon, seafood things are eaten I suppose. Mostly in the fishing areas.

I don't even know what else to add. Religion? Like the USA, I suppose that Christians are the majority. But still, I mean, where I live in Toronto, I live beside a Christian church, and across the street from a Buddhist Temple.

4. Akoji

Canada
    Yeah and while we can talk about french-canadian food, you can add «Poutine» which is a bunch of french fries with some cheese and some sauce on it, it quite popular in fast food hotdog places and i think that it the only place where you can find that meal (Québec) And like i said im surprised that Tshu didn't talked about Maple Syrup, i just arrived from Walt Disney World in Florida and we eated in a ''Canadian Restaurant'' and almost every meal had maple syrup in it, which is a great thing haha.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Canada? Talk about weed. [​IMG]

Nah, there's the government healthcare and all sorts of interesting politics.

6. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    We Drink alot of coffee and Beer.
    and we do it doggy style so we can both watch the hockey game.

7. Akoji

Canada
    Hehe yeah i forgot about out healthcare XD here we don't pay for things like broken arms or when you are sick , you have an healthcare card that is also used has a valid photo id [​IMG] and if you have that card well you can benefit most of the medical care services for ''free'' but we pays taxes for that.(here on all things that we buy we have 15% or 16% of taxes)

8. Akoji

Canada
    Oups... Dbl Post [​IMG] sorry laggy connection at school.

9. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Speaking of which, hows the education system? I'm guessing comparable to the US?

10. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    its not coffee its tim hortons, huge difference. Im pretty sure their coffee is laced with cocaine

11. Akoji

Canada
    Well i think so, but here going to college is quite more cheaper, like the classes i do now cost the province like 17000 each person (Can$) and i only pay like 50$ per sessions. From what i heard classes cost a lot in the US

12. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You could watch the south park episode where they go in canada(It's a christmas special if I'm not mistaken) it's really like that here, except that it's not. Anyway, yeah talk about hockey, maple syrup, you can also talk about the "Carnaval de Québec" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Winter_Carnival . You can also talk about the stupid people who still want to make Quebec it's own country, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Quebec_referendum . People didn't want that in 1980 or 1995 so they should stop with that, they are wasting their time on that when there are alot more problems in Québec.

13. Nomearod
    OP

Member Nomearod GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    First, thanks to all of you. This is great stuff to add to the work.

A just need one more thing which I don't really know how to explain [​IMG]

For example, people from England are know for their british humor, and in Ireland there's the "traditional" story-tellers (does this word really exist? [​IMG] ). And how about Canada? There's something like this?

14. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    DarkRamza, you live in Lachine? Kewl. I live in Pointe-Claire, but my school is in Lachine.

You never know, but maybe we already saw ourselves somewhere.

15. nileyg

Member nileyg GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think i need to move to Canada...

16. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    Watch 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'. The USA is Johnny Depp and Canada is his mildly retarded little brother Leonardo Decaprio; lovable but generally in to mischief, and for God's sake "nobody hits Arnie!".

17. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    One word: LOL.
    Another one: True.

Us Canadians favor a good hockey game [​IMG]
    We don't let anything stop us from watching one (well, some people don't like teh hockay, but, as we say in Quebec: "J'men criss de vous! Laissez moi regarder mon match d'hockey!")