Can you still not get emunand above 9.5 on new3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bbcali89, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bbcali89
    OP

bbcali89 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 16, 2013
    United States
    Chicago
    And will this ever change? why is this the case btw.

2. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    You need the keys

3. Luksor

Luksor Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    Poland
    Haven't plutoo described how to calculate them in the talk?

4. andriy921

andriy921 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2015
    No. They are console-unique and console-unique data used to init them is also console-unique encrypted, so the only ways are arm9 exploit on 9.6+ sysnand or early arm9 exploit.

5. Luksor

Luksor Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    Poland
    So, are ntrcardhax or arm9loaderhax suitable for that?

6. andriy921

Dec 1, 2015
    They are both suitable, but have implementation problems.
    I hope that I'm mistaking, but here how I understand this:
    arm9loaderhax requires you to change the key for initing 0x11 to something that decrypts firm image to garbage that contains specific instruction. But the problem is firmware is encrypted with console-unique key (so you need unique hack key for each console) and this key needs to be placed in the console-unique encypted area. So: you can not just create generic key that would work for everyone and you can not create pc app that generates that key based on firm image. So the only way is manually trying booting your 3ds with different key cryptotext using hardmode. I really hope that I'm wrong here.
    ntrcardhax requires you to use DS card with really specific firmware. Generally Gateway has blue card. But I don't know if their card can be updated, unbanned and if it's powerful enough to run exploit. And also this method is not permanent. If Nintendo does both: patches ntrcardhax and changes the keys again, you won't be able to have emunand beginning with that version.

7. Luksor

Luksor Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    Poland
    Oh wow, so it's not that easy as i thought :P. Thank you very much for clarifying.

8. sgtPembry

sgtPembry Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2015
    France
    So if you don't want to have only illegal games, you should wait for a way to have 9.6+ emuNAND on N3DS.

Maybe there is a way to play recents legal games on 9.5... These informations are hard to find.

Last edited by sgtPembry, Jan 4, 2016
  9. andriy921

Dec 1, 2015
    What do you mean by legal/illegal games?

There is really little chance of getting 9.6+.

10. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Why can't the emunand loader/installer take care of all that? Since the update file(s), at least the ones on game carts, are the same for everyone that means the 3ds has to re-encrypt it for each individual 3ds as it is installed. So why can't the emunand installer just patch the install/update code so that it either isn't re-encrypted or is done with a key pair that is already known? Then the emunand loader can patch the emunand code as it is booting to use those same keys rather than the ones in the 3ds hardware.

If I remember correctly, that is how it worked back in the days of PSP emunand (Devhook) days where you would boot an emulated 3.0 or whatever from firmware 1.5.