Can you use WiiU Gamepad controls in Vwii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by g00gly0eyes, May 6, 2018.

1. g00gly0eyes
    OP

g00gly0eyes Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2013
    United States
    I'd like to use Wii homebrew and use the WiiU gamepad's controls, is this possible? I specifically want to use Devolution, as it's the only way I know of that the Wii can go online to play Phantasy Star Online. If this is impossible, can I play Gamecube games using the WiiU gamepad as a controller in any other way?

2. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You cannot use the gamepad controls while your in vWii Mode. However, you can trick the system into using the gamepad controls while your using vWii Homebrew in normal WiiU Mode.

Search for the Nintendont WiiU homebrew app. Nintendont is basiclly a vWii Gamecube emulator, but the WiiU version of the app lets you launch Nintendont from the WiiU home menu without going into vWii Mode first. This lets you play with the gamepad as the controls and screen, because your launching the app via WiiU, not vWii.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's possible to use WiiU gamepad only in updated homebrew, and you need to launch that homebrew using a special method (injection of WiiU channel).
    I don't think Devolution has WiiU gamepad support, but I didn't follow its development so I can't tell.

If all you want is gamecube with WiiU gamepad support, then Nintendont is compatible.
    You'll have to launch it from an injected WiiU channel, you need to look and learn how to do it by following the WiiU VC script injector thread.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  4. g00gly0eyes
    OP

g00gly0eyes Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2013
    United States
    Would it be possible to create a Devolution WiiVC injected channel and have gamepad controls? Or maybe launch the homebrew channel?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Devolution isn't open source, so no.
    Why do you specifically want Devolution? Nintendont has gotten so good at this point that there is really no reason to use Devolution anymore.

6. g00gly0eyes
    OP

g00gly0eyes Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2013
    United States
    I need Devolution to play Phantasy Star Online online. Nintendont doesn't have support for the modem or BBA does it?

7. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    I was pretty sure that the TeconMoon vWii Injector supported mapping the Gamepad to a Classic Controller, and you could use it to inject Devolution. However, iirc it only lets you use the SD card for games, not a USB drive.

8. g00gly0eyes
    OP

g00gly0eyes Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2013
    United States
    Hey, do you know how to go about doing that? As far as I can tell, you can only use links to Wii channels or Wii retail games with the gamepad controls using WiiVC Injector. Is there a way to make Devolution into a .wad and link to its title? Or do Homebrew apps already have titles? Could I just link to the Homebrew Channel? The SD card thing is fine with me, since it's just the one game I want to use with Devolution.

9. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Oh. I assumed that homebrew would work with the Classic Controller, as you can get Nintendont with Gamepad support from Wii U USB Helper.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted