Gaming can you upgrade a graphics card on a macbook?

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting a laptop and i was deadset on one of the macbooks since they run windows now, but now i'm a little skeptical because i'm a pc gamer and i heard you can't upgrade the macbooks graphics card because its integrated. Is this true?

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Ive got one of the new macbooks, and the graphics are sweet (I prefer PC's but I like my macbook). Not sure about upgrading, but I can run Fallout 3 on high graphics without slowdown (2gb of RAM) using Boot Camp. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the graphics because I'm getting an extra 2gb of RAM put in.

My best advice is get one of the new Macbooks, run boot camp and upgrade the RAM if you feel necessary. If not then just stick with a PC Laptop. Oh and by the way the only method of running high graphic PC games on a mac is to use boot camp, because something like parallels or crossover cant give it access to use the graphics card or something.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, as most laptops you can't upgrade the graphics. In the Macbook there is a GPU integrated into the chipset. Some laptops use MXM cards, but there is nearly no way to buy MXM cards + then you'll get into trouble with heat.

the 9400m G the Macbooks is OK for light gaming, but if you like to play the newest games: Stick to a desktop PC.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raki said:
No, as most laptops you can't upgrade the graphics. In the Macbook there is a GPU integrated into the chipset. Some laptops use MXM cards, but there is nearly no way to buy MXM cards + then you'll get into trouble with heat.

the 9400m G the Macbooks is OK for light gaming, but if you like to play the newest games: Stick to a desktop PC.

Something that I have "sticked" to since the release of the 680i SLi Motherboard. Honestly, if you want to get a good laptop and you want to play games properly on it just look for a normal laptop, not a macbook. Check out some Toshiba and HP models, some come with 9600m GT's, which is great, but yet again it depends on the the kind of gaming you want to do.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to do any sort of real gaming you shouldn't bother getting a Macbook. Just go for a Sager NP8662 and never look back.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Lodis said:
If you want to do any sort of real gaming you shouldn't bother getting a Macbook. Just go for a Sager NP8662 and never look back.

Dude, I checked out that laptop, pricey but HOLYCRAPTHATSAWESOME!
biggrin.gif

Is it worth the arm and leg?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1