Can you touch type?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Prime, Jun 17, 2008.

?

Touch Type

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 17, 2008

Can you touch type? by Prime at 6:50 PM (3,714 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. Prime
    OP

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

2. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Nope! But I'm working on it... It's a pain to use the keyboard in the dark.

3. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Yes I can... although I have trouble with the numbers since it has been 4 years since I learned it.

4. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Sorta, but I can "touch write" perfeclty!

5. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    Yes. Although sometimes I place my hands wrong at the start and type every letter one to the left or something.

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    yep i can. i type about 70-80 wpm, though i do make a few mistakes.

7. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm practicing it as well. The only thing I know is the ASDF Spacebar JKL; position for the hands. When it comes to what keys are around them, IDK...

QFT.

8. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    This was written by touch typing. I mean , who doesn't touch type ?
    Although I cant't do it perfectly , I make mistakes sometimes because one finger is faster than the other. [​IMG]
    Got my own writing style though. It's using four fingers. [​IMG]

9. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I can, but not the normal "home-row" way. That way sucks and is too slow IMO. Typing my way gets me 80 WPM.

10. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    Yes. I learned in gradeschool with a cardboard box covering my hands so I couldn't look down at them. I would have the box over the keys and play a game like "paws program" a typing program with a cartoon cat. It was on 5 1/2 floppies. I've kept up my studies with help from mavis beacon teachs typing and mario typing. I never look at the keyboard when I'm typing anymore.

Sometimes I freak my friends out because they walk into my room and I'm typing on the computer while looking out the window. Or they will ask me a question and I'll talk to them and type something else at the same time. I've had acouple friends tell me I was a freak for doing so. They would stand in my door way and ask me something. but they would be compelled to come in and verify I was actually typing something out and not just key mashing. Its a good exercise in multi-tasking and mental dexterity.

Plus when I'm on a roll touch typing, doing it really fast because I have alot of words to get out or a deadline to meet...it sounds like I am just mashing on the keyboard. Fun stuff. Everyone should learn.

11. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Nope still typing just like the first day 17~ years ago.

12. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Oooh! Paws typing town! And they would rhyme every lesson number. My elementary (not in it anymore(going to 8th!).. but my brother is) school which uses Macs still uses it. They had it installed on the computers in the computer lab.

13. Rehehelly

Member Rehehelly GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes, and have been for the past few years.

However, if I get one finger out of place things tend to get shifted over a letter, e.g Hello becomes Jr;;p

14. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    im a bad typist, but i can write with both hands...

15. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Oh hellz yea i can. My mother forced me to take a typing class in highschool, and it was the best thing for me to do. I can do about 90 wpm with about 99% accuracy. Numbers aren't a problem and 9 times out of 10 i can hit the symbols of those numbers as well.

Heh, i'm the go-to Menu Typist for our team at work (a nation wide coupon/restaurant magazine).

I enjoy typing [​IMG]

16. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I remember only one thing from typing class in 6th grade, "Hands on home row". I never got used to it.

Since then I have pretty much memorized the entire keyboard, but I can't do touch typing properly. I can type 58 words per minute though.

17. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States

haha..I'm pretty sure there have been acouple versions...but man, thats funny. We did use old ass macs at the time. With like monochromatic green screens. It would be great if they still used them at my elementary school. I would die to play that typing game again.

18. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    I can, but I normally don't. Actually, I'm trying it right now.

19. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I can't, I tried and tried but just can't seem to learn to type without looking at the keyboard.

I can force myself to type without that standard touch type position and without looking at the keyboard but the mistakes are endless.

20. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I can touch type. My parents set me infront of an old Smith Corona Word Processor when I was 6 years old, opened the typing/keyboarding book to page 3, where lesson one began and told me that I was going to learn to type--it was a skill and would be more useful to me in the coming years than it was to them and my mom was working with IBM so I guess typing was pretty darn useful in her work.

I typed that entire book out and I have to admit that after the first few lessons it gets boring to have to "cheat" and look at the keyboard all the time, plus I was always to curious as to what else was going on around the place, so yeah, I dont need to look at all to type and if I can get to a desk and not have extra junk in my way/around my hands and the keyboard then I type about 70 wpm average. If I'm typing something that I am making up for myself, not what is dictated elsewhere than I can get even faster.

I wasn't very fast at typing though, even having learned to type when I was very young, it wasn't until I went to the business school right after I turned 16. They make you relearn typing from the get go and you must do 55 wpm on 90 out of the 120 typing test that you will take along with the other "base skills requirement" to get even a "D" in the first semester of business school...My fastest time on record at school is 117wpm with 3 errors.

So I can touch type really well.