Hacking Can you start from scratch?

Jynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this Wii last Christmas. I hacked it then and played games, all was good. I haven't turned the wii on since February! So now I this wii that is fairly outdated as far as the Wii OS and all other files that I used at the time that were current. I got some new game backups and of course nothings working. I did grab some wad files for the latest games but seriously this needs an overhaul and the latest launcher..etc. I'm not using a USB loader, CD's still.

So basically is there any way to completely format this wii, start over w/ the LATEST walk through to have the latest launches and whatnot? And before all that is done am I able to update the Wii to the newest OS from Nintendo first..etc

Any help is appreciated. Kids are driving me nuts.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jynx said:
I got this Wii last Christmas. I hacked it then and played games, all was good. I haven't turned the wii on since February! So now I this wii that is fairly outdated as far as the Wii OS and all other files that I used at the time that were current. I got some new game backups and of course nothings working. I did grab some wad files for the latest games but seriously this needs an overhaul and the latest launcher..etc. I'm not using a USB loader, CD's still.

So basically is there any way to completely format this wii, start over w/ the LATEST walk through to have the latest launches and whatnot? And before all that is done am I able to update the Wii to the newest OS from Nintendo first..etc

Any help is appreciated. Kids are driving me nuts.

Just read through my guide/follow the simplistic mod guide from beginning to end. Even running the hackmii installer to install the HBC. That will install a more recent version of the HBC. Everything will pretty much overwrite whatever is there.

Do you happen to know what you installed on your Wii before though? Was CIOSCORP involved at all? That should pretty much be the only thing that would cause any sort of problem.

Jynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been a long time but I do know it wasn't CIOSCORP. Am I able to update the Wii itself also? I believe off hand I'm sub 4.0, 3.something.

Edit:

I just looked at your guide. Should I follow it from beginning to end installing EVERYTHING LISTED from top of your post to the bottom, in that order.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jynx said:
Its been a long time but I do know it wasn't CIOSCORP. Am I able to update the Wii itself also? I believe off hand I'm sub 4.0, 3.something.

Edit:

I just looked at your guide. Should I follow it from beginning to end installing EVERYTHING LISTED from top of your post to the bottom, in that order.

Well you should at least read through everything first. After reading you should know what you need to install.

If you have the HBC already you can run the hackmii installer from there instead of using bannerbomb. Then install the HBC and bootmii to boot2 if possible from there. And then use bootmii to make a NAND backup.

If you already have a cIOS installed (if you were playing backups through a backup launcher then you do) or if you are on 3.2 or lower, then you don't need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer, and you can just run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use IOS249 instead. (or any 2 digit IOS if you don't have a cIOS and are on 3.2 or lower.)

Then you can do the updating system menu steps, but since you didn't use the Trucha Bug Restorer you can also use dop-IOS to install the latest IOS36 with the sig hash check and ES_Identify.

You could install the cMIOS/gc backup launcher if you want to load gc backups through that.

Update your backup launcher to NeoGamma R7 after deleting your old one. If you installed a channel of that backup loader you should delete it through wad manager by using that same wad you used to install it. Deleting it through the system menu will leave the ticket still on your Wii.

Wad Manager doesn't need to be installed, but you can use Wad Manager 1.4 or 1.5 for any other wad's you do want to install.

Preloader also isn't really NECESSARY, but is useful for extra brick protection and system menu hacks like blocking disc updates. If you couldn't install bootmii to boot2 you should definitely get this.

Get a USB loader if you want to load your games from a USB device.

And I don't recommend using CIOSCORP, but it is there with some info on it if you really do want it.

Jynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I just go ahead and do an official update will it erase every tiny thing and make it as if I just opened the thing. And then I can follow the newer hacking guides. Or will even an update leave some traces or files of the previous hack. I'm just worried older files and cIOS's will be lingering and i'd feel more comfortable starting with a virgin wii with absolutely no customer files on the system but I can't figure out how to do this.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jynx said:
So if I just go ahead and do an official update will it erase every tiny thing and make it as if I just opened the thing. And then I can follow the newer hacking guides. Or will even an update leave some traces or files of the previous hack.

This will work. If you decide to use this method though, do it soon while the official update is still 4.1, as you never know when 4.2 might pop up, and what protection it may bring. Here's the best guide I've run across (I'ved used it at least 10 Wiis now, of varying system settings and mod status, including a couple LU64s, without a hitch). Pay close attention, and read all of the warnings carefully, and start wherever you need to based on your Wii's current status.

http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...mp;p=9923#p9923

Once you finish, I recommend going to www.bootmii.org and installing BootMii (install as boot2 if possible) and the newest HBC via the hackmii installer, and Preloader can be installed as well (find it at Wiibrew.org) if you like the hacks it offers. Remember to copy the 4.1 hacks for your region.

And avoid CIOSCorp; it causes way more trouble than it's worth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: